+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, SAN Setup in Technical; Originally Posted by tmcd35 Ouch! let's start with some simplification - do you need a managed switch? Let's see, you'd ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Ouch!

let's start with some simplification - do you need a managed switch?

Let's see, you'd probably get away with an IP on your standard range and linking the managed switch to your standard LAN. I'd say to do it properly the managed switch would need to support VLAN's so you have the SAN traffic on one VLAN seperate from the uplink port for switch management on no VLAN. So the only traffic going along the uplink port between a standard infrastructure switch and the SAN switch is management traffic.

I can't, yet, see a way of making it work using an IP in the SAN range.
    The managed switch will be the same as our current switches I up-graded two years ago - which are HP 800's which I know support VLANS - I'll only need an 8 port one to start with but may get a 24 one just in case some more equipment wants to connect to the SAN at a later date - [ 2008 servers as like you said 2003 doesn't support cluster shared volumes ] We have a LAMP server and I have a few FreeNAS boxes on the network so may try and connect those too. Plus I may try and run a Virtual Server off it just to see how it performs - this particular SANs HDs don't spin that quick so may not be up to the task of running a Virtual Server.

Thank Post
    So you bought a Hitachi SAN never mind, we held out and got the Equallogic PS-4000e.

Whilst deliberating as to what to buy into I found the Dell Tech website full of great info and Training Videos, these PDF's were extremely useful for explaining how it all works.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global...i-planning.pdf
    http://www.dell.com/downloads/global...ementation.pdf
    http://www.dell.com/downloads/global...protection.pdf

3. Thanks to m25man from:

mattx (5th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Certainly was not my choice but the NM went with it because of the 'cost......'
    'Don't shoot the messenger as the saying goes.... ;-) '
    Thanks for the links btw.

Thank Post
    I've got a hitachi sms 100 san and i found it easy to setup with the quick install guide , you need a windows machine to install the software that comes with it , this allows you to create , size and name the drives. once you have done the drive setup you can connect an ESXi server to it and with vsphere client (free to download) configure the storage target. you don't need a managed switch. i've got my server direct connected to one of the ports on the SAN , you can use all four ports ie 3 direct connected servers and one connection to network to allow use of vsphere client , if you want to connect more you will need a managed switch.

on the server i used a 192.168 range for the direct connection with fixed IP , on the network port I've just allowed it to use DHCP and all seems to be happy at moment.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xenonive View Post
    I've got a hitachi sms 100 san and i found it easy to setup with the quick install guide , you need a windows machine to install the software that comes with it , this allows you to create , size and name the drives. once you have done the drive setup you can connect an ESXi server to it and with vsphere client (free to download) configure the storage target. you don't need a managed switch. i've got my server direct connected to one of the ports on the SAN , you can use all four ports ie 3 direct connected servers and one connection to network to allow use of vsphere client , if you want to connect more you will need a managed switch.

on the server i used a 192.168 range for the direct connection with fixed IP , on the network port I've just allowed it to use DHCP and all seems to be happy at moment.
    I'm not impressed with the documentation at all - it's a mess and all over the place.
    I was hoping there would be a few diagrams of various setups within a LAN enviroment etc but all there is 2, and even those are useless to me. It would be nice to have diagrams with examples of IP ranges instead of the a picture of the SAN with lines coming out of it not showing even what ports they are connected to !! I'll make up my own I think.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    @mattx:

Would this be what you are looking for:

Hitachi SMS100 | NAS | ZDNet UK

8. Thanks to bossman from:

mattx (6th May 2010)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    @mattx:

Forget last post matt just watched it and it is just a sales video

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @mattx:

Would this be what you are looking for:

Hitachi SMS100 | NAS | ZDNet UK
    Thanks for that - found what I needed in the Planning Your Deployment guide - [ WHICH WAS NOT ON THE CD HITACHI PLEASE NOTE !! ]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12