Poll: What wireless solutions do you have in your school? need ideas?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, how long do servers usually last. is it about 5 years? in Technical; Hi just a question really. I currently writing my ICT network development plan and am planning for server changes. the ...
    Thank Post

how long do servers usually last. is it about 5 years?

Hi

just a question really.

I currently writing my ICT network development plan and am planning for server changes. the school changed all there critical servers in 2004, these are the HP proliant ML370 G3 servers. Do you think I can safely say in my plan that these servers will require replacement in 2008/2009.

One is the file server which has a raid 5 array and is responsible for all files ranging from shared drives to home directories, these server does a lot of work and I am planning to purchase another server to lighten the load of files from this server and the other hp server serves the MIS system. both are dual xeon servers, one has 4gb ram and the other has 3.5gb ram. both with raid arrays.

Do you think I be sensible in my plan to say these will require replacing in 2008. I know i cant predict anything like this but its just really to give SMT the idea. What my plan is I may demote these to lighter roles such as proxy servers or printer/exchange/application servers if i given some money from now till 2008 just to improve the performance of the network.

does anyone have any advice they could give me?

thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 923 Posts

Re: how long do servers usually last. is it about 5 years?

In my last plan I wrote, I put something along the lines of "preparations for replacement of key servers (Exchange, DC, MIS etc) should be being made from Y3 onwards especially if there has been a large increase in load / usage since the original purchase was made. The replacement of these servers should take place in Y5" In that same document I put that light load servers EG Print and basic servers such as simply Proxy solutions etc should be used for 5+ years, but should be used no longer than 8-10 years.

In reality you will change key ones in year 5 and the rest when budget permits / when you change a key one, do as you have already said use an old one for a less taxing task.

Workstations should also have a 5 year life, unless they are used for a major complex task such as 24X7 video editiing as they often benifit from the newer CPUs that come out so they should be constantly reviewed and cascaded down to lighter areas.

The way I have had it work before is a 5 year life, machines have a 3 year warranty so Y1 & 2 in a real key use area, such as IT centre, so they are given a good hammering so hopefully if they are going to fail they will do when its free repairs and parts, Y3 -5 in a lighter area eg classroom. Offices will get machines either brand new for 5 years or Y3 stock and last for another 3 years or so. IT tech offices get new every 3 years as we have to keep up to date.

Laptops I only tend to give a 3-5 year life pushing on that if its used a lot replace in Y3 as by that point they often seem to have iffy track pads, keyboards and the batterys are useless and by that point its going to be expensive to replace / repair those items.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries

With the speed at which requirements on servers is increasing I would put a 4 year cap on any server's life. 3 Years for the key roles. As most servers come with a 3year warranty (unless you pay huge amounts for more years) I would say it is advisable to stick to that as your rolling stock system too - and external support contracts generally won't support units which are > 3 years old.

With regards to workstations - what sort of experience are you providing the users if they have a 5 year old computer? Things like Sims.net would simply not run on a 5 year old computer. Also, with the ever increasing use of multimedia software (including video stuff), 5 year old machines would likely not cut it in the class room either. Workstations I would say are 3 - 4 year maximum really.

Thank Post

ranj
    what sort of infastructure do the servers support?

Thank Post

they support 250 clients. we have a gigabit backbone to our main cabinets and in there they have 100mb switches.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread