+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, APC Smart UPS 1500 - Replacement battery or do I need a new unit? in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

APC Smart UPS 1500 - Replacement battery or do I need a new unit?

Hi there!

Last week our school's support team notified me the backup battery on our server was running low so I should get another in place ASAP. They gave me a supplier to contact and so I got onto them, and asked them for a replacement etc..

Now this is the first time i've dealt with one of these, so I'm going to be honest and say I don't know much about them! I assumed the battery was the entire unit, if you get what I mean. So they gave me a quote for the unit (£345) which on a quick google seemed a fairly competitive price (as they also take away the old one). I was in a bit of a rush so I didn't really think much about it and placed the order.

Now I got into school today and the unit had arrived, so I had a little look in the manual to check it out before I did anything crazy, and then I noticed this line 'this UPS has an easy to replace, hot-swappable battery module..' and it goes on, to say how easy it is to replace the battery. Suddenly i'm thinking... 'hmm!'. So on another quick google I see that you can buy a replacement battery for like £100.. even from RM! Now i'm thinking 'have I just spent money on something we don't even need!' - and believe me, I hate that feeling, usually being a real bargain hunter..

So I figure, okay no panic, i'll get back to my support team. They have clarified that in their experience it is not a good idea to replace the battery inside, and it is easier in the long run to buy a new unit. So now i'm feeling a bit better, but i'm still slightly dubious about the fact that the unit is over 3 times the price of the battery, and that this other company is coming along the pick up our old unit (which presumably just needs a new battery - for nothing!)

So am I just being paranoid or are we being ripped off?

Honest opinions please

TheLibrarian
    IMO you were ripped off, battery replacement is easy, much cheaper, and why would you replace a working unit?

3. Thanks to TheLibrarian from:

cbeeching (26th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,534 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep it does not require a new unit just a new battery. With the replacement battery the unit will just as good as a new one. Sorry to give you bad news.

Who is your support team?

Thank Post
    1500's have a horrible habit of developing faults soon after replacing the battery, so tbh it was probably best to replace the whole thing.

6. Thanks to teejay from:

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    1500's have a horrible habit of developing faults soon after replacing the battery, so tbh it was probably best to replace the whole thing.
    IME this has not been the case, I've replaced > I've had hot dinners, never had any problems.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We have many around school i have replaced around 25 - 30 batteries and never ever had a problem

Thank Post
    See now that's what my support team said, which does justify buying a whole new unit I guess?

They are schools IT systems support (SITSS) linked with Hertfordshire council.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Did you actually buy the UPS from them?

11. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Yep it does not require a new unit just a new battery. With the replacement battery the unit will just as good as a new one. Sorry to give you bad news.

Who is your support team?
    Don't worry, I asked for honest opinions

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Did you actually buy the UPS from them?
    No, I bought the UPS from globe microsystems, which was the supplier they recommended..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've got a 1500 unit sat under my desk, with its 3rd battery in it. Works A-OK.

The question is - is the UPS doing a mission critical task, and was it under warranty.

Personally, if the UPS was out of warranty, and needed a new battery, I'd be looking at replacing it myself.

15. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    It acts as the backup power supply for our main server/sims server so I guess it is fairly critical. As far as I know it is out of warranty, I think it's a good 3/4 years old though I've only been here since Jan so I can't be sure.

Thank Post
    Our LEA said the same thing (replace unit, not battery). I looked at the price, decided against it, and the 2 batts I have replaced (in 2 different units!) are still going strong...

18. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for the input all. Seems like I might give the company a ring on Wednesday (not in tommorow! Hurrah!).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread