+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, If every student had a laptop...... in Technical; It's quite interesting to re-read this thread (from *moons* ago) and look at the ideas behind it ... the same ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's quite interesting to re-read this thread (from *moons* ago) and look at the ideas behind it ... the same discussions are going on today but with different devices and some different educational terms.

We now have iPads and Flipped Classroom rather than laptops and independent learning.

Thank Post
    Dook, for once I agree with you. The same discussions....

<Interruption_Phone>
    Staff - "How do I draw a angled line accross a page in MsWord 2010?"
    </Interruption_Phone>

I said six years ago: -

My one question is :- Does all this stuff really make the difference?

Nah I dont think so.
    Hummmmmm. Same s**t different day/year.

When is someone going to make Discipline, Honesty, Hard Work & Resect the new 'Buzz Words' or next big 'Innovation in Teaching & Learning'.

When are we finally going to see 'Free Range' Children again?

Sad. Really sad.

Thank Post
    HI

I think this will be the technology to get round battery life problems

Powermat Wireless Charging System review - Peripheral - Trusted Reviews

Richard

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    It's quite interesting to re-read this thread (from *moons* ago) and look at the ideas behind it ... the same discussions are going on today but with different devices and some different educational terms.

We now have iPads and Flipped Classroom rather than laptops and independent learning.
    It was a fascinating read and mirrors a few internal discussing we are having about using iPads in the classroom.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries

It is interesting and telling that after all the hype and supposed educational improvements the same problems and gaps still remain. Sure it is a bit closer in some areas and there are different choices of hardware avalible but the basic structure of education has stayed the same.

Makes you wonder how much value and traction any of this wave of educational fancies will get when reality and pragmatism kicks in.

Thank Post
    Laptops will be stored securely in bays with the facilites to charge them ... this is expected to be done during break / lunch time and PE lessons. We do it by giving students individual access to a charging shelf ... with their own key! At the moment there is only one supplier that meets this need ... Lapsafe.
    6 years on, is this still the case? I was just thinking the other day that a decent way to go about making a secure drawer system for individual laptops might be to use the 19" rack standard. You can get 19" racks in pretty much any shape and size you like, and a single-U of rack space could quite nicly hold 2 smaller modern laptops, complete with charging cable zip-tied to the back. You just need to put together a modular system with a 19" rack-mount controller that could control, say, 32 solenoid-latch tray compartments. MiFare (Oyster / debit / etc card) on the top for authentication, network connectivity with a simple web-based interface and integration with MIS and other backend systems and you've got a handily modular system suitible for large or small classes worth of equipment - you could even make larger copartments for things like cameras to be lent out.

7. Thanks to dhicks from:

SYNACK (24th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not at that school anymore and they have dropped the scheme for a number of reasons, including the increase in home devices (meaning that the need to get families online is not a prime target) , the difficulties changing enough of the curriculum to have a large enough impact and the increased amount of IT around the school.

The model has worked in other schools and has left this school with pretty much the perfect infrastructure to move over to BYOD when the curriculum is ready for it ... And that is the key thing really.

When it was being done well it made a difference, but proportionally too much time, effort, resources and money was needed in comparison to other things which could be done. If nothing else ... It show that you use technology as appropriate.

As for the storage and charging solution ... the units do now come in a variety of configurations including access control by MiFare cards, library systems, etc. Lapsafe are the folk to speak with about it ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @GD, I think that this goes to show the main issue with these systems, the wetware that expects to use them to revoloutionize education with them with no effort or change on their part. I don't think that a digital curruculum and school will really work in any widespread and sensible way until the staff are all up to using it. While they are still being assessed on how to click a mouse in teachers training collage and there are still a large proportion that would prefer to go back to chalk slates the whole thing is a pipe dream.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think the target obsessed curriculum has a lot to answer for. I find older teachers who have been in education longer than the GCSE's are more open to embracing teaching with new technology. Our biggest hurdles seems to be younger (late 20's, early 30's) HoD's who refuse to see the benefit of such systems.

We are tackling the problem from the other end. In the new year each department will get one iPad for the teachers to play with and use as they will in class. Later departments who use them may get more and has teachers get comfortable we'll experiment with a trolley for pupil use. The long term go is 1 iPad per pupil....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I think the target obsessed curriculum has a lot to answer for. I find older teachers who have been in education longer than the GCSE's are more open to embracing teaching with new technology. Our biggest hurdles seems to be younger (late 20's, early 30's) HoD's who refuse to see the benefit of such systems.

We are tackling the problem from the other end. In the new year each department will get one iPad for the teachers to play with and use as they will in class. Later departments who use them may get more and has teachers get comfortable we'll experiment with a trolley for pupil use. The long term go is 1 iPad per pupil....
    I think it is dangerous to generalise, some of the older teachers that I have dealt with are not massivly technologicly skilled but very eager to learn, I've also dealt with some that could not be bothered to learn how to use a power switch. Same thing with younger teachers, I get some that are great, willing to learn and have a good clue to start with but there are also some that could barely work a light switch without help. The 'quality' is not dictated by the teacher training collages as they do not seem to test anything related to computers other than how the keyboard works.

Teacher training is simply inadiquate for the task of integrating technology, you think dealing with teachers is hard, try correcting the nutjobs that teach the teachers. This is the issue that no-one has the stones to deal with, the huddled protectionalist training environment that they are trained in does more harm than good and no-one will deal with it. The problem is ingrained as it is trained in from the get go.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I think it is dangerous to generalise, some of the older teachers that I have dealt with are not massivly technologicly skilled but very eager to learn, I've also dealt with some that could not be bothered to learn how to use a power switch. Same thing with younger teachers,
    sorry, not meaning to generalise - more relating the experience of dealing with our staff here and the general impression formed based on that experience of showing staff the wonders of tablet computing.

I think the modern curriculum and examinations are designed in away that is very anti individual learning and teacher creativity. Younger teachers have grown up in this environment. It's all about league tables, schemes of work and teaching to the exam - very sad

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking about the concept of introducing devices to every child and BYOD today and realised that the same problem that has afflicted the banking and business world has affected education too (or should that be infected?).

Namely - short-termism. Everyone is obsessed with improving results *today* and see technology as a way to show they are doing something. What they're failing to do is the hard bit - actually improving education.

14. Thanks to localzuk from:

tmcd35 (24th July 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I was thinking about the concept of introducing devices to every child and BYOD today and realised that the same problem that has afflicted the banking and business world has affected education too (or should that be infected?).

Namely - short-termism. Everyone is obsessed with improving results *today* and see technology as a way to show they are doing something. What they're failing to do is the hard bit - actually improving education.
    Which is why I keep pushing to think back to when similar (or the exact same) has been tried before.

To be honest, any big change of how you deliver education will make a difference when done across the whole school and well planned. This will range from the Cramlington Learning village style of lots of resources to allow for independent learning, those going for the Khan Academy approach for flipped learning, those going over to IBacc, those working on 1 to 1 offerings (laptop or tablet/slate) ... going to thematic learning at KS3 (not having discrete subjects but a mix and match forcing skills and concepts to be transferred between subjects) ... they can all improve the education of children when planned right and delivered as part of a long term approach.

There is no magic bullet ... but lots of ways of putting the targets in line to use less ammo.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12