+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, What on earth is the deal with HP Spares? in Technical; Perhaps it's just me, and this particular situation, but has anyone else had issues getting spare parts for HP Servers? ...
    Thank Post

Angry What on earth is the deal with HP Spares?

Perhaps it's just me, and this particular situation, but has anyone else had issues getting spare parts for HP Servers?

OMG! I've been waiting pretty much 3 weeks for Drive caddys (which I stupidly assumed would either come with the server, or the HDD's themselves), a processor heatsink and a fan module for a brand new DL360 G6, which I can't even use till the bits get here! FFFUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!! lolz

Does anyone know of a supplier who can get me HP spares in double quick time?

Cheers, and thanks for listening to my 'download'
    Last edited by jpaterson; 19th April 2010 at 02:47 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've just bought three G6s, not had any issues getting parts (we only got one PSU each with them..so needed more)

We always use Insight for HP bits Deals at Insight UK

3. Thanks to Domino from:

jpaterson (19th April 2010)

Thank Post
    superb! we've got an account with them. I'll have a sqiz.

thanks Domino.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Another Good Word for Insight from me I just got 3 G6's from them before the holidays (how freeky me and Domino buying the same kit!) and I got extra CPUs, Ram, PSUs, NICs, HDDs by the bucket full, SAS Backplane.... (lots of bits!) and all in stock and came the next day

Thank Post
    I checked insight, but no joy on teh parts I needed. I can seem to find HDD cages, a processor heatsink or fan module that can get here quick from anywhere!

Thank Post
    The HDD Cages are an unusual spare part TBH as HP usually just sell the drives which have the cages with them as that's how the ship sails at HP you buy the drive you get it pre-caged and with 3 year OS Warranty. the heatsink and fan module is also an usual one as you buy a CPU kit which is the CPU and HSF in one box so again your looking for a bit of an unusual part. Give your account manager at Insight a call though I am sure they can get a date for you on them.

Thank Post
    When I bought the hard drives (HP 160GB 3G SATA 7.2K rpm SFF / PN# 574893-B21) from PCS systems, I honestly thought they would come with cages. Would you be able to recommend a particular pre-caged drive for the 360 G6?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jpaterson View Post
    When I bought the hard drives (HP 160GB 3G SATA 7.2K rpm SFF / PN# 574893-B21) from PCS systems, I honestly thought they would come with cages. Would you be able to recommend a particular pre-caged drive for the 360 G6?
    HP Dual Port - Hard drive - 146 GB - hot-swap -... - 418367-B21 at Insight UK is what I use in my HP DL360 G6's

The thing with that one you have got, it shows it as 2.5" Removable Quick Release which would imply to me by its description it should be in a caddy already....

Thank Post
    We've never had any issues either, this sounds more like an issue with your supplier.

Next time you buy an HP server, look here, and get the part numbers for all the correct kits. The proper HP hard drive kit always has a caddy, the proper HP CPU kit always has a heatsink and extra fan.

It looks like your supplier has sold you bog standard OEM hard drives and a processor. Did you ask them for parts for an HPDL360 or did you ask them for a Xeon whatever and some SAS hard drives. If it's the former and this is specified on the quote then tell them you're returning the good because they're 'unfit for purpose' and then buy the proper kit.
    Last edited by K.C.Leblanc; 20th April 2010 at 09:36 AM.

Thank Post
    That part code (574893-B21) is for ProLiant SL systems ... The equivalent part for the DL360 G6 is 530888-B21 - this ships with the HDD cage.

As others have mentioned, HP HDD cages are next to impossible to get hold of (outside of ebay) as HP don't supply them without the drives.

HP QuickSpecs are great for getting the correct part codes - http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/q...13235_div.HTML

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ServersPlus View Post
    As others have mentioned, HP HDD cages are next to impossible to get hold of (outside of ebay) as HP don't supply them without the drives.
    One reason I'm never totally happy buying HP servers. The costs of their Hard Drives usually wipeout the savings made using their servers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread