+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Network printers. in Technical; This is more of a software thing though - and a word of warning for the wise. We will nearly ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Network printers.

This is more of a software thing though - and a word of warning for the wise.

We will nearly all be aware of the dangers involved in installing printer driver software on servers - especially HP. However, I came across something 25 times worse last week.
    Samsung.

The copiers were reasonable, the school had 6 installed. The fitters however had seen fit to populate the curriculum server with a shedload of Samsung's software, mostly to run the network scanning facility.

On average, it'll take HP's software suite 4 weeks to leak and crash a decent 2003 server.
    It took Samsung's suite 4 days. Unamused!

Network scanning quickly removed along with every single piece of software that even looks like "samsung" from the server and everything is great as a result. I'm a large fan of Samsung hardware and have been ever since they showed up Sony and Toshiba in the DVD stakes - but the software is ridiculous Had to warn the installers to be VERY careful in future when they're sticking that sort of rubbish; I'd have refused if I was there myself however apparently their speil to the on site ICT coordinator was "they needed to install said software to make the printers work at all".

Rant over :|

Thank Post
    This concerns me, I am installing a Samsung Network printer/scanner in a room with 10workstations, I am not planning on installing it on the server just going to install it with the IP Address on each machine.

Then I need to work out how to scan to a shared drive on the server without installing the software

Think I'll use the ftp option, but the configuration within seems abit unclear!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just install via the .inf drivers and it'll be fine, even via the server. At least that way you'd maintain a bit of control over the whole thing should something go awry.

I was going to tackle network scanning to a folder when it was a bit quieter - I'm fairly sure it's doable without the bloatware but you've looked a bit further into it than me so far Let me know how it goes!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread