+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Apple recommendations in Technical; I need to order a new laptop in a few days. I've pretty much decided, but having seen the latest ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Apple recommendations

I need to order a new laptop in a few days. I've pretty much decided, but having seen the latest Apple/PC debate I thought I'd see if I could get an Apple instead, with the same features.

I'm not talking so much about spec as the basic, simple things which made the model I'm planning to order perfect for me. Now, I'm naturally anti-Apple (I think its genetic), but I'm willing to consider it.

I don't think that the features which I'm really looking for are unreasonable, and my budget is fairly reasonable (I think). However, I don't really have the time to do a massive hunt through various Apple stores or resellers trying to find something which matches my requirements, and since we do seem to have a lot of Apple users here I was hoping someone might be able to just say a particular model matches what I want perfectly.

The essential features which have decided me so far are:
    - Large touchscreen (over 15" is fine - bigger is better)
    - HD screen
    - Full size keyboard with number pad

I am honestly not trying to troll here. I am genuinely considering trying out a Mac, and would just like to know if there is a model within my budget which matches what I need (want).

Thank Post
    The only way I know of currently to get those features with Mac would be the desktop route and buying a HD TouchScreen.

I would suggest that, with the iPad and such, it's not too long before Apple will have an option to do touch screen, but for now, as nice as it is to hear you're willing to give it a go, if you need the laptop, get the one you've found it it's fit for your purpose.

3. Thanks to soveryapt from:

jamesb (7th April 2010)

Thank Post
    I'd advise avoiding the Macbook Pro line until they are updated. At the moment they are very out of date, still sporting core2duo chips when virtually everyone else is shipping Core i5/7. This wouldn't matter if it wasn't for the crazy price they still want for them.

HD screen - The 17ins MBP is 1920x1200

The other two requests you want don't exist yet on the mac line.

5. Thanks to DrCheese from:

jamesb (7th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Sounds like an IPad would do the job.

Although the touch keyboard will not be ideal. Maybe when they release one with a USB port?

7. Thanks to Sandman from:

jamesb (7th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    Sounds like an IPad would do the job.

Although the touch keyboard will not be ideal. Maybe when they release one with a USB port?
    I did think about it, but its massively underpowered for what I'm after, the screen's too small, and I can't touchtype on a touchscreen keyboard.

I've gone with my original decision now, but thanks to all who gave suggestions.

Thank Post
    What did you get?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    What did you get?
    Dell Studio 17 with touchscreen (and backlit keyboard, just 'cos), as well as a bit of up-speccing from the standard and a mouse of happiness.

The mouse arrived yesterday, and I spent all night playing with it and learning the different extras (from playing around rather than the manual), I never knew that I needed five different ways to use a scroll wheel (tilt left, tilt right, click, smooth rolling and click scrolling) until I got it.

The laptop itself has arrived today, but I've not been able to play with Baby yet, due to being at work.

Other ideas for names are welcome, Baby's just temporary until I can properly christen the system.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread