+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Asus & Corsair compatibility issues?? in Technical; Im having abit of a problem with these 2 componants. By the sounds of it this Asus board can be ...

Thank Post

Asus & Corsair compatibility issues??

Im having abit of a problem with these 2 componants. By the sounds of it this Asus board can be abit picky on which RAM it likes, but the Asus QVL is abit sparce to say the least so i coulndt exactly be choosy about which ram i bought.

Asus M2V AM2 VIAK8T890
    Corsiar 512MB DDR2 667

A long shot i know but has anyone bought the above motherboard and has any suggestions from experience.

Symptoms are; With RAM in - no POST

Without RAM - RAM error beep

I have no access to any other DDR2 ram so cannot prove whether theres a compatibility issue, the RAMS fecked or the mobo's fecked. But i have ordered my brother exactly the same mobo and RAM which will be delivered next week. So i could wait and see but as Xmas is getting close i want this sorted rather than later. I cant decide which i hope it is, compatibility or just DOA, as i will have to be sending something back either way

Oh and it may just need a BIOS update, but with no RAM to get the system to boot...

Thank Post

Re: Asus & Corsair compatibility issues??

I've got a slew of new PC's (self builds) with the M2NP-VM boards in and I opted to avoid the Corsairs because of various mutterings about the boards. There's also some mention of issues with Maxtor hard drives that requires a firmware upgrade so things aren't exactly great.

I can confirm that Crucial 667 DDR2 RAM works fine without any problems at all.. but as to a solution, you're a bit stuck..

I'd invoke the 30 day distance purchase agreement and send both the motherboard and RAM back, request a refund and cancel your other order... Then do some homework on more stable boards.. You may not be sorted for Xmas but it's got to be better than ripping your hair out for the weeks leading up to it.

Thank Post

Just lookedc on crucials website to find a known good model of ram. Thought, ohh ill stick it into ebuyer and it came up. Then to my complete suprise theres a "Replace Item" button

How very nice of them. I do like ebuyer, by far the best company ive found.

Thank Post

Just as an update to this..

I've discovered that out of 15 M2NP-VM asus boards, three are pretty much DOA.. Their symptoms are either complete failure to post or successful post and then sudden power failure after around 2 to 5 minutes.

Something tells me these boards were not made particularly well and dry solder joint is rife in a large batch.. The net is now equally rife with reports of the same problems.. Avoid..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread