+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, OH Flipping heck server has died in Technical; I am having a great morning. I came in and the sun was shining. I walked into the department and ...
    Thank Post

OH Flipping heck server has died

I am having a great morning. I came in and the sun was shining. I walked into the department and one of my main domain controllers is dead as a post and I dont have spare parts to use but at least its under warranty. Stone are coming out tomorrow as its under warranty and log on times are now 35 mins for the fastest machines. Lovely.

I have explained to staff that the network is broken and not usable today and I have had 3 teachers come in and ask to book computer rooms today. I have come to the conclusion staff just do not listen.

I have wandered round and lots of staff are trying to log on and complaining at me its not logging on even though they have been told.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why I bother telling them things they just dont listen.

Richard

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post
    I am having a great morning. I came in and the sun was shining. I walked into the department and one of my main domain controllers is dead as a post and I dont have spare parts to use but at least its under warranty. Stone are coming out tomorrow as its under warranty and log on times are now 35 mins for the fastest machines. Lovely.

I have explained to staff that the network is broken and not usable today and I have had 3 teachers come in and ask to book computer rooms today. I have come to the conclusion staff just do not listen.

I have wandered round and lots of staff are trying to log on and complaining at me its not logging on even though they have been told.

Sometimes it makes me wonder why I bother telling them things they just dont listen.

Richard
    Poor you.

Time to hit the hobnobs, I think. Hope it's sorted quickly tomorrow.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,880 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Blog Entries
    hobnobs + tea + locking yourself away whilst you fix things + unhooking phone = ideal

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    hobnobs + tea + locking yourself away whilst you fix things + unhooking phone = ideal
    What he said, and also fix a HUGE notice on your door saying that there are problems, that you HAVE told them and that all will be fixed ASAP. Might stop them knocking! (I did say 'might')

5. Thanks to witch from:

nephilim (23rd March 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @ricki:

Eh! whats that you say young PFY?
    Speak up I can't hear you!!
    Did you say anything worth while? Hurry up and spit it out man as I "need" to get the computer rooms booked before anyone else.

This is how their thinking works \ / tunnel vision with "me! me! me!" at the end of the tunnel!. Me

7. Thanks to bossman from:

webman (23rd March 2010)

Thank Post
    In this situation a few years ago I disabled other key services that I knew would be responding less than satisfactorily, so that at least they got an immediate indication that it was screwed instead of wasting 20 minutes finding out.

This is also a good opportunity to have redundant systems budgeted for, now that SMT can see just what an effect a single failure can have. Two domain controllers in disparate locations can work wonders and would only cost them a couple or few hundred to achieve.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Losing one DC shouldn't have that sort of effect on logon times - what's the remaining DC doing apart from authentication? Can you turn off other services on that DC to make the logon process faster (or is the actual "logon" bit quick but other "stuff" happens afterwards? if so, can that be removed temporarily?)

Were the FSMO roles on the DC which has failed? If so, transfer them to your remaining DC (you'll have to force the transfer but that's fine and won't cause problems later)

Is the remaining DC a global catalog? If not, make it a GC.

Thank Post
    Hi

It does when scriipts and services run on that server. I am in the process of unlinking group policies that run them. I have got log ons down to 20 mins lols.

This domain controller does not have the roles but it does have most of the shares that contains software and scripts.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    Were the FSMO roles on the DC which has failed? If so, transfer them to your remaining DC (you'll have to force the transfer but that's fine and won't cause problems later)
    some fsmo roles do as when you plug dead server back in (assuming its fixable) you will have 2 pcs thinking they are the master
    Last edited by sted; 23rd March 2010 at 10:00 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Two domain controllers in disparate locations can work wonders and would only cost them a couple or few hundred to achieve.
    I agree.

Thank Post
    and in addition to the two domain controllers...set up something that'll email/text you at $time_you_normally_get_up +5 minutes and let you know if everything's ok or if you should nip in earlier to fix stuff before anyone notices. You should assume no email = come in early.

If you're not omnipotent, decent monitoring is a good way of faking it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    some fsmo roles do as when you plug dead server back in (assuming its fixable) you will have 2 pcs thinking they are the master
    OK; so I didn't include the bit saying "don't forget to transfer the roles back" - I kind of assumed that the OP would realise that needed doing!

Thank Post

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ricki View Post

Richard
    So it is written in the Teachers handbook...

As with cyclists having an inability to see Red lights, all Teachers will be blessed with inability to here the word NO..

I actually think that they are informed during the PGCE's that once you become a Qualified Teacher that word no longer holds any meaning for them. It happened to my now Ex girlfriend..
    lol

Thank Post
    Hi

I have got the school back up of sorts expect one room.

Richard

Thank Post
    Only good news is that this is your chance to turn to management and say "this is why I need more budget, this is what happens when things fail, this is why you need to give me the assistance and funding I need to set up virtualisation/DR site/proper backups/etc."

They never listen until after it's failed, so make sure when they come to you in a couple of days asking why 'the network broke' you've got some answers and solutions to stop it happening next time.

Chris

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast