+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, replacing fixed projector in Technical; Why is nothing easy? The bulb went in our fixed projector and was out of stock everywhere, so we decided ...
    Thank Post

replacing fixed projector

Why is nothing easy? The bulb went in our fixed projector and was out of stock everywhere, so we decided to order a replacement projector, then found out that because our old projector was fitted five years ago the wiring and cables are not up to todays regs and we now need asbestos and structural surveys and new electrics to install the new projector. Is it just me or does this happen everywhere?

Thank Post

Re: replacing fixed projector

The wiring regs have _not_ changed in the last five years. Someone is taking the piss, royally!

Edit:-
    However, they will be in summer '08. Draft of the 17th Edition of the wiring regs is out for consultation in a week or so. Not sure yet if it will have major impact on our work. Will read and report back!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,500 Posts

Unless it wasn't installed correctly in the first place?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

What a load of tosh, all you should need to do is remove the mouting bracked from the old one, fit the new one to it and away you go. UNLESS you need to physically move the projector closer to the board / screen due to new projectors having much increased focal lenght on them comapired to old ones, I have had this and that will then casue the mentioned issues.

Thank Post

Yes I thought it would be as easy as new projector poss new bracket to fix on end of pole. But the projector mains cable isn't 'hard wired'? it just plugs in an ordinary socket and the adaptor at the end of the cable that goes through the ceiling and down the pole isn't moulded and apparently won't fit the new projector. I trust the company that are giving the advise but just wish everything wasn't so complicated.

Thank Post

What is the current end on the power lead a small figure 8 and the new projector is a clover leaf one?

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

I think its a money making job that this firm are on, I had one once say this, just so they can hard wire it into a new fused spur, but they will then say that the wiring doesn't meet code so they cannot certify the work and thus you need to have X amount of remedia workd to fix some of the other issues they find.

Thank Post

It looks like an ordinary computer kettle type connector to me, but it isn't moulded. I haven't got the new projector out the box yet (we're using it as a mobile til all this is sorted) so I'll know more at the end of the day. Looks like the new one is security coded and will only work with a remote so now have find somewhere to tie it to! Things like that disappear in our school and it's not the children!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Ask them which regulations the current setup doesn't meet so you can confirm it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

We've had similar problems, not due to wiring regulations but because our older and obsolete projectors have a different projection distance than newer ones. Consequently the mounting and sometimes the wiring needs to be re-fitted for the new projectors to fit the screens.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C
    The wiring regs have _not_ changed in the last five years. Someone is taking the piss, royally!

Edit:-
    However, they will be in summer '08. Draft of the 17th Edition of the wiring regs is out for consultation in a week or so. Not sure yet if it will have major impact on our work. Will read and report back!
    Technically they have changed in minor parts major part is all new wiring must use eu wiring colour coding and not old one..

But that dosnt stop old wiring be outdated or anything best thing is ask which parts are not up tp code and what code number has changed and get it checked out...

Russ

Thank Post

Old projector kettle type lead - new epson projector figure of eight lead. Are there any current projectors that still have kettle leads? This one was recommended to us, which would be fine if it was for a new installation.

Thank Post

?? Change the lead?

Thank Post

It's a long extension with a kettle end fixed on by the sounds of his previous post.

You haven't got an apc ups that came with a spare kettle lead socket do you? then you could cut then plug of the new figure of eight lead and add that socket to it.

Ben

Thank Post

Sorry lost the plot here a bit, the old fixed projector has a kettle type socket on a cable that runs up the wall through the ceiling and down a pole. The new projector that is to be fixed to the old installation has a figure of eight socket, the company that supplied it said we would need a new cable running to a hard wired socket. If I could get a projector with a kettle lead then maybe our electrician could just rewire the current cable so it is hard wired and not just plugged into a socket.
    I'm just a plain and simple technician that doesn't do cutting wires and adding sockets! Also I'm female.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast