+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Laptops or Desktop in Technical; What do people think about having teachers use laptops as their main whiteboard PC. I seem to fin this causes ...

Thank Post

Laptops or Desktop

What do people think about having teachers use laptops as their main whiteboard PC.

I seem to fin this causes a lot of problems as teachers will take them home and install all kinds of rubbish on them and then wonder why they are running so slow! Its also much harder to schedule updates, virus scans and general maintanence issues as the laptops are simply not there in the eveining. Do many of you use laptops for this or desktops?

Thank Post
    Exactly the problem, I am trying to get the schools I work in do just that, make a PC a default for all whiteboards. Fed up trying to sort out laptops for baords because the usual teacher is off sick/on course/ on PPA etc etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We use desktops much more easy

Thank Post
    We don't generally have a problem - every teacher is issued with a laptop and connects to the whiteboard in whatever class they are in.

None of the teachers have admin rights so they can't install anything so no issues there.

We keep 3 spare "teacher" laptops that can be used by supply teachers and we have 5 cover supervisors who also have a laptop each.

I can't remember the last time I got a call about a problem involving this to be honest.

Thank Post
    OK, they have local admin rights on our system so we find torrent software, itunes and other bits get installed. Im hoping to persuade them to have desktops this time but not holding my breath!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ba9ag View Post
    OK, they have local admin rights on our system so we find torrent software, itunes and other bits get installed. Im hoping to persuade them to have desktops this time but not holding my breath!
    Best thing I ever did when I rebuilt our computers/servers/network was to take away local admin rights. Other than IT Support staff there are only three other staff that have local admin rights - and that's only for their own machine and because they have proven themselves trustworthy!

Thank Post
    OK yeah that may be a good shout. What group do people put teachers in then, Domain Users or is there something slightly higher?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All our teachers have laptops and they all have local admin account on their own laptops. Yes some of the install rubbish but at the end of the day I have install images for all out kit. Thirty minutes any any virus, torrents, spyware, etc are completely erradicated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OK yeah that may be a good shout. What group do people put teachers in then, Domain Users or is there something slightly higher?
    just domain users.

Thank Post
    Domain Users here - Windows 7 desktop - remote software installs using SCCM 2007, asset management using Netsupport DNA, remote support using Netsupport Manager.

I think the key to making it work is to make sure that your supporting infrastructure is good enough to handle requests for software/configs etc etc.

Although we do not allow any untested software straight onto our network we have a test network and test machines for that purpose.

Thank Post
    Yeah we use local images as well and they work really well on desktops. Again the trouble we find with laptops is you build it and put all software and updates on, then take the image. Usually then the teacher will have it for a couple of months before problems arise, by which point if we restore the previous image it removes all the custom stuff they have installed inbetween which in fairness shouldnt be on there but trying telling them that when they are moaning wheres my SimCity game!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah we use local images as well and they work really well on desktops. Again the trouble we find with laptops is you build it and put all software and updates on, then take the image. Usually then the teacher will have it for a couple of months before problems arise, by which point if we restore the previous image it removes all the custom stuff they have installed inbetween which in fairness shouldnt be on there but trying telling them that when they are moaning wheres my SimCity game!
    I give a standard warning when I take any laptop in for repair. "You have backed up all your data? If I find anything that shouldn't be in the laptop or the problem will take too long to fix any other way then I will re-image the laptop".

I will tend to look through the hard drive first and back up data if I can, but I don't tell teachers that. One of the few occations I take the hardline - "If it wasn't backed up or the software shouldn't have been on their in the first place - tough"

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I give a standard warning when I take any laptop in for repair. "You have backed up all your data? If I find anything that shouldn't be in the laptop or the problem will take too long to fix any other way then I will re-image the laptop".

I will tend to look through the hard drive first and back up data if I can, but I don't tell teachers that. One of the few occations I take the hardline - "If it wasn't backed up or the software shouldn't have been on their in the first place - tough"
    I'm pretty sure that if we took that stance we'd lose a lot of contracts

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    I'm pretty sure there is something to do with H & S saying that if they are perm installed in a place that you have to provide extra things such as wrist supports etc - but this might not apply if they move them around all the time

Thank Post
    teacher workstations are desktops here, Locked down so they can not install anything.

They are all the same one image fits all

They seem more stable,harder to steal

its cheaper to replace a broken flatscreen/keyboard on a desktop.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast