+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Dell Optiplex USFF 780 - Design Fault? in Technical; Please HELP! We have just received one of the Dell Optiplex 780 USFF computers and AIO stands. We are still ...

Thank Post

Angry Dell Optiplex USFF 780 - Design Fault?

Please HELP!

We have just received one of the Dell Optiplex 780 USFF computers and AIO stands.

We are still able to remove the back cable cover after sliding the main lock on the back of the stand (just above the data socket) to the locked position.

Dell tech support have sent me out another AIO stand and surprisingly it has the same problem! I believe it to be design/manufacturing problem but I am going round in circles with Dell!

Does anyone else have one of these units they can check?

Thanks,

Edd

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    The cover itself doesn't lock. You will need a kensington lock of some kind to place in the hole just below the slider.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your reply, however the design has changed from all the previous USFF chassis. The lock is now done on the stand not on the back of the cable cover.

Once locked, this catch should push a bar over the cable cover removal mechanism, but from what I can tell the measurements look all wrong.

Thanks
    Edd

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Yep, that does look like a manufacturing fault. If locking the cable cover is in the stand manual then I would get in touch with your account manager and start liaising direct with them rather than technical support.

Thank Post
    Hi AngryTechnician

Thanks for your reply.

Our account manager has been absent for the last few weeks. Our stand in account manager insisted I had to go through the tech support. So I have been jumping through the hoops! Oh what fun

Our account manager is now back so fingers crossed it will be resolved shortly. She has confirmed it should lock and is now looking into it being a manufacturing problem.

If anyone has any of these units I would be interested if you have the same problem.

Thanks
    Edd

Thank Post

Same here in Singapore

Same discovery here - we have just received our Optiplex 780 for testing and damn if I can get the cable cover to lock properly.
    About to ask their product manager to come down and show us how it should work.
    Shame as this seems like a really neat design. Great cable management without having to resort to an all in one.
    Bit worried about the internal PSU and how it will hold up. Yes we have 3 year warranties but still a lot of talk that these ultrasmall power supplies can die pretty quickly.
    Craig

Thank Post

Update

Seems like the cover is only designed to lock in properly once the pc is the in stand (attach the cover as a stand alone unit and it just drops off due to gravity!!).

However as pointed out - the metal arm (in the photo) at the bottom once the stand is locked should prevent the cable cover lever being opened (by preventing the internal mechanism from rising).

What the problem seems to be is that the arm at the bottom has about 10mm of free play - hence you lock it all in and then give the cable cover lock a wiggle a few times and pop - cover falls off.

How does this stuff pass quality control!!!

Thank Post
    craigw,

Well I am glad itís not just me!

I have now got this escalated to manufacturing and am waiting for our account manager to update me, fingers crossed this will be fixed soon!

Can you report this problem to Dell via your account manager to help build the case for this to be fixed?

Thanks
    Edd

Thank Post
    We have two of these units an they are also the same..

was a little annoyed, but no concerned as they are not for students!

Thank Post
    Update
    Dell account manager and service manager came down to take a look and confirmed our findings - that the cover just doesn't lock securely.
    They suggested a rubber tubing to try and limit the free play in the locking pin - but no luck - still can be unlocked and cover removed.

They are trying to come up with an after market fix as they admitted that this will not get back through the deisgn process and fixed at factory level before we order for sept - (could be suprised - but I am not prepared to take the chance!!)

Real shame - as great design otherwise.

Looks like HP again this year.....

Thank Post

Smile Progress

Dell has admitted itís a design fault!! yay.

After lots of "we will fix it", "we wonít fix it" finaly the product design has now been changed to resolve the problem. I am now waiting for another demo unit.

Thank you to everyone to complained to Dell to get enough weight to get Dell to fix this.

Thanks
    Edd

Thank Post
    Edd
    Can you forward me your Dell account rep details.
    My rep in Singapore is very interested to hear this and want to contact them direct so that we can escalate here.

Great news!! Hopefully something comes of this in time for Sept.
    Craig

Thank Post
    I have received written confirmation from our account manager that this problem has now been fixed. They have produced an aftermarket 'fix' for customers who have the old affected units. So I have now placed my order... fingers crossed!

Thanks
    Edd

Thank Post
    i'm looking to buy 11 of these for summer.
    Glad i saw this post.
    If i buy new ones now , will i get a modded design and wont need the fix or are they shipping out original ones and the fix to go with.

Dan

Thank Post
    Hi Dan,

We have one of the new stands and these should be what they are now shipping. They have improved the design problem but, if you use "excessive" force you can still remove the cover. Secondly if you plan to lock the computer cases with padlocks you need to use the largest ones that fit otherwise you can still "unlock" the stand and remove the cable cover with ease.

Hope this helps,
    Edd

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread