+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, S7000 2010.Q1 release in Technical; Hello everyone. I had this problem with a 7110 during upgrade. Rebooted after upgrade and created a pool. When creating ...

Thank Post

Wiped system drives

Hello everyone.
    I had this problem with a 7110 during upgrade. Rebooted after upgrade and created a pool. When creating the first zpool system hanged and rebooted. Well I realized that it has wiped the system drives since it is only booting grub. I'm pretty lucky cause this was only a testing hardware (borrowed) so no critical data was lost but the hardware is now pretty useless. But how can this happen? Pretty serious issue I must say. I must also add that I found something odd when troubleshooting and that is with the LSI raid adapter. Even if I had removed all the drives from the 7110 the LSI adapter still reported 16 drives online and ready and I think that is pretty weird. To get rid of the LSI problem I unplugged the power to the 7110 and after that it reported correct number of drives.
    Last edited by macernicke; 17th March 2010 at 01:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi macernicke,

Can you raise a support case with Sun ASAP and upload a support bundle? Sun haven't seen this problem anywhere in any of their testing and are very keen to identify the issue. I'll PM you Brian Cantrill's details so you can send him the path to the support bundle as they urgently need logs from people to get working on the problem.

If anyone's a member of the Ars forums, would they be able to reply to this thread asking Demoulous to do the same?

Many thanks,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Sorry it is not possible to generate a support bundle because I cannot start the system, I only get to the grub boot prombt. With other word Open Solaris will not boot. I have already contacted Oracle/Sun support but they will not help me because the distributor does not have a support contract. I know it's pretty stupid on a demo appliance but I guess that they just have missed it. The distributor has another 7110, would it be possible to clone the disk with clonezilla and get the system running again or is this not allowed or is the software linked to the hardware in some way? Please let me know if there is some other way that I can assist in this issue.

Thank Post
    Oh yeah, I didn't think about the system not being bootable...

Would you be able to email what you put in that post to Brian at Sun on the email address I PM'd you? I imagine he'd be in touch shortly after that. If you CC 'sun-storage-feedback-ext@sun.com' on the email that should get you a response from someone.

Many thanks,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Thanks Chris
    I have sent my posts to Brian. This will be interesting.

Thank Post
    Thanks mate, much appreciated! I've found Sun are generally really good about keeping their end-users involved, and it doesn't seem like this bug is widespread (odd that it slipped through at all) so hopefully we'll see a solution soon.

Chris

Thank Post
    I dont know if this could be because of the weird behavior of the LSI adapter. I first tried to remove one disk but in LSI bios all disks were still online and then I remove another one still all 16 disks online and then I finally removed all 16 drives but they were still online in the LSI bios. After I unplugged the power to the 7110 the disk states were reported correctly. Never seen this before.
    But anyway Chris I like to thank you for your guidance and help.

Thank Post
    Hmm it would be interesting to know if when you reconfigured the pool it showed 14 drives available for config or 16? It should always show 14 (2 reserved for O/S) so if it shows 16 available for data - DON'T CREATE THE POOL! Instead create a support bundle and get in touch with Sun methinks!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Luckily I do need to do any configuration with my pools at the moment, however I have notice the DNS service has failed to start! It’s a good job I don’t need DNS as it’s only being use an iSCSI target in a dedicated network.

I'm happy to upload any support bundles if needed however as the issues isn’t effecting me I don’t want to spend ages explain the problem to SUN for them to realise it’s not really effecting my setup.

It’s a shame as for me everything else is working great!

Common SUN this box is great but it need to mature faster, much faster!!

Thank Post
    Hi Rob,

Would you mind uploading a support bundle and emailing the path to the addresses I'm about to PM you? By all means explain that you're not raising a service case and don't want to get involved in a big case. A couple of other people mentioned the DNS issue when talking about the pool/disk problem so both looks like genuine reproducible bugs to me.

Thanks guys, I know Sun really appreciate the community support.
    Chris

Thank Post
    Sure I'm happy to help, after all it will benefit me too.

Thank Post
    For your information Butuz, the system was factory default. No pools had been configured. I did not pay any attention if it showed 16 drives or 14 drives when I created the pool. I was to excited to get the system up and running.I

Thank Post
    I will answer the posts more detailed later cause right now I'm away from any computer, writing from mobile device. I like to thank everyone for being involved and helpful

Regards Nick

Thank Post
    2010.Q1.0.1 Micro Released yesterday.

Fixes small bugs

• 6933137 system can panic when shadow migrating device files
    • 6933762 option to disable cross-forest trusts, interim fix for 6923964
    • 6932072 asterisk in access list of charset nfs share option doesn't work as expected when set from BUI

Download from Software Updates - Fishworks - wikis.sun.com

15. Thanks to apaton from:

Duke (26th March 2010)

Thank Post

Q1.2010 CIFS/AD issues

Hi Folks,

I'm a bit confuzzled over CIFS/AD implementation in the new release.

I have both our 7110's joined to our domain and previously when specifying AD users or groups to add to ACL's I've used the user@domain nomenclature e.g. jbloggs@WIN2k3AD.FOO.COM

However in the Q1.2010 release if I do this it simply returns "unknown user or group".

Any ideas what the format is for this release?

Cheers

Alan

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast