+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Floppy Disc! in Technical; i rember reading somewere on how to load your old floppys, well today i come accross the problem and i ...

Thank Post

Floppy Disc!

i rember reading somewere on how to load your old floppys, well today i come accross the problem and i cant find the website!, basicly the floppy has some inportant files on and was done on a 98 machine years ago, when i put it onto windows xp it asks me to format it as anyone come accross this and if so how do you go about it! thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    Are you trying to create a boot disk?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Are you trying to create a boot disk?
    no mate, just load some files off an old floppy

Thank Post
    To be honest if it's asking to be formatted I don't believe there's much you can do other than try another floppy drive.

5. Thanks to Michael from:

liamvaughan (8th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Have only looked for thirty seconds and can't find a download for it but have you tried Anadisk?

We use it for reading/writing to BBC disks - it will perform a scan of the disk first to determine how it is written and then be able to read it. It may be that if the disk was written long ago then it's only single density, which a lot of modern systems will not read.

Tom

Thank Post
    If you've still got the drive that originally wrote the disk then try connecting that to give a better chance of the head aligning with the disk properly. Otherwise I would just try it in all the drives you can find (assuming this is a normal double density or high density disk). If it's something exotic like LS120 then you're going to struggle.

Thank Post
    LS120, haven't heard that in a while A challenge to ZIP/Jazz drives which lasted about 5 minutes, but then flash drives have pretty much finished off ZIP/Jazz drives.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-UK View Post
    Have only looked for thirty seconds and can't find a download for it but have you tried Anadisk?

We use it for reading/writing to BBC disks - it will perform a scan of the disk first to determine how it is written and then be able to read it. It may be that if the disk was written long ago then it's only single density, which a lot of modern systems will not read.

Tom
    Anadisk Links:

Index of /dob/files/bleuge/anadisk.207 [Link tested and working]

Download Anadisk Full Version Now! [Link tested and working: Sign up required]

Thank Post
    I've had this situation before, the xp machine wants to format the disc - I then put the floppy into a windows 98 machine and the disc read sufficiently well to copy the data off.
    We even kept an old 98 machine in the corner just for this purpose.

However, that was a little while ago, and with space at a premium in my current school, this would not be practical.

On the basis that xp is less tolerant of floppy discs than 98, would linux better at reading the disc?

Thank Post
    I'm thinking logically here, but surely it's all to do with the physical floppy drive rather than Windows? Windows only displays what the floppy drive retrieves.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Floppy disks have always been unreliable. I would be very surprised if you could read any of your disks especially given how old they are.

As MorganW mentioned above, drive mis-alignment or even dirty read/write heads are common issues. I would just keep trying the disks in as many FDDs as you can find. If you can find the original drive the floppy disk was written in, even better.

You could also try some of the programs mentioned in the two threads listed below, like FlopShow or PhotoRec. I seem to remember having to run "chkdsk a:" a lot when I had problems with floppy disks in the past, but this should only be done as a last resort.

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows/2499-recovering-files-corrupt-floppy.html
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/how-do-you-do/7551-floppy-drive-recovery.html
    Last edited by Arthur; 9th March 2010 at 09:28 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree that floppy disks became much less reliable with Windows XP, we upgraded some machines from 98/ME to XP a long time ago now and had all sorts of hassles with disks. The exact same hardware but XP only ever read disks reliably that had been formatted and used on the same XP level computer.

R0M
    Thank Post
    I wonder if it has something to do with the file system or something, I remember having the same trouble not long ago. I had a 98 machine (not networked) and put some files on a floppy, then took it accross to an xp machine and couldnt read them... I found if i formated it with XP then put it into the 98 machine could both could read/wright with out isue but if i formated it with the 98 box it would not read in xp... odd...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 959 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Floppy disks have always been unreliable. I would be very surprised if you could read any of your disks especially given how old they are.
    Set my old Amiga 500 up last week and all those old 880k DD floppies are still chugging away, was sat happily cross legged playing Wizkid again the other day and grinning like a loon

This after maybe 12-15 years of sitting in a cardboard box in my parents loft, not particularly protected from temperature or damp.

Also ran a sysinfo tool for giggles, 7.07MHz processor, oh yeah!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It may come as a surprise, but older floppies are actually made to a higher standard that the one we were buying in bulk say 7 years ago. It simply comes down to price. They had to be made cheaper and in larger numbers at the end, which is why many disks from the 80's still work yet ones from 6 years ago don't (that and teh fact that staff and pupils have stored them on top of speakers, microwaves and in vats of carbolic acid.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast