+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, New Equipment in Technical; witch, PM me your work number, I will be happy to discuss everything I did at my school as last ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    witch, PM me your work number, I will be happy to discuss everything I did at my school as last year I was in exactly your position. You can learn from my mistakes

2. Thanks to featured_spectre from:

witch (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Our HP7900s seem to be holding up well.
    As long as they don't go faulty! I was on the phone to the HP Indian call centre for 33 minutes last week. Something I can do without

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    If you know the HP Protocols you can jump the gun and just log it online, basically the way to do it is use the website and say you have swapped everything with each other, reseated everything, everything you tested with is known good etc etc and that you have diagnosed its a dead X and they just ship it out no questions asked and saves time. I used to have the script in a document somewhere that you needed to cover so I just pasted it in and filled the blanks every time I used it and it was great.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    If i know whats wrong/or think i do i just make up the answers to the questions aslong as you get the answer right and it ticks the boxes on there screen they will send you the parts!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    and...back to topic.....

SO....netbooks - Several votes for the the Samsung? Please can I have your opinions of the ones you have

PCs: Generally all in ones seem OK but will be pricey to replace and would waste all our screens. It has been suggested that I do my own with brackets but not sure - anyone?

We are a poor primary and do not need to go for a top-of-the-range machine, so what I am going to do is amass 2 sets of info - one for the mid-range and one at the expensive end. I suspect that the boss has no idea how much this is all going to cost him!

Also - suppliers? I use CP but will need more than one
    thanks

7. Thanks to witch from:

CPLTD (9th March 2010)

Thank Post
    PCs: Generally all in ones seem OK but will be pricey to replace and would waste all our screens. It has been suggested that I do my own with brackets but not sure - anyone?
    I don't like all in one systems. A pain, usually, if you do have to carry out any repairs. That could have changed in recent months though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some all in one makers use a standard motherboard inside the case - this means that if the PC bit fails then it's relatively easy to replace the MB. You could also upgrade it at some point in the future without throwing away the monitor (which will last longer then the computer bit)

Are you looking at all-in-ones for space saving or "niceness"? If it's the former then, as has been said, several companies do a unit which can be fixed on the back of the monitor but watch out for ones which have a separate power brick. The Dells I looked at a while back had a nice compact unit on the monitor (so you got good looking, space saving) but the power brick really was a brick!!

Thank Post
    Personally I dont like all in ones. We have some Viglins here in a couple of rooms and the first thing I was told is that a few of them have had power issues which has resulted in them being out of use until replacement parts where ordered. Had they been standard desktops (as there are in the rest of the site)I'm sure there would have been spare parts knocking about.

The other thing I dont like is the fact that different users may need to move the screen but users tend to be a little heavy handed when the equipment isn't theirs.

Maybe it's just the all-in-ones I've seen & used, but the appeal seems to come from teachers who like the look but the practical side of them are not right. Of course newer models may have improved.

Thank Post
    I personally like the Toshiba NB200s netbooks. Small, well made, webcam and excellent battery life.
    For the PC's the one's where they sit on a cradle at the back are probably best due to being a normal PC where you can easily service them if needed.
    Rich

Thank Post
    The HT just likes the look of all in ones and is thinking of space - but we arent too bad so I would like to turn him off that idea.
    Are there brackets I could get?
    As I said, we have the screens already.
    Next question is - what sort of spec would you look at? I am presuming that these beasts will have to last 5 years but they dont have to be whizz-bang as this is only a primary.
    Dual core? Not? Def dont need big HD as everything saved on to the server.
    I'm trying to strike a balance between something that will last but wont be TOO expensive. SFF would please the boss.

*edit: boss has just come to me and said that another HT has got these: http://www.trustedreviews.com/pcs/re...m-Factor-PC/p1

Anyone any experience of them?
    Last edited by witch; 9th March 2010 at 12:38 PM.

Thank Post
    I'd be wary of anything small and "stealable".

I'd go for mini-towers. Won't get as hot, and easy to upgrade yourself as everything's not so tightly packed, easy to get spare parts, PSU etc.

Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM (2x2GB), 80GB HD.

Thank Post
    Don't touch those 'cute' things with a barge pole!

Are there brackets I could get?
    Brackets for?

Thank Post
    brackets to slot in a PC to make it look neater? I dont know - I'm confused!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    brackets to slot in a PC to make it look neater? I dont know - I'm confused!!!
    You mean the brackets / HP USFF Monitor and Base Unit stands by that I'd think. Someone on here has rooms full of either Dell or HP USFFs with the 17 or 19" TFTs on the front with the USFFs strapped to the back, but I cannot remember who it is for the life in me

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    The HT just likes the look of all in ones and is thinking of space - but we arent too bad so I would like to turn him off that idea.
    why do you want to turn him off the idea of an all-in-one ? I've not heard a compelling argument to forgo a quality all-in-one with some sort of warranty in favour of what is likely to be a far more inelegant solution of a USFF PC piggy backed onto a monitor. eughhh.. Such configurations cost extra aswell don't they so while there will likely still be cost savings, there can't be a huge gap in price.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast