+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, Are Stone Computers rubbish for you as well? in Technical; My findings of Stone the past 4 years is of decline in service. Reminding me of other UK providers who ...

Thank Post

Are Stone Computers rubbish for you as well?

My findings of Stone the past 4 years is of decline in service. Reminding me of other UK providers who declined in a similar way.

Machines are poorly made and not tested before arrival. They used to test them before and we would get a sheet confirming each component was working.

Past year, we've had ~ 3 Stone call outs a month. Not acceptable. The final straw was a group of new machines all with an error during POST. The "penultimate" straw was a batch of new 25+ PCs and a high percentage were faulty. Yes they send someone out next day, but I'd rather have a reliable machine in the first place!

They used to make sure the internal cables of a PC were secure with wax, but I find one new (this quarter) PC DOA because the SATA cables have fallen out. Even that was a replacement for a new PC stuck on a POST error/DOA, so I sorted the issue myself to reduce the delay to the user any further.

We've even done some quality testing for them. They gave us machines which were randmonly freezing. We found that the memory configs were wrong which they admitted. Even had some big cheese from Stone come round and apologies etc. to us.

I wouldn't class Stone as a business/org class provider. They just seem like a corner shop setup. The cases they use are cheap and nasty, and PCs are noisy and we've had a lot of fan/PSU issues the past year.

We've had two orders this quarter go missing, even received an invoice for one that hadn't arrived! If XXX can send over a machine from Poland/China in a week, why can't Stone from Staffordshire?

I am SHOCKED to find recommendations of Stone on this website. Our dept has joined the rest of the school and is ordering XXX (How many XXX callouts did they need last year? ZERO - We've had 7 Stone callouts/issues in Feb).

Thank Post
    We keep getting sales calls from them but we're not buying any because we are happy with the HPs we've been getting recently.

Having said that, I'm not sure we'd be interested anyway. Stone computers sound pretty cumbersome!

Thank Post
    Also being UK based I can forgive higher prices, but not £100+ compared to XXX.

Also had a netbook with a faulty trackpad today, the time is still less than the DOA time limit from delivery, but the support guy says it has expired (so it has to be repaired). He arranged a courier but still I haven't received the ref or label for the collection (he said he would email). The courier arrives but wants to take the laptop away without leaving a receipt!!!

Thank Post
    We've generally been ok with the small number we've had recently although there was a niggle with four neo netbooks which they sent out with the same machine GUID.

That necessitated 90 minutes of faffing and re-RIS'ing because they were all being recognised as the same machine on the domain.

Such a simply fix and something that should be getting done by the manufacturer.

Thank Post
    I've always had really good service from them. Over the last three years we've bought 150+ desktops and 10 Neo netbooks. We've had very few calls during that time but each time someone was on site next day and solved the problem.
    The sales staff have also mostly been very helpfull.

We haven't had any equipment from them in the last year though.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 5th March 2010 at 01:06 PM.

Thank Post
    Mar 2009 to Mar 2010

35 logged callouts. That is a minimum. Some calls weren't logged on our system and some calls include more than one machine!

As I type this a colleague has done a call for a PC with faulty internal gfx. LOL.

Thank Post
    But is it snone or Cheap Faulty components causing the issues?

Thank Post
    Well it's both. Stone would say we use "branded components" which basically comes down to:

Samsung HD and DVDRW, Intel CPU and motherboard, Kingston RAM.

BUT - Cheap, nasty noisy cases and fans.

Thank Post
    Could it be vandalism? I.e the kids shoving things in there or spraying stuff?

Butuz

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    But is it snone or Cheap Faulty components causing the issues?
    Who cares? Its still the same result. I could randomly buy componants, get someone to put them together for me, and find they are incompatible/cheap/crap/etc. Do you think anyone cares who made the accellerator pedals for Toyota? Its still toyota who get the flack and bad rep because of it.

The reason i go to a company like Stone, dell, HP etc, is they are supposed to find out these things before they sell me it.

(Yes yes, you are always going to get the odd faulty batch which cant be avoided)
    Last edited by j17sparky; 5th March 2010 at 01:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Hummm?

Joined today, four posts, all slagging off Stone

mb

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Hummm?

mb

I wondered about that especially as all the Stone PC's i've ever had have very good strong cases they don't supply anything else. Well they've never supplied 'me' with anything else these are my opinions of course

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Hummm?

mb
    I just googled Stone is rubbish and found some posts praising Stone on this forum. So I thought I'd add my experience.

It is true, Stone is easy to get to on the phone and they send someone next day. But that's it. Is that enough? No. Not with 35 callouts year to date vs none for rival XXX. And there are MORE XXX machines than here than Stone!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hakko View Post
    I just googled Stone is rubbish and found some posts praising Stone on this forum. So I thought I'd add my experience.

It is true, Stone is easy to get to on the phone and they send someone next day. But that's it. Is that enough? No. Not with 35 callouts year to date vs none for rival XXX. And there are MORE XXX machines than here than Stone!

Maybe you had a bad batch. We had a bad batch one year that had a load of bad memory we had 6 out of 30 fail but in the end Stone came out and replaced all the memory.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I wondered about that especially as all the Stone PC's i've ever had have very good strong cases they don't supply anything else. Well they've never supplied 'me' with anything else these are my opinions of course
    I'm not sure how much you know about cases and if you've seen cases of other manfacturer PCs.

These cases are like basically cheap ones you'd get off ebuyer or something.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast