+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Hardware Thread, Are Stone Computers rubbish for you as well? in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    As a Premier Account member PCs are cheaper and better quality that Stones offerrings. If you are not getting a good price then that's another issue and can't comment on their switches and servers. Someone was quoted last month ~£3000 for a 24Gb RAM Precision Workstation and I told them to order through us. It came to £2000.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    its not the support i don't like - just never been a fan of there hardware and a touch over priced on any quote they have given me.

I just had a sample quote like for like for an HP core chasis switch - HP (with a bit of 3com) 21K Dell 46K

not even remotely close and there desktops have normally been 50-100 more then others
    Give me the spec of the Dell switch, I'm interested to see how much I can get it for.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 7andY View Post
    Dell once took 9 months to supply some drives for a server, then sent the wrong ones...
    Never bought Dell since.
    Why would you wait 9 months? If they didn't deliver by X as on contract I would have bought one myself and sent them the bill.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hakko View Post
    Someone was quoted last month ~£3000 for a 24Gb RAM Precision Workstation and I told them to order through us. It came to £2000.
    Are you an IT supplier in that case? Regardless of what Stone may or may not do I think there might be a conflict of interest here...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Are you an IT supplier in that case? Regardless of what Stone may or may not do I think there might be a conflict of interest here...
    No. What happened is they just went and got a quote from the Dell website, the standard consumer/business page. They are meant to order through us the IT unit.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 7andY View Post
    Dell once took 9 months to supply some drives for a server, then sent the wrong ones...
    Never bought Dell since.
    You never thought to chase them after 2 weeks? As much as many companies swear by tehir customer service, mistakes can, and do happen, regardless of the reputation of the manufacturer, and sometimes the onus is on us to follow this up.

7. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

hakko (17th February 2011)

Thank Post
    As a Premier Account member PCs are cheaper and better quality that Stones offerrings. If you are not getting a good price then that's another issue and can't comment on their switches and servers. Someone was quoted last month ~£3000 for a 24Gb RAM Precision Workstation and I told them to order through us. It came to £2000.
    But if you're the only one who can get that pricing from Dell then it's not a lot of use to the rest of us is it, hence the reason I favour other suppliers because I don't need to be on some special elite pricing structure or a member of a 'premier service' because from companies like stone that's their normal service level and their normal pricing which is on offer to all of us regardless.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    No. What happened is they just went and got a quote from the Dell website, the standard consumer/business page. They are meant to order through us the IT unit.
    Nope I had the quote direct Dell which I spoke to at BETT.

What also annoys me is they will suddenly turn around and group not just a few pounds off quotes but thousands. Which is them just purely being greedy.

I know everybody is out to make money - but i've had dell drop 6k off a quote without even questioning it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    But if you're the only one who can get that pricing from Dell then it's not a lot of use to the rest of us is it, hence the reason I favour other suppliers because I don't need to be on some special elite pricing structure or a member of a 'premier service' because from companies like stone that's their normal service level and their normal pricing which is on offer to all of us regardless.
    We are also on a special "premier account" with Stone and even then they were more expensive!

There are schools with premier accounts. Schools in regions have to get together and become a consortium and/or via LA. If you are out on your own, you will not get the best deals.

Thank Post
    We are also on a special "premier account" with Stone and even then they were more expensive!

There are schools with premier accounts. Schools in regions have to get together and become a consortium and/or via LA. If you are out on your own, you will not get the best deals.
    Depending on quantities and what I am buying I can purchase PCs via a consortium or directly from a supplier and the direct route is generally the same price or cheaper. However the hassle of going through a consortium or a tender to European standards and the regulations you have to abide by do add a hidden cost it's difficult to quantify.

Stone aren't cheap which is a surprise being as they use cheap components and cases, presumably leading to the higher than expected failure rates we have seen (5% requiring a call out fix on the Stone PCs in the first year compared to less than 0.2% on the business class HP and Dell PCs). The big manufacturer PCs are much higher quality and generally cheaper but only if you go direct. If you are going to a reseller then you probably pay more unless that reseller asks for a "special bid" from the manufacturer. The only gotcha I have learned is not to buy Dell PCs at the beginning of their sales quarter as you can't get as good prices as at the end of the quarter. The HP PCs tend to be more consistent prices throughout the year.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by notnow View Post
    Stone aren't cheap which is a surprise being as they use cheap components and cases,
    We've just bought a number of Stone machines:

They were cheaper than any mainstream brand.
    They came with a 5 year warranty.
    The components are all branded and what I would consider good quality.
    Cases don't feel cheap, I warned the salesman that I would "kid test" the demo machine they sent by being deliberately rough in trying to damage it, and it stood up to the punishment.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    I'm somewhat amazed by the issues I've seen here. While I respect that others might have had other experiences and are certainly entitled to their opinions, it does sound like one or two people who have a major downer on one vendor.

We've had very good experience with Stone over the years - there's an argument to be made that our support experience with them used to be "out of this world" and is now merely "bloody excellent" but we've been very happy with them for as long as I've worked here (12 years now, going back to when Stone were Cometdata).

We've got about 1200 to 1400 machines here, and about 80/90% of them are Stone and I've been delighted with their overall 'package'.

• Decent quality products (not perfect, we have had a few bad batches of kit but these have been the sorts of problems that affected lots of OEMs, not just Stone)
    • Good warranty
    • Great support
    • Good value (not the cheapest 'bottom line' price per unit, but when you consider the other matters they've always had the best overall "value" imho.
    • knowledgeable staff at all levels who go out of their way to be helpful and, where needed, to work with you on finding a good solution a problem as opposed to merely "shifting boxes".
    • Willing to supply eval kit.

Currently going through buying another 72 laptops with them, and I am totally comfortable with that.
    Last edited by Roberto; 7th April 2011 at 01:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Hmm ,

I have bought over 200 Stone Pc's over the last 6 years or so and have always found them to be reliable and the cases sturdy if not a bit basic , out of all these machines perhaps I had a call out for about 7 , usually duff ram or a Gphx card but nothing major and it was always sorted next day , also find them good for AV installs , free advice , quotes etc , all in all one of the better companies out there , I have about 10 call me a week , we do this and that bla bla.

I have 1 years warranty on most of them for now , and perhaps just for the sake of something different may try Dell or HP , but can highly recommend them for service and good kit IMHO.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567