+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Are Stone Computers rubbish for you as well? in Technical; Any of you guys still dealing with stone? I could use some accurate and up to date pricing from them, ...
    Thank Post
    Any of you guys still dealing with stone? I could use some accurate and up to date pricing from them, without having to talk to them (for one reason or another) If any of you have recently had a quote for any equipment particularly their new N109 laptop / tablet could you send me the spec and prices please?

Cheers all.

Thank Post
    Stone are, in a word, rubbish. We took out a 5 year on-site warranty with them 4 years ago. All of a sudden the computers are dying one by one and although they are still covered by warranty, they don't have the parts in stock. This means we can sometimes we waiting a month to change a motherboard/hard drive etc.

Thank Post
    I'm still using them yes.
    I think my previous posts on here are probably fairly positive and praise filled, and still represent my current thoughts/feelings.
    Still baffled by the very negative responses by some here - so, so different to my experience over 5 or 6 years of using them!

4. Thanks to mb2k01 from:

david_1152 (10th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bandgeekmafia78 View Post
    Stone are, in a word, rubbish. We took out a 5 year on-site warranty with them 4 years ago. All of a sudden the computers are dying one by one and although they are still covered by warranty, they don't have the parts in stock. This means we can sometimes we waiting a month to change a motherboard/hard drive etc.
    To be fair, that's not just Stone. Any major manufacturer will begin to lose specific model parts after about 3 years as it's just too inneficiant and costly to keep them for any longer. There are plenty of instances on here where people have returned laptops etc only to recive a 'free' upgrade due to a lack of model spares. TBH, I wouldn't get a maintenance package for more than 3 years for these reasons alone.

Thank Post
    We've been using Stone since 2005 (ish) and all our 250 PCs are now from them. We also have laptops and recently 4 ESXi host servers.
    The odd occassion we have had bad units on delivery but this was always sorted out without quibble the next day.

Occassionally we buy units from elsewhere and although the quality may be on par or better than Stone the support was nowhere near as good.

Thank Post
    I'd be worried about any organisation that uses Stone PCs. I've been around the public sector and there are staff that see a broken PC as a "day off".

I don't care if your "support is great", you send someone out next day etc. etc. I'd rather NOT have to use your support because your PCs never break down.

I have raised my issues with Stone. We even had "big cheese" come down to see us Stone, you are the weakest link, goodbye!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hakko View Post
    I'd be worried about any organisation that uses Stone PCs. I've been around the public sector and there are staff that see a broken PC as a "day off".

I don't care if your "support is great", you send someone out next day etc. etc. I'd rather NOT have to use your support because your PCs never break down.

I have raised my issues with Stone. We even had "big cheese" come down to see us Stone, you are the weakest link, goodbye!
    I'm amazed by this. We've been using Stone for several years now, and seldom have any problems with the hardware itself. Pre and post-sales service and support has been first class. Given that we generally replace between 80 and 100 each year, and have seen very few failures, I guess it's a matter of take them as you find them - in our case, I'd take them. As for the warranty mentioned above, as per the reply to that it's not unusual to find this with fifth year of a warranty because few places are in a position to hold stock in that way - and Stone's recycling has helped them with this anyway.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My biggest issue when I've spoken to Stone was simply price. They have been about 20% more expensive than Viglen for every quote I had asked for.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    My biggest issue when I've spoken to Stone was simply price. They have been about 20% more expensive than Viglen for every quote I had asked for.
    See for me that's worked the other way round, with the exception of a bunch of L60 laptops which we had of Viglen 2 years ago which was a big mistake seeing as Viglen are unable to supply replacement screens for them on their own, and want to charge £170 for a new laptop chassis everytime we need to replace a screen. After a lot of ringing around I sourced the replacement screen from another supplier, but I shouldn't have to do that so that annoys me about Viglen.

@hakko - I'm still surprised by this, as I've still never had major issues with Stone. The worst it got was with their recent NT200 laptop and its strange over heating problem, but this has now been resolved to my satisfaction. You will never get PCs that 'don't break down' that's an impossibility and seeing as Stone build their machines from relatively generic componants there's as greater chance of a Stone PC breaking down as any other brand.

@bandgeekmafia78 - Are your machines the Older all-in-one machines with 17" screens? And are the problems to do with the logic boards failing in the monitors? If so, then there's a really good reason they can't get the spares, and that's because a rather large foreign componant manufacturer who produced the fairly custom screens for that model went under a while back so they cannot souce new parts for them any more. I don't really blame Stone for that, it wasn't a small manufacturer and a lot of PC producers got caught out in the same way.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    See for me that's worked the other way round, with the exception of a bunch of L60 laptops which we had of Viglen 2 years ago which was a big mistake seeing as Viglen are unable to supply replacement screens for them on their own, and want to charge £170 for a new laptop chassis everytime we need to replace a screen. After a lot of ringing around I sourced the replacement screen from another supplier, but I shouldn't have to do that so that annoys me about Viglen.
    That is normal practice with computer manufacturers. Go to HP and see if you can get just the LCD panel, they'll say no and you have to buy the top part of the laptop as a whole unit. Price sounds about right too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That is normal practice with computer manufacturers. Go to HP and see if you can get just the LCD panel, they'll say no and you have to buy the top part of the laptop as a whole unit. Price sounds about right too.
    On the understanding that a broken screen won't be picked up by the warranty, the manufacturer is the last place I'd go for a new screen for all the reasons above. Sooooo many people offering replacement panels now there's really no need and I've never had one yet that didn't come out of the housings etc for just a screen swap. bit off topic though so I'll leave that there

Thank Post

@hakko - I'm still surprised by this, as I've still never had major issues with Stone. The worst it got was with their recent NT200 laptop and its strange over heating problem, but this has now been resolved to my satisfaction. You will never get PCs that 'don't break down' that's an impossibility and seeing as Stone build their machines from relatively generic componants there's as greater chance of a Stone PC breaking down as any other brand.

@bandgeekmafia78 - Are your machines the Older all-in-one machines with 17" screens? And are the problems to do with the logic boards failing in the monitors? If so, then there's a really good reason they can't get the spares, and that's because a rather large foreign componant manufacturer who produced the fairly custom screens for that model went under a while back so they cannot souce new parts for them any more. I don't really blame Stone for that, it wasn't a small manufacturer and a lot of PC producers got caught out in the same way.

Mike.
    Been perfect as well other than nt200 like above, they said resolved but testing if worked, have they got back to you?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edumoto View Post
    On the understanding that a broken screen won't be picked up by the warranty, the manufacturer is the last place I'd go for a new screen for all the reasons above. Sooooo many people offering replacement panels now there's really no need and I've never had one yet that didn't come out of the housings etc for just a screen swap. bit off topic though so I'll leave that there
    I can get official Dell replacements for their D520/530 range of machines for the same as I can source them from elsewhere, I can get replacement screens for my Toshiba netbooks from Toshiba if I so desire as well. Admitedly I rarely buy from the manufacturer, but still it's nice to have the choice and not have to buy un-necessary bits just to change the screen.

@antichrest - I believe they have finished testing it now, they sent me a replacement machine which I've been assured shouldn't suffer from the same issues as the previous one, 3 days in and it seems ok.
    Last edited by maniac; 9th February 2011 at 06:28 PM.

Thank Post
    I can get official Dell replacements for their D520/530 range of machines for the same as I can source them from elsewhere, I can get replacement screens for my Toshiba netbooks from Toshiba if I so desire as well...
    out of interest maniac, can you remember roughly what you paid for the Tosh stuff direct from Tosh? whenever I've tried them directly they have wanted £150-£250 + Vat for standard 15" screens. I've not had to do netbook stuff yet (touch wood), but the third party 15"/15.4" are generally between £60 and £90. (£90 tends to be for the dell speific models that have the inverters hard wired.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edumoto View Post
    out of interest maniac, can you remember roughly what you paid for the Tosh stuff direct from Tosh? whenever I've tried them directly they have wanted £150-£250 + Vat for standard 15" screens. I've not had to do netbook stuff yet (touch wood), but the third party 15"/15.4" are generally between £60 and £90. (£90 tends to be for the dell speific models that have the inverters hard wired.
    I can't remember, it's only 1 trolley of netbooks we have from Toshiba and I've only had to replace 1 screen so far. It was under £100, but I think we did find it cheaper from elsewhere in the end anyway.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast