+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, Are Stone Computers rubbish for you as well? in Technical; Originally Posted by cookie_monster Maybe you had a bad batch. We had a bad batch one year that had a ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Maybe you had a bad batch. We had a bad batch one year that had a load of bad memory we had 6 out of 30 fail but in the end Stone came out and replaced all the memory.
    Sorry, too many bad batches.

BTW The best cases are screwless and no sharp edges, with the drives that can be slid in clipped on etc. With the case allowing it to run cool and quiet. In a room full of XXX the Stone it the loudest machine! Then again it does have a larger PSU which if they specced the machine as orginally required, could have been avoided.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Haven't brought many pcs from them in last year but seem ok the ones we have had.

Russ

Thank Post
    I've had mixed experience with most manufacturers, from big names like Dell and HP through Stone and beyond.
    What I have noticed in the ten years I've been dealing with them is that the kit nowadays is generally a lot 'cheaper' to manufacture. Cases I had ten years ago were much better and sturdier. Components were ballistics-resilient and generally never caused a problem through their lifespan.

Their support service is second-to-none in regards replacing kit (though a recent email from them indicates we now have to pay up front for replacement kit before we can claim it back!!) and their sales staff are friendly and helpful (in the whole) compared to some companies.

I'm concerned their PC manufacturing lot are letting the side down and they're trying to cut too many cost corners in their latest kit. You shouldn't have to worry (like we do) that the kit is going to detonate component by component. Power supplies burning out, graphics cards overheating, BIOS settings not there, aset tags not inserted as requested, keyboards that don't work with motherboards.

To be fair to them, they have tried to resolve most issues when I've raised them - but you shouldn't HAVE to raise these kinds of problems with them, which ultimately causes their sales and support teams a logistical headache.

Like HP over ten years ago they seem to be shooting themselves in the foot...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    we purchased 226 machines last summer so far only 3 problems all hard disk related alot more reliable then the machines i got from Edutec/SCL Online at my last place which we sent back over 40/50 from a batch on 160 and apparently more have been sent back since i left. these where brand new machines in september 2008. most of them had to have the CPU reseated hard disks replaced etc. but the warranty said we where not allowed to remove the case so it had to be sent back and the brand new classrooms for most of the time not having 30 machines in and teachers moaning as the brand new computers kept failling over

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tsky View Post
    I've had mixed experience with most manufacturers, from big names like Dell and HP through Stone and beyond.
    We have been buying acer laptops for staff and students - and suffice to say we will never do that again.
    After purchasing 70 over the summer we have returned 5 with the same dead hardware .

Luckily we do all our shopping through Akhter, who are pretty speedy at sorting them. But still!

Thank Post
    We have Stone notebooks, and Rock notebooks (same company)..no complaints with the kit, the service, or the customer care..they've been quite simply ace..

Thank Post
    We've been buying stations from Stone for about 4 years now and have always found the service, delivery, pre-sales and post-sales and stations themselves all of a very good standard.

The fact is, Stone are getting bigger not smaller, and that is a concern, as that often signifies a dip in standards. Until that happens, though, we'll certainly be sticking with them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hakko View Post
    I'm not sure how much you know about cases and if you've seen cases of other manfacturer PCs.

These cases are like basically cheap ones you'd get off ebuyer or something.

Well I've worked in education IT for 10 years in several schools we've bought PC's from companies across the spectrum from HP, Dell, RM (good cases they know a bit about education) to budget end (clunky sharp edges so on) when we've needed to.

I think it's fair to say that I've seen several thousand cases over that time and I know a bit about 'good' cases, they're generally the ones that last. All of the Stone cases that we've had have been towards the top end when it comes to build quality (strong, no sharp edges etc) and are certainly some of the quietest PC's we've had, I can happily stand in a room with 30 running and you hardly know they're running.

Most of ours are the Stone Small Form Factor PC so I can't comment on the towers but I find it hard to believe that their case quality has taken such a dive in the last 12 months when they've been consistently good in that area for years.

Stone Computers - Computers, Computer Equipment

Thank Post
    Just thought I'd add my piece to this.......

We had Stone as one of our final two potential suppliers in our tender for a full network rebuild last summer. We were invited down to their HQ it Stafford, their sales guys (Jake and Miles) couldn't have been more helpful and I was very impressed by their setup and the proposal that they made. Certainly on the supply of PC's, their PC's appeared well built, and the only issue I had with the case, was that the blanking plates were a little flimsy.

Ultimately we didn't choose them (but that's for reasons not to do with this), but it was so incredibly close that it was actually really hard to ring them to tell them that unfotunately they hadn't won this order (unlike when we range RM, Ramesys and the other companies who tendered).

Thank Post
    and are certainly some of the quietest PC's we've had, I can happily stand in a room with 30 running and you hardly know they're running.
    I think it must depend on which form factor youve got then. A couple of batchs of our Stone PCs are by far the loudest PCs ive ever encountered.

I dont mind the cases. They've lasted fairly well, but they just dont compare to the plastic Dells of 2000-2004.

Thank Post
    The Stones we have are large form factor we have 6 running in the office all with the cases half open and you still can hardly hear them. It probly depends on the make of fan/PSU that purchased at that time.

Thank Post
    Well I've worked in education IT for 10 years in several schools we've bought PC's from companies across the spectrum from HP, Dell, RM (good cases they know a bit about education) to budget end (clunky sharp edges so on) when we've needed to.

I think it's fair to say that I've seen several thousand cases over that time and I know a bit about 'good' cases, they're generally the ones that last. All of the Stone cases that we've had have been towards the top end when it comes to build quality (strong, no sharp edges etc) and are certainly some of the quietest PC's we've had, I can happily stand in a room with 30 running and you hardly know they're running.

Most of ours are the Stone Small Form Factor PC so I can't comment on the towers but I find it hard to believe that their case quality has taken such a dive in the last 12 months when they've been consistently good in that area for years.

Stone Computers - Computers, Computer Equipment
    We get their towers, sharp edges, flimsy metal blanking plates/front ports. We've had the Stone sticker fall off on some of them and on switches breaking as well as the front USB ports on our bosses PC, falling off. Basically they are a cheap class of case that does not go with so called "branded components" they provide.

Thank Post
    We get their towers, sharp edges, flimsy metal blanking plates/front ports. We've had the Stone sticker fall off on some of them and on switches breaking as well as the front USB ports on our bosses PC, falling off. Basically they are a cheap class of case that does not go with so called "branded components" they provide.
    We have the the ones shown below - the only thing i was annoyed about was the firewire card not being able to connect to the motherboard - but its only me using firewire so didn't really have to worry as i just took my pci card out my old machine. We have lost most the stone stickers but you tend to lose lots of them anyway enless you by from the giants that have them built onto the cases.

Thank Post
    The Stone logo used to be a button, nice big button - I think that was a better case looks wise.

Thank Post
    The Stone logo used to be a button, nice big button - I think that was a better case looks wise.
    yeah the 226 where delivered in july last year we are going to be hopefully buying 170ish more for next summer but will depend on what the likes of HP have to offer for the price that we got these as they where a very good deal

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast