+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Printservers & Canon printers in Technical; Just thought I'd share this nugget as you may find yourself coming up against this one. Canon printers do not ...
    Thank Post

Printservers & Canon printers

Just thought I'd share this nugget as you may find yourself coming up against this one.

Canon printers do not like to play with regular printservers.. instead you need to consider specially designed units like Silex or possibly some of the new breed of USB servers (Keyspan, Silex again).

I'm currently planning some testing on some units over the next few weeks (assuming suppliers decide to let me play before I pay) so I'll share the results in due course.

Have to add though that for standard printservers the HP en3700 is an absolute dream and work beautifully without the random trash prints that my old Linksys units. Just a shame I got a slew of them before I realised they didn't like Canon printers.. ops:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Printservers & Canon printers

What model of Cannon printer?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    What model of Cannon printer?
    Pixma models...

iP4200, iP4300..

From what I've been reading it seems that not many Canons work with HP jetdirect at all.. something to do with the way they communicate.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by contink
    Canon printers do not like to play with regular printservers
    I'm glad you did share. We've always used Pricom C-6200U for Canon PSCs but were considering something cheaper for a Pixma IX4000. I think I'll stick to what I know works. cheers.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1
    I'm glad you did share. We've always used Pricom C-6200U for Canon PSCs but were considering something cheaper for a Pixma IX4000. I think I'll stick to what I know works. cheers.
    Can you give me some info on those 6200U's as I've been having some very real problems getting anything useful from the websites as to reliability, etc...

The more info you can offer the better as I really need something reliable and I suspect there's others who could too.

Thank Post

Can you give me some info on those 6200U's as I've been having some very real problems getting anything useful from the websites as to reliability, etc...

The more info you can offer the better as I really need something reliable and I suspect there's others who could too.
    Well they've been reliable with the MP730/780/830. What specifically would you like to know?

From the silex europe website:

"PRICOM C-6200U is a USB print server for 10/100 BASE-TX network environment developed exclusively for Canon Bubble Jet Printers. "

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Pixma models iP4200, iP4300
    For what it's worth, these printers work with Linux reasonably ok. So if you want, you could recycle some old boxes and turn them into Linux based print servers to run your Canon printers?

Thank Post

Well they've been reliable with the MP730/780/830. What specifically would you like to know?
    I guess I should give a little background here..

Until recently I've been using Epsons a lot on Linksys printservers and their reliability was pretty awe inspiringly bad, not helped by area power failures as a regular occurence. Problems like junked printjobs spewing out random characters, and lockups were common issues. Since I moved to the HP en3700 models I've had virtually no problems at all..

Basically I'm curious as to how reliable the units are, and whether they have any potential problems or things to keep an eye out for that could cause problems for a standard user (read: a teacher with technophobia).

My primary usage is in schools where I provide support as and when, rather than being on site, so if the printserver has minimal troubleshooting requirements it's worth the expense.

From the silex europe website:

"PRICOM C-6200U is a USB print server for 10/100 BASE-TX network environment developed exclusively for Canon Bubble Jet Printers. "
    Yeah, I found various sources of info in that regard but only on their website.. No real world reviews that I could see, so your input is invaluable.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    Pixma models iP4200, iP4300
    For what it's worth, these printers work with Linux reasonably ok. So if you want, you could recycle some old boxes and turn them into Linux based print servers to run your Canon printers?
    I've been considering that too as an option because old boxes abound at the moment..

The only problem with those is that they tend to be more admin intensive and given the power problems I'm loath to create more work rather than less. It's something I'm going to look at more though..

...and for anyone else looking at this option the resource you need is Turboprint and CUPS for the drivers and queue management.

Thank Post

Basically I'm curious as to how reliable the units are, and whether they have any potential problems or things to keep an eye out for that could cause problems for a standard user (read: a teacher with technophobia).

My primary usage is in schools where I provide support as and when, rather than being on site, so if the printserver has minimal troubleshooting requirements it's worth the expense.
    They have worked fine with the Canon PSCs mentioned above for years. The only problems we've had have been when the power's been unplugged

Will be trying one with a Pixma shortly.

Thank Post

They have worked fine with the Canon PSCs mentioned above for years. The only problems we've had have been when the power's been unplugged
    LOL.. ok.. are you simply suggesting that someone unplugged the printserver and then of course it didn't work until it was plugged back in?
    :P

... or is it a case of it doesn't reset too well if it loses power?

Would appreciate your feedback on that when you've had some time with it..

Cheers.

Thank Post

are you simply suggesting that someone unplugged the printserver and then of course it didn't work until it was plugged back in?
    :P

... or is it a case of it doesn't reset too well if it loses power?
    The former.

Would appreciate your feedback on that when you've had some time with it..

Cheers.
    Will do.

Thank Post

Thought I'd just report back on this as I've done some digging over the past 2 weeks and aside from some very unsatisfactory cr*p communication (ie: no response to emails or calls) from Propos.co.uk the Silex distributor for the UK I've managed to get a few answers as to how things work.

Apparently the C-6200U works as a sort of double role.. in that it provides the connected printer as a normal print server would complete with reporting back ink levels, etc.. (which is obviously not normal).. but add to that it also allows one user to "lock" the server to their PC (assuming drivers installed) for multifunctional printer functions such as fax, scanning and memory card/stick functionality.. all this without actually stopping users from printing from elsewhere on the network.

Obviously you need to have a relevant MFP like the MP500, 780, etc...

That's what I got from the German technician for Silex but I'd like to check that jells with meastaugh1's experience... care to shed any light meas' ?

Even more interesting though I was told that propos.co.uk 's prices are a little on the high side for this unit with the cost from silexeurope.com being 85 euros + tax + delivery... quite a bit less than the £99 that propos want and I was reliably informed that propos prices shouldn't be that high..

I'll let you know more when I actually speak to the sales manager tomorrow (well that's the promise)..

Thank Post

Hi Contink,

I had the same poor experience with Propos recently. The fact they're not responding to phone/fax would suggest they've shut up shop, despite Silex insisting they were still a current reseller.

However Silex put me in contact with an alternate UK distributor, who in turn put me through to a local reseller. I've ordered a couple of C-6200Us and now just have to wait for them to be delivered: 2 weeks

Yeah it would seem the price was high. I ordered the units for approx £68 each + delivery.

Afraid I don't have the contact details for the UK distributor/reseller as I'm not at work this week, but if you call through to Silex Europe, they should put you through to a company other than Propos.

Your description of the functionality is mostly right. It acts as normal print server, but to scan you need to acquire exclusive access to the scan functionality. I'm not sure whether other users are prevented from printing for the duration of the lockout session, or just when an exclusive (scan) action is performed.

Mike

Thank Post

Hi Contink,

I had the same poor experience with Propos recently. The fact they're not responding to phone/fax would suggest they've shut up shop, despite Silex insisting they were still a current reseller.

However Silex put me in contact with an alternate UK distributor, who in turn put me through to a local reseller. I've ordered a couple of C-6200Us and now just have to wait for them to be delivered: 2 weeks
    That's interesting... I'll see what happens but I think I may end up insisting on them delivering direct especially based on what you've just said.. My timeline allows for a week of testing, and 2 days to deliver.. not 2 weeks to deliver.. :?

Yeah it would seem the price was high. I ordered the units for approx £68 each + delivery.

Afraid I don't have the contact details for the UK distributor/reseller as I'm not at work this week, but if you call through to Silex Europe, they should put you through to a company other than Propos.
    I'll give them a call and see what I get.

Your description of the functionality is mostly right. It acts as normal print server, but to scan you need to acquire exclusive access to the scan functionality. I'm not sure whether other users are prevented from printing for the duration of the lockout session, or just when an exclusive (scan) action is performed.
    The tech seemed to indicate that printing was not affected but I'm guessing it is in some way or other.. Probably queued until a scan is complete or similar..

Either way I guess I'll find out soon enough.. If these things do the job they seem to, then I'm looking at buying 8 of these straight off the bat (3 schools).

Thanks for the input...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast