+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Cooling fan with a difference in Technical; We are running a PC within a locker cabinet (the sort of locker kids put their plimsoles in!) but inevitably, ...
    theeldergeek

Cooling fan with a difference

We are running a PC within a locker cabinet (the sort of locker kids put their plimsoles in!) but inevitably, we are getting overheating problems as there is just no air circulation in there.

We have drilled some holes in the cabinet, but I fear it needs something sucking air in and blowing air out.

Something like this Coolerguys Dual 80mm USB Powered Cabinet Cooler for Cabinet & Home Theaters | Cool PC Inc. DBA Coolerguys.com would suffice, as we would prefer a fan that comes on only when the PC is powered, however, it appears that product may not be entirely suited according to the reviews (short lead, problems mounting)

As the machine in the cabinet is a Dell Optiplex 745 USFF, there isn't enough connectors to run additional fans from the m'board connectors.

So, let's get creative. Any ideas how we can apply a cooling solution to what is effectively a metal cabinet?

For next to nothing by the way.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,942 Times in 1,425 Posts
    Blog Entries
    room fans, take the blades off, make your own (put atleast 7 on in replacement), turn it on full power. You will get a much nicer cool breeze

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    room fans, take the blades off, make your own (put atleast 7 on in replacement), turn it on full power. You will get a much nicer cool breeze
    Room fans? As in oscillation fans? I should point out that the locker dimensions are actually quite small, not much bigger than the PC that is in there.

Thank Post
    You can get fans that plug into the ide power connector.

EVERCOOL|FOX-3|FAN, 3.5" BAY, FOX-3 | CPC

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    You can get fans that plug into the ide power connector.

EVERCOOL|FOX-3|FAN, 3.5" BAY, FOX-3 | CPC
    These are Dell USFF Optiplex 7 series machines; there is no IDE power connector (Molex) only SATA. Because they are USFF, there are also minimum connectors available. In this case, there is but one SATA power connector. I am investigating a 'Y' piece for the SATA connector, but it's what it splits to that is causing me a headache. Ideally, I need it to split out to 1 SATA and 2 MOLEX. That way, I can connect 2 fans to the MOLEX connectors and mount them to the side of the cabinet.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    @theeldergeek: Does the Dell-boy box have a case fan? If it does, it will have a case fan pin out on the mainboard. If you remove the top-half of the case (a good tug should do it... although just looking at some Dell kit will make it fall apart) you can attach something like Scan.co.uk: 180mm Silverstone FM181 White Quiet Case Fan with Fan Speed Controller to the locker.

If your locker is in a single column with air on either side, you could have two fans... one sucking in cold air and one pushing out the hot

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I don't think it will be enough as we need to forcibly draw air in, and then extract it. We have a 4" hole in the back, and 'lots' of holes drilled in the side, but there is no convection going on. If we can find a way to attach fans to the side of the cabinet (in itself not an issue) we could draw air in and extract it. The problem is powering the fans so that they are only on when the machine is on. Obviously we could just switch off at the mains, but as we control the machine remotely, we are also trying to avoid visiting the location to do what we are hoping can be automated.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    which parts are over heating? the cpu or the whole thing in general? as you could just buy a big old heatsink for it

or the cable you after is it one of these Akasa multi fan connection with speed reduction (AK-CB001) - dabs.com

then lots of fans!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    USB-powered fans? Or ones with molex connectors and run them from inside the PC? You'd just need to be handy with a soldering iron or chockblock.

Thank Post
    What about using one of those eon power blocks to turn the fans on and off as the pc is on/off. Only problem i see is not being able to remotely turn the PC back on possibly.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    which parts are over heating? the cpu or the whole thing in general? as you could just buy a big old heatsink for it

or the cable you after is it one of these Akasa multi fan connection with speed reduction (AK-CB001) - dabs.com

then lots of fans!
    Nice cable, and perfect, except it is MOLEX and I only have 1 SATA power connector. If I can find a cable that connects to a SATA connector and then splits to SATA and MOLEX in turn allowing me to power a SATA drive and split off to MOLEX, then that cable will be just right I think.

It's the whole thing that is overheating, not just the CPU. When you open the locker, the heat that hits you is quite something!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Loads of fan/molex/power cables here: Kustom PCs Molex Cables

Thank Post
    What about a fan/s powerer by usb ?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Mobile-Fan-External-Cooling/dp/B00080G0BK"]Amazon.com: Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan - Us: Electronics[/ame]
    Last edited by difinity; 3rd March 2010 at 12:19 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @theeldergeek: Does the Dell-boy box have a case fan? If it does, it will have a case fan pin out on the mainboard. If you remove the top-half of the case (a good tug should do it... although just looking at some Dell kit will make it fall apart) you can attach something like Scan.co.uk: 180mm Silverstone FM181 White Quiet Case Fan with Fan Speed Controller to the locker.

If your locker is in a single column with air on either side, you could have two fans... one sucking in cold air and one pushing out the hot
    Missed the 200mm fan - Scan.co.uk: Big Boy 200 - Antec BIG BOY 200 -200mm manual 3 speed fan -THIS IS NONE STANDARD CASE FAN SIZE

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast