+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Cooling fan with a difference in Technical; Originally Posted by difinity What about a fan/s powerer by usb ? Get an old 5v fan and a usb ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    What about a fan/s powerer by usb ?
    Get an old 5v fan and a usb lead. Strip back the usb lead and connect the red and black leads to the red and black leads on the fan. Cheap as chips.

2. Thanks to laserblazer from:

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    USB is only +5v I believe. Not sure the fans would spin fast enough to do what we need, in addition, aside from the ones I mentioned at the top of the thread, I can't find any.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Get an old 5v fan and a usb lead. Strip back the usb lead and connect the red and black leads to the red and black leads on the fan. Cheap as chips.

Not sure +5v will be 'man' enough to spin the fans fast enough to do the job, although obviously bigger fans = more air movement. Due to the lack of m'board connectors available to me to connect fans onto, USB is probably going to have to be the route we take.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @theeldergeek: Does the Dell-boy box have a case fan? If it does, it will have a case fan pin out on the mainboard. If you remove the top-half of the case (a good tug should do it... although just looking at some Dell kit will make it fall apart) you can attach something like Scan.co.uk: 180mm Silverstone FM181 White Quiet Case Fan with Fan Speed Controller to the locker.

If your locker is in a single column with air on either side, you could have two fans... one sucking in cold air and one pushing out the hot
    The idea is to have a suck and blow arrangement, but it's how we power the fans that is the problem. It isn't a single column arrangement however, but the locker in question is on one end of a row, so we do have a side and a rear to which we can attach fans.

There are in actual fact 2 fans in the case, both powered by 4 pin connectors off the board. One is blowing air across the CPU, the other is extracting air out of the case and it is almost a 'tunnel' of air in the way it is arranged. Being Dell however, I doubt the connectors are 'standard' (they don't look it).

This http://www.book4e.cn/xie/DSC02848.JPG is what the inside of the PC case looks like, although in this pic, the CPU heatsink sits between the 2 fans as it has been removed to get to the CPU. The HDD goes where the heatsink is shown.

Thank Post
    Use the 5v to switch a relay. Use the relay to control a pair of low voltage fans fed from a 12v wall-wart. Or if you can build, or get someone to build, a mains relay to switch the fan or wall-wart.

Fans could be as big as you want!

Thank Post
    230V Main Axial Fans : 12V / Mains Fans : Maplin

You'd probably need to get it PAT tested.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Remove the door to the locker and replace it with a couple of removable bars - pref across the switches etc - so no one can get in to muck it up but the server would be cooler

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Remove the door to the locker and replace it with a couple of removable bars - pref across the switches etc - so no one can get in to muck it up but the server would be cooler
    Unfortunately, the locker is in a corridor and part of a set of lockers that students use. The PC therein is actually being used to run xibo on a LCD TV for presentations and such like.

I fear that if the locker door were removed, and the innards protected from 'fingers', we would soon find various 'deposits' left for us, i.e. banana skins, apple cores, crisp packets and half eaten sarnies.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    230V Main Axial Fans : 12V / Mains Fans : Maplin

You'd probably need to get it PAT tested.

I like the look of those, I have to say; regretfully, they are going to need manual on off switching unless we fit a timer. As the unit is about 15 foot away from the office, none of us wants to walk that far and flick a switch...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    I like the look of those, I have to say; regretfully, they are going to need manual on off switching unless we fit a timer. As the unit is about 15 foot away from the office, none of us wants to walk that far and flick a switch...

What about one of these?

ONECLICK Intelliplug CSIMP205 Energy Saving Powers All Desktop Computer Peripherals ON And Off Automatically- microdirect.co.uk

12. Thanks to truslack from:

Thank Post
    How about one of these water cooled jobs?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post

Better than a timer would be a thermostat attached to it to keep it cool.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    What about getting a cheap mini fridge and ripping it apart and building it into the cab

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Midget View Post
    What about getting a cheap mini fridge and ripping it apart and building it into the cab
    Wouldn't the condensation/damp be awful?

theeldergeek
    Who, in their right mind, calls a product "Big Boy" !!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast