+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Transceiver for fibre switch in Technical; Hi there, Can anyone help me out with this. We have a San with a fibre switch. We are just ...

Thank Post

Transceiver for fibre switch

Hi there,

Can anyone help me out with this. We have a San with a fibre switch. We are just adding a new host machine to the setup.

We have two fibre cards in a server (emulex 1150 4gb) and we have come to plug them into the fibre switch. We have enough ports in the switch but we need adapters in the ports. I think these are called transceivers. That's what it seems to call them on the emc documentation for the switch. The fibre switches are DS-300b connectrix fibre switches.

Anyone know how much two of these adapters will cost us? Are they likely to be expensive?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Hi, you need to check the licensing on that switch as it appears to be licensed in set levels from the EMC spec sheet I just found on Google for it as you may have room but not any licences left for the extra ports. They come in 8,16 and 24 port licences.

http://www.emc.com/collateral/hardwa...-ds300b-ss.pdf

As for the modules I'm struggling to find a part number for them to be able to help you, but yes if they are empty slots you will need the 4gb LC modules for the swtich. Any EMC Authorised Dealer will be able to sort them, perhaps give Dan @ Wstore a call (who are Edugeek Sponsors) EduGeek.net Forums - View Profile: WStore_Dan then he maybe able to help you, if he can't then I know a few other firms who are EMC partners but give him a go.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Hi, you need to check the licensing on that switch as it appears to be licensed in set levels from the EMC spec sheet I just found on Google for it as you may have room but not any licences left for the extra ports. They come in 8,16 and 24 port licences.
    What kind of system charges you a licence to use ports on your own switch?!

I get why you've bought the product and I'm sure it was the best of meet your requirements, but licensing on basic switch hardware? No thanks EMC.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    What kind of system charges you a licence to use ports on your own switch?!

I get why you've bought the product and I'm sure it was the best of meet your requirements, but licensing on basic switch hardware? No thanks EMC.
    HP Brocade SAN Switches also have that as do many other high end fibre SAN Switches. Some just work as simple ports without licences as they open up advanced features such as teaming, redundancy in the links etc

I would also suspect Cisco to be guilty of it....

5. Thanks to john from:

Duke (5th March 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fox1977 View Post
    Hi there,

Anyone know how much two of these adapters will cost us? Are they likely to be expensive?
    The transceivers AKA "SFP 4Gb LC SWL" will cost less than £100 each. You can use generic SFP's from Finisar cost about £45each. But to eliminate any potential support issues just purchase from a EMC reseller. BTW the switch is a re-badged Brocade 300.

Andy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread