Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun 7000series storage (7110) NFS user problem in Technical; Hi Guys, I've got a 7110 here and I have exported a NFS share to a CentOS box, however I ...

Thank Post

Question Sun 7000series storage (7110) NFS user problem

Hi Guys,

I've got a 7110 here and I have exported a NFS share to a CentOS box, however I am having problems with non root users being able to create files on the share.

It works as root with an NFS exception defined for root access.

Normally this is down to the user uid/guid not being existing on the NFS server, but I am not sure how I would go about creating the user on the 7110 as I can only see options for access to the web GUI rather than a standard Linux user.

Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    iirc you dont do user permissions for NFS on the sun storage boxes, its all done by network ACLs.

Thank Post
    @WiPPaH : Click Configuration -> Users to create more users on the box... plus there may be a way to use identity mapping.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @WiPPaH : Click Configuration -> Users to create more users on the box... plus there may be a way to use identity mapping.
    Hmm user 'mysql' already exists on the 7110 so might try forcing MySQL to use a new 'mysql_7110' user instead. Will post back results.

Thank Post
    No Joy

I cant even find a whitepaper on this which seems very odd?!?

Thank Post
    What version opf NFS are you using? Is it worth forcing use of v3 if you're using v4 and vice versa?

Thank Post
    Currently using NFS v3 for compatibility.

Maybe some more information would be helpful.

=On the 7110=
    * Created a new default NFS project and share: RDBMS/MySQL
    * Setup the 'Root Access' exception for the VM.

==On the VM==
    The Virtual Machine is running CentOS 5.4.
    * mounted NFS share as root to /mnt/RDBMS
    * Installed mysqld which creates a new user 'mysql' for the service.
    * Edited /etc/my.cm to change the datadir to /mnt/RDBMS
    * Ran /usr/bin/mysql_install_db as root which creates a 'mysql' and 'test' folder on /mnt/RDBMS and chown's them to the mysql user.

The only thing left to do is start the mysqld via 'service start mysqd' however I receive this error in the /var/log/mysqld error log.

Code:
    100225 12:30:48  mysqld started
    100225 12:30:48 [Warning] Can't create test file /mnt/RDBMS/RDBMS.lower-test
    100225 12:30:48 [Warning] Can't create test file /mnt/RDBMS/RDBMS.lower-test
    /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't change dir to '/mnt/RDBMS/' (Errcode: 13) 100225 12:30:48 [ERROR] Aborting

100225 12:30:48 [Note] /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown complete

100225 12:30:48  mysqld ended
    My conclusion to this is that root has access to the share (through the exception I added) which was able to chown the folders. However when the 'mysql' cant access it as it needs to be defined somewhere on the 7110 (normally the uids & guids need to match on the NFS server as the NFS client).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    That's only for accounts to administer the box, it isn't used for authenticating access to shares:

This section describes users who may administer the appliance, roles to manage authorizations granted to users, and how to add them to the system using the BUI or CLI.

I thought Identity Mapping might be the answer too, but that's just for mapping Windows user accounts to a Unix UID and handling both types of authentication for where you have a share running CIFS and NFS.

Hmm user 'mysql' already exists on the 7110
    I think you're looking at the actual system accounts on the box itself, not ones that would be used for remote authentication. I think you need to be using the ACLs page on the BUI to configure this. I don't know Unix permissions as well as I should, but what happens if you specify mysql@remotehostname? CIFS permissions have to be done in a similar way (username@domian).

Have you looked at the Help wiki on the box itself? It's not entirely clear but does have some information.

Is the virtual machine's VHD on the SAN? If so, then why do you need to create another NFS share to mount on the VM for mysql to use? I'm think I've probably missed something there and there's a good reason.

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WiPPaH View Post
    Currently using NFS v3 for compatibility.

Maybe some more information would be helpful.

=On the 7110=
    * Created a new default NFS project and share: RDBMS/MySQL
    * Setup the 'Root Access' exception for the VM.

==On the VM==
    The Virtual Machine is running CentOS 5.4.
    * mounted NFS share as root to /mnt/RDBMS
    * Installed mysqld which creates a new user 'mysql' for the service.
    * Edited /etc/my.cm to change the datadir to /mnt/RDBMS
    * Ran /usr/bin/mysql_install_db as root which creates a 'mysql' and 'test' folder on /mnt/RDBMS and chown's them to the mysql user.

You would be better in the Virtualisation software (you haven't said which one you are using) mounting the NFS partition in the storage pool and then creating a virtual hard drive on there which you then mount in your CentOS machine.
    Last edited by teejay; 25th February 2010 at 01:44 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Is the virtual machine's VHD on the SAN? If so, then why do you need to create another NFS share to mount on the VM for mysql to use? I'm think I've probably missed something there and there's a good reason.

Cheers,
    Chris
    Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply - The VM's VHD is mounted on the 7110 also, however after reading the Sun Big Admin guides and a blueprint document, they have been raving about how well these boxes can run databases when nfs mounted. The speeds they are getting are pretty awesome, infact ill see if I can find a link...

MySQL Performance on Sun Storage 7000 : Performance Profiles

I have also been following this sun blueprint guide: http://mapping.sun.com/profile/offer.jsp?id=202 (requires SUN account to access)

It actually looks pretty impressive, and a job well suited for these high performance boxes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    You would be better in the Virtualisation software (you haven't said which one you are using) mounting the NFS partition in the storage pool and then creating a virtual hard drive on there which you then mount in your CentOS machine.
    Not a bad idea Teejay - but storing the contents of the database as 1 vmd file might defeat the object of offloading the database files to the 7110 for speed. Check out the links I posted above, if its anything like what Sun are boasting it would be a massive advantage to mount it as a nfs share.
    Last edited by WiPPaH; 25th February 2010 at 02:01 PM.

Thank Post
    I think you're looking at the actual system accounts on the box itself, not ones that would be used for remote authentication. I think you need to be using the ACLs page on the BUI to configure this. I don't know Unix permissions as well as I should, but what happens if you specify mysql@remotehostname? CIFS permissions have to be done in a similar way (username@domian).
    I have set the user of the share to 'mysql@192.168.200.60' but that fails with error "User: Unknown or invalid user" on the 7110.

Have you looked at the Help wiki on the box itself? It's not entirely clear but does have some information.
    I have had a look at the wiki but its not _that_ helpful when it comes to stuff like this, I've got a feeling im doing something majorly wrong here though if I cant find anyone else on google with the same problem. I am pretty sure I am not the first person to want to set exact permissions on an NFS share with these boxes.

Thank Post
    Hmm, not sure if I'm confused here or not:

• The VM which runs MySQL is running from the 7110 (i.e. it's VDHs are on there)
    • There is an additional share on the 7110 which is mapped to the VM for MySQL to use

I really, really might be wrong here, but I can't see how this would be of benefit. If the VM is already on the 7110, then if you tell MySQL to use the normal, local storage location it will already be on the 7110 (inside the VHD)? Granted, it wouldn't have it's own dedicated share, but unless there is a performance difference in the shares this wouldn't matter. The 7110 is still doing the same amount of read/writes, just in a slightly different location.

I admit I didn't look closely at the Sun doc you linked to, but my guess would be they might be talking about a physical Linux server running from local disk drives, then you map NFS storage on the 7110 to it and tell MySQL to use that remote storage.

Again, I may be completely wrong, haven't had a chance to look closely!

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WiPPaH View Post
    Not a bad idea Teejay - but storing the contents of the database as 1 vmd file might defeat the object of offloading the database files to the 7110 for speed.
    Im not sure thats true. From what ive read (and so far experianced) SUN, NFS, VHDs, and Xen (s it xen your using?) all play very nicely together.

ATM (i wont go into exactly why) we actually have our full windows file server as a VHD! Performance seems fine

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    ATM (i wont go into exactly why) we actually have our full windows file server as a VHD! Performance seems fine
    I think you might see a slight performance difference for something like a file server (not saying it's a bad idea and I'm sure you had your reasons for doing so!) because data's having to be processed by Windows then get stored on the NAS/SAN, rather than going direct to the NAS/SAN.

However, in the case of MySQL, data will always have to be processed by the Linux server anyway before it interacts with the disks, so I can't see it making much difference whether the path is to the Linux VHD on the NAS/SAN, or via the Linux server to another share on the NAS/SAN.

j17sparky - For what it's worth, our users talk directly to our Sun 7410 for userdata and resources, but Windows still has the edge for management of userdata in a Windows environment. If you're dependant on using FSRM for quotas or NTFRS for replication then I see no problem (or alternative) to using a Windows server that's connected to the remote storage.

Chris

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast