+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Printer Of The Future? Rewritable Paper in Technical; Link: Prepeat Inkless And Tonerless Rewritable Printer Looks like a good idea: Once you have bought the printer and your ...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,347 Times in 925 Posts
    Blog Entries

Printer Of The Future? Rewritable Paper

Link: Prepeat Inkless And Tonerless Rewritable Printer

Looks like a good idea: Once you have bought the printer and your stock of paper keep on printing/reusing the stock.

However the paper has a sheen reminiscent of fax paper rolls and it is mono.

At Eco Products 2009, Sanwa Newtec exhibited the Prepeat, an eco-printer that can greatly reduce the use of paper media. This rewritable printer has a special-purpose thermal head, and uses special-purpose rewritable paper made of PET plastic. Even after these rewritable sheets have been printed on with the Prepeat, if the documents aren’t needed any longer, they can be erased just by inserting them into the printer. Then the sheets can be used again, as if by magic. The rewritable sheets turn black, then lose their color again, depending on the temperature. These changes are controlled precisely by the sublimation and liquefaction technology in the thermal head. This enables high-speed printing. Because expensive toner, ink, and paper are not needed, using this printer can greatly reduce running costs.
    Video is slow to fully download.
    Last edited by DaveP; 18th February 2010 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Adjust posted URL.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,963 Times in 2,178 Posts
    Everyone knows printers won't exist in the future.

While a good idea in theory I don't think anyone would buy one at its current price. ¥500,000 (~£3,500) for the printer itself and then another ¥300,000 (~£2,100) for 1,000 plastic sheets to print on (which can only be reprinted 1,000 times each). Even if the printers were sold for the same price as printers today, it's obvious they are going to gouge you on the special paper instead just like printer manufacturers do today on ink and toner cartridges.

What I don't understand is why students and teachers still need to print stuff. We have e-mail and this thing called the Internet now, but people are still wasting shed-loads of paper.
    Last edited by Arthur; 18th February 2010 at 01:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    What I don't understand is why students and teachers still need to print stuff. We have e-mail and this thing called the Internet now, but people are still wasting shed-loads of paper.
    I don't understand why people print 1 page emails etc but I can see why they print longer documents - it's much easier to read a long document on paper than on a screen.

Often, people want to make notes on the document; it's not easy to do that on screen (although if you've got One Note and a tablet then it's kind of possible - is there something similar for the iPad??)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    I don't understand why people print 1 page emails etc but I can see why they print longer documents - it's much easier to read a long document on paper than on a screen.

Often, people want to make notes on the document; it's not easy to do that on screen (although if you've got One Note and a tablet then it's kind of possible - is there something similar for the iPad??)
    It's smaller cousin the iphone ?? lol

Thank Post
    id suggest devices like the kindle ipad etc are the printers of the future just send the document there and read on an e-ink screen for b&w or for something more complicated an ipad or similar

Thank Post
    id suggest devices like the kindle ipad etc are the printers of the future just send the document there and read on an e-ink screen for b&w or for something more complicated an ipad or similar
    I cant see it myself manufactures want to lock you into using data that is purchaced through themselves

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by runcmd View Post
    I cant see it myself manufactures want to lock you into using data that is purchaced through themselves
    not come across anything yet i cant print to an xps/pdf printer

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread