+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Zero Client Boxes in Technical; Really liking the look of this - DisplayLink: Virtual Graphics for Windows Multipoint Server 2010 Anyone know when HP is ...
    Thank Post

Zero Client Boxes

Really liking the look of this - DisplayLink: Virtual Graphics for Windows Multipoint Server 2010

Anyone know when HP is bringing them out?

My plan is to have something similar of a setup, not actually use the multipoint console, just a plain 2008r2 server setup with lots of usb for the client boxes to connect to, has the clients connect by rdp, so should work that way.

Yes I know we could use a citrix server, but I would perfere to use rdp (We do have do citrix servers, for students to work from home already) Would like two or three servers in each classroom for this to connect to (usb or ethernet into the server) This way the network would not slow down due to all the traffic, plus it would be faster.

Also one know of any other solutions? I like the look of the ncomputing one, but dont like it that it doesnt use rdp, use its own one which is not has good

School is complaining the amount of electric we are using, so this would sort it out, plus easier maintance on computer, head is wanting to upgrade 4 rooms has well, so this would save loads of money, if we can figure out something

Anyone good any ideas?

Needs to be done asap, Like I said, I like the look of the hp one, but have no idea when they are planning to bring them out

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You are putting allot of eggs into one basket. If it fails you will loose a large amount of machines.

Thank Post
    Yer thats true

But we all know that windows server software is more reliable than the normal operating system

One way to stop that happening i suppose, is to have a few spare ready to swap over if needed

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was more thinking along the hardware lines. The chances are the hardware will fail before the OS.

If you have spares it will cost abit. I shouldn't imagine these things come cheap.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I was more thinking along the hardware lines. The chances are the hardware will fail before the OS.

If you have spares it will cost abit. I shouldn't imagine these things come cheap.

But that's a similar problem to using terminal server.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    But that's a similar problem to using terminal server.
    The if you use thin clients it is good practice to have more than one TS in a farm so if one falls over you have other servers to fall back on.

Thank Post
    This is what a classroom of Zero Clients can look like.

Each client uses max 5w,
    boots in <5 seconds (direct to the server log on screen)
    - and apart from IP address of the server there is no "information" held in the terminal

Tidy Thin Client Installation

Thank Post
    UMM very tidy!

Possible to get it even tidier through, you could use screen with a zero client intergrated into it like the Samsung NC190

So only wires is, one power cable, keybord and mouse and ethernet cable

Question is should we wait for the hp t100 zero client which connect by usb using a displaylink chip and have about 3 computers in the classroom, so 10 users for about each computer

or get a pcoip box or the samsung intergrated screen and serveral server/blades in our server room and using wmvare

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    The if you use thin clients it is good practice to have more than one TS in a farm so if one falls over you have other servers to fall back on.

Thats the idea

Does wmware use the TS role?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post
    UMM very tidy!

Possible to get it even tidier through, you could use screen with a zero client intergrated into it like the Samsung NC190

So only wires is, one power cable, keyboard and mouse and ethernet cable
    We considered this but came to the conclusion the advantages of having a "flexible" solution outweighed the cable issue. Normally these devices are mounted on the rear of the monitor, so cables aren't an issue.

If you search Edugeek you will find some interesting comments on the Samsung devices

Question is should we wait for the hp t100 zero client which connect by usb using a displaylink chip and have about 3 computers in the classroom, so 10 users for about each computer

or get a pcoip box or the samsung intergrated screen and serveral server/blades in our server room and using wmvare
    It all depends what your motivations are:

If cost is no issue VDI may well be the best solution.

If up-time is not a primary concern maybe one of the above. (but ratio of 1:10 seems a little optimistic?)
    (I guess today's responsible kids know if they somehow nobble their PC they could bring a third of the class to a grinding halt they will be extra careful!)
    The majority of schools currently seem to happily run Terminal Services or Citrix - don't be too quick to discount these, Multi-media is not so bad on W2008 (comments ???) and these are tried and trusted technologies - with wide and flexible support

If multi-media is a main concern, Microsoft have yet to comment on which direction they will be taking - whatever they do will have massive implications, for both Microsoft compliant and Microsoft non-compliant solutions...

Thank Post
    suppose vmware would be more tricky and more confussing for users, has they will alos need to select a vdi image to use (Would this appear if they are only offered one?)

Has your one about 1:10, this computer would be pretty high powered, or was you thinking the oppsite way? saying I can put more users on it (That number was from the microsoft mutilpoint site, so just going by that tbh)

Is there any screens integrated with ica/citrix then out of intrest?, or can using TS just byitself any good? that would be easier i suppose, we alredy have two citrix servers for students and staff to connect from home

Thank Post
    Hi P-Dave,

If it would be useful we can send you a thin client to test. Connecting it to your Citrix servers would give you a pretty good feel for what thin clients are all about. Multi-media won't be quite the same as on a PC, but is adequate for many school MM applications. If the basic generic ICA is sufficient for your needs this will save youselves a lot of time and money...! Drop me a PM if you want to accept the loan offer.

VDI is a LOT more complex (and expensive) to set up. Our devices do support VMware and Citrix VDI offerings so we are "technology neutral', we have many schools using our devices on Terminal Services and Citrix - not so many on VDI !

There are very few (if any) comments on Edugeek about users actually using Virtual Desktop technology. If there are any users, and they read this, it would be great to hear their comments

My comment on 10:1 ratio was simply based on the view that normally one person uses one PC, if all of a sudden 10 people are piling onto it it is hard to imagine the performance not being effected somehow - but maybe I am wrong, it just seems to good to be true....

For terminal services W2008 is vastly improved for multi-media over W2003.
    Citrix provides good mm support on all versions - so if your Citrix is installed on W2003 - don't bother testing mm applications on RDP - use ICA....

The reason why we (and I suppose most other) manufacturers do not build our thin client hardware into monitors is that it limits choice - and effects reliability. Some schools require hard-glass monitors - some need very big, (special needs) monitors, or very cheap, or touch screen support, or built in speakers, or built in hubs, or re-cycle existing monitors etc etc. We appreciate no one likes cables - our compromise is to mount the device on the back of the monitor - which reduces cables - puts the device out of sight and keeps the desktop clear...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post
    Is there any screens integrated with ica/citrix then out of intrest?, or can using TS just byitself any good? that would be easier i suppose, we alredy have two citrix servers for students and staff to connect from home
    The Sun Ray 270 is a client with screen in one jobby. They had them 2009 edugeek stand i think. Looked nice, but dont know what they support.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    The Sun Ray 270 is a client with screen in one jobby. They had them 2009 edugeek stand i think. Looked nice, but dont know what they support.

They can paint just about anything. Citrix, VDI (XP, Vista and 7), TS, Linux.....

You need to have Sun Ray servers also so they are not stand alone devices.

Thank Post

zero client

Post edited due to unauthorised advertising - Dos_Box

Please note you cannot use the forums in a commercial capcity unless you are a sponsor or advertisor as per the AUP you agreed to on sign up. If you wish to sponsor or advertise please contact us on advertising@edugeek.net
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 12th July 2010 at 02:09 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread