+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, What's Wrong With This Printer? in Technical; Have a look at the attached and tell me what you think is wrong with the printer. None of the ...
    Thank Post

What's Wrong With This Printer?

Have a look at the attached and tell me what you think is wrong with the printer. None of the toners have been changed recently and print test pages come out fine as does text, it only seems to be photos which go funny.

The printer does have remanufactured toners in it (Office Basics ones from CP), but these have been in for longer than this problem has exhibited.

Any offers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    What sort of printer is it?

Thank Post
    is it for the HP 2600's??? we seem to be having a problem with a batch of the office basics ones for this printer! It could be the drum thats in the toner...they can just develop a problem like this half way throught the toner life!

Thank Post
    What happens if you direct connect from a laptop (for example) and print out a photo then?

Thank Post
    It is an HP Colour LaserJet 3600.

Haven't tried a direct connection to it - do you think that would make a difference?

Thank Post
    We had all sorts on problems when using cheapy toners at my last school. They didn't develop the instant the cheapy toner was used, but over time as the cheapy crap started to work it's way through the system.

At my current school we use only originals, and although they are dearer it works out to cost about the same with not having to fix/replace printers/drums/other parts etc.

I'm not saying this is the problem you are having - but there is a definate link between cheaper toners causing problems with printers.

Thank Post
    Print a demo page from the 3600s menu. Information menu if I recall and see if it does the same. It does look like it could be an imaging drum on one of the toners.

Shaun

Thank Post
    Try printing a document with large amounts of colour in it. The reason test pages and normal text are fine could be because the large amount of whitespace means the fuser doesn't get as hot as with colour photo's...

Sometimes when I test printers, I create a Word doc with the word "TEST" taking up the width of the page, with each letter the colour of the individual toner cartridges.

You could also try re-installing/updating/changing the driver. By changing I mean that usually you get PCL and PS versions of the driver, so try the other one instead.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    The printer does have remanufactured toners in it (Office Basics ones from CP), but these have been in for longer than this problem has exhibited.

Any offers?
    I think you've answered your own question there! Before you used remanufacured - printer was fine. Now you put in remanufactured...printer not fine?

Butuz

Thank Post
    I've seen a similar problem with the 3600s. Its often fixed by removing and replacing the 'formatter' board. Thats the one that the usb/network cables plug into, you remove it using the black tabs at the top and bottom.

David.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    I think you've answered your own question there! Before you used remanufacured - printer was fine. Now you put in remanufactured...printer not fine?
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too; I guess I just wanted a bit of backing before contacting the supplier and saying "your toners are bobbins".

If it put HP ones in now, will it recover or is the printer permanently stuffed?

Thank Post
    I would say, if it has only happened with this one set of toners...just try a new set of OB ones....they could just be faulty!! sometimes it happens, just like with the originals!

13. Thanks to Tcsltd from:

CPLTD (15th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,618 Times in 1,448 Posts
    If you put in new toners it will print fine as long as it is the toner thats causing the problem.

If it's the formatter board or HV power supply then changing the toners won't alter anything.

Ben

Thank Post
    We've had some issues with OB toners of late. Putting a fresh new set in has fixed our problems (for now), although it wasn't the same as the problem here.

The printers we use are cheap enough that it isn't worth paying full price for OEM toners. I can't say we have seen any permanent damage on our HP colour lasers from using office basics (or any other reman brand in the past).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcsltd View Post
    I would say, if it has only happened with this one set of toners...just try a new set of OB ones....they could just be faulty!! sometimes it happens, just like with the originals!
    So which toner is faulty?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread