+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Hardware Thread, NAS suggestions in Technical; ...
  1. #1

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,332
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    888

    NAS suggestions

    I am currently coming up with the future replacement for our current backup solution. At the moment we have a 3.5 year old Fujitsu Siemens FibreCat system with 1TB of space - which is starting to creek under the strain.

    So, my replacement idea is that due to the way our data storage needs are growing exponentially, the backup solution should be expandable.

    My first idea is to look at an Overland Storage Snap Server 620 with an empty JBOD, ready for expansion. Initial storage would be 3TB, expandable within that JBOD to 15TB and upto 88TB if we go crazy at some point through further JBODS. This comes in at around £4 -£4.5k.

    Has anyone got any other suggestions?

  2. #2
    AIT
    AIT is offline
    AIT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    369
    Thank Post
    46
    Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I am currently coming up with the future replacement for our current backup solution. At the moment we have a 3.5 year old Fujitsu Siemens FibreCat system with 1TB of space - which is starting to creek under the strain.

    So, my replacement idea is that due to the way our data storage needs are growing exponentially, the backup solution should be expandable.

    My first idea is to look at an Overland Storage Snap Server 620 with an empty JBOD, ready for expansion. Initial storage would be 3TB, expandable within that JBOD to 15TB and upto 88TB if we go crazy at some point through further JBODS. This comes in at around £4 -£4.5k.

    Has anyone got any other suggestions?
    Build your own server and use open-source OpenFiler. We spent 4k and now have 28TB of storage.

  3. #3
    Cools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    498
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    have a look at
    Data Robotics, Inc.

    not cheap but looks good and is super cleaver..

  4. Thanks to Cools from:

    localzuk (10th February 2010)

  5. #4

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,332
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    888
    Ok, need to clarify - we don't build our own servers here for critical systems, as we have to have someone to shout at should it break, rather than it entirely being our fault.

  6. #5
    Cools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    498
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    DroBo. if you cant take the blame... lol.

    for every one else..
    Poor mans Drobo with Free NAS.. >> Learn FreeNAS Drobo BeyondRaid Like Redundancy and Expansion with FreeNAS

  7. #6

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,332
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    888
    That Drobo looks brilliant. Ideal actually!!

  8. #7

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,977
    Thank Post
    3,525
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Rep Power
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by AIT View Post
    Build your own server and use open-source OpenFiler. We spent 4k and now have 28TB of storage.
    I was going to suggest that - as long as the hardware you buy in for RAID card is a decent make ( reviews etc ) and hard drives obviously are of RAID standard then you shouldn't have any issues.

  9. #8
    ranj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    732
    Thank Post
    100
    Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    My first idea is to look at an Overland Storage Snap Server 620 with an empty JBOD, ready for expansion. Initial storage would be 3TB, expandable within that JBOD to 15TB and upto 88TB if we go crazy at some point through further JBODS. This comes in at around £4 -£4.5k.

    Has anyone got any other suggestions?
    We use it's predessor the overland snap 520 and can highly recommend it, we also use have a freenas box but the snap is far better in terms of management and scalability IMO.

    We have had our box for 3 years and touch wood not had a single hard ware issue with it, I can't say that on the software side though but to be fair to overland their support is very good, I think they are based somewhere in Europe.

  10. #9
    cookie_monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    4,217
    Thank Post
    394
    Thanked 278 Times in 239 Posts
    Rep Power
    75
    Anyone used a Drobo unit?

    Am I right that it could act as a standalone unit (e.g. CIFS shares) or I could hang one off the back of a Windows server attach it via USB or iSCSI then use FSRM to manage file exts and so on?


    I think this page answers my question. I could connect it via iSCSI to several servers. Very handy looking box

    http://www.drobo.com/resources/iscsi.php


    I wonder what sort of price... (crosses fingers)
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 10th February 2010 at 02:28 PM.

  11. #10

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,332
    Thank Post
    525
    Thanked 2,596 Times in 2,014 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    888
    Quote Originally Posted by ranj View Post
    We use it's predessor the overland snap 520 and can highly recommend it, we also use have a freenas box but the snap is far better in terms of management and scalability IMO.

    We have had our box for 3 years and touch wood not had a single hard ware issue with it, I can't say that on the software side though but to be fair to overland their support is very good, I think they are based somewhere in Europe.
    Indeed, our file server currently uses a 520 as its ISCSI drive. Not had a single glitch in 3 years. *Touches wood*.

  12. #11
    Cools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    498
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    im still wating on the 1st 1.2 PB Drive.. on some BB might be with us 2011.. lol Yeh Right..
    any how.. Some maths.. remember do it the old fashion way.. abacus at the ready..

    How long will it take to fill it?
    i make it ...

    (1.2 * 1024 * 1024 * 1024) / 45
    = 28633115 seconds to fill it
    = 477218 minutes
    = 7953 hours
    = 331 days

    current hds store data @ +/- 40-45MB/s

  13. #12
    Cools's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    498
    Thank Post
    24
    Thanked 62 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    25
    Also have a look at Netgrar Ready NAS NVX
    i has Dule gig nic. for super fast speed or redundancy..

    Vid: YouTube - Jesuits - gadget 118 - Netgear ReadyNAS NVX

  14. #13


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,414
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    149
    Have a look at anything with ZFS; zpools and deduplication is seriously in this year

    Heres one based on Ubuntu but with all the goodness of Opensolaris Nexenta Systems

  15. #14


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Ok, need to clarify - we don't build our own servers here for critical systems, as we have to have someone to shout at should it break, rather than it entirely being our fault.
    I build you one, you can shout at me all you like

  16. #15
    richardp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    North Yorkshire
    Posts
    131
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 25 Times in 25 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    I use a DroboPro with 5.4Tb of available space and room for 4 more drives when I need it. It can only be accessed through a server no matter how you connect it (iSCSI/Firewire/USB). Using iSCSI you can plug it into a switch (should be a dedicated one really) but still have to "attach" it to a server for access. It handles the raid setup all you have to do is decide if you want 1 or 2 drive redundancy (tick box) and how you want to format the available space (dependent on host operating system). I have it attached to a Windows 2003 server and use BackupExec 12.5 to perform backups. Works really well and could even be considered as a cheap main storage solution if the performance is acceptable for your setup. It cost me approx £850 for the chassis then approx £600 for 4 drives (2Tb Western Digital), so a grand total of £1500. The drives do not have to be the same size or make / model but you get more immediate space available if they are similar sizes.

    Richard

  17. Thanks to richardp from:

    cookie_monster (11th February 2010)



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. nas required - any suggestions?
    By Avalon in forum Hardware
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24th February 2009, 04:27 PM
  2. NAS
    By FN-GM in forum Hardware
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20th January 2009, 01:26 PM
  3. NAS - anyone using it?
    By pmassingham in forum Hardware
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22nd May 2008, 03:26 PM
  4. Nas to Nas Mirror
    By ICTNUT in forum Windows
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 20th May 2008, 11:09 AM
  5. NAS
    By ranj in forum General Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 22nd April 2008, 07:56 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •