+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, DVD/RW drive being recognised as a CD-ROM in Technical; As the title says, I have some laptops in the school where the DVD-RW drive in them is recognised by ...

Thank Post

DVD/RW drive being recognised as a CD-ROM

As the title says, I have some laptops in the school where the DVD-RW drive in them is recognised by Windows XP as a CD-ROM drive. Because of this it won't play DVDs properly. It still reads the disc, but insted of recognising it as a DVD movie, it just lists the folders on the disc instead and just makes the whole machine lag badly.

Causing me a big headache at the moment, anyone got any ideas? Googling has produced no conclusive solution although several people have reported the same issues.

Regards

Mike.

richard_s
    Got a Toshiba Laptop on the bench with the same problem but have no luck with it as of yet

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS40 - VANISHED!!!

upper and lower filters

Then install latest chipset / sata / ide drivers then from there get vlc or windows media player classic and try again

4. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

maniac (9th February 2010)

richard_s
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post

upper and lower filters

Then install latest chipset / sata / ide drivers then from there get vlc or windows media player classic and try again
    That is a different issue to the one I am having. The drive is there but it will not read DVD movies, it sees the file structure just fine. It reads data disc's with no issues but won't burn them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_s View Post
    That is a different issue to the one I am having. The drive is there but it will not read DVD movies, it sees the file structure just fine. It reads data disc's with no issues but won't burn them.
    I would un install all burning software ( what burning application(s) are you using or trying to use ? )

Then do the above and then try and burn or playback a movie.

With ref to burning may be worth while installing latest adaptec aspi drivers

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspi[/ame]

and trying burning software again.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/downloa...s+ASPI+Package
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 9th February 2010 at 03:58 PM.

richard_s
    There is no burning software installed apart from XP's built in software.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by richard_s View Post
    There is no burning software installed apart from XP's built in software.
    try dedicated burning software ie nero or xp burning se ( CDBurnerXP: Introduction and News )

that or deep burner and is it still the same ?

Im not keen on letting windows do the burning side of things
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 9th February 2010 at 04:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,448 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would still try this. To me it sounds like a driver issue. The other poster also had driver issues so that might sort it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    As the title says, I have some laptops in the school where the DVD-RW drive in them is recognised by Windows XP as a CD-ROM drive. Because of this it won't play DVDs properly. It still reads the disc, but insted of recognising it as a DVD movie, it just lists the folders on the disc instead and just makes the whole machine lag badly.

Causing me a big headache at the moment, anyone got any ideas? Googling has produced no conclusive solution although several people have reported the same issues.

Regards

Mike.
    I could be barking up the wrong bush here , but I vaguely recall having an issue similar to this, and it was todo with the mode that the ide channel was in.
    See if it is set to PIO and change to UDMA 5 or the like. That should sort your lag if nothing else.

11. Thanks to Craggus2000 from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Craggus2000 View Post
    I could be barking up the wrong bush here , but I vaguely recall having an issue similar to this, and it was todo with the mode that the ide channel was in.
    See if it is set to PIO and change to UDMA 5 or the like. That should sort your lag if nothing else.
    If you go into device manager and go to the primary and secondary ide controllers then you can go to the advanced settings and make sure its set to use DMA or UDMA as apposed to pio

Enable DMA mode in Windows XP

13. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post

upper and lower filters

Well tried this, and it didn't work - was no reference to upper or lower filters in that registry key anywhere

further investigation and I discovered it only complains with DVD movies, when you first start the machine it says DVD RAM drive, but as soon as you put a DVD film in, it complains like hell, won't play it properly and when you eject the disc it says CD-ROM drive after that - very odd.

I then found an updated firmware for the DVD drive on Dells site which I downloaded and applied - still no change

Then I looked for an updated chipset driver, we already have the latest one but just incase I re-installed it and deleted the hardware again so it re-installed - no change.

@Craggus2000 - I'll try that tomorrow - hadn't thought of doing that so we'll see if it makes any difference.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I would still try this. To me it sounds like a driver issue. The other poster also had driver issues so that might sort it.
    i agree though to remove upper and lower filters as per the prior thread and rebbot obviously then install latest drivers relating to chipset so inc sata and or ide and then try again with either burning software as I dont trust the intergrated windows xp burning or with video playback software ie vlc media player or windows media player classic.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Well tried this, and it didn't work - was no reference to upper or lower filters in that registry key anywhere

further investigation and I discovered it only complains with DVD movies, when you first start the machine it says DVD RAM drive, but as soon as you put a DVD film in, it complains like hell, won't play it properly and when you eject the disc it says CD-ROM drive after that - very odd.

I then found an updated firmware for the DVD drive on Dells site which I downloaded and applied - still no change

Then I looked for an updated chipset driver, we already have the latest one but just incase I re-installed it and deleted the hardware again so it re-installed - no change.

@Craggus2000 - I'll try that tomorrow - hadn't thought of doing that so we'll see if it makes any difference.

Mike.
    Get the nero info tool utility ( free ) and run that - should tell you what formats the drive supports

Nero - Tools & Utilities

seeing as its reporting as a dvd ram drive - what player are you using to try and play the dvd videos ?

17. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

Thank Post
    Get the nero info tool utility ( free ) and run that - should tell you what formats the drive supports

Nero - Tools & Utilities

seeing as its reporting as a dvd ram drive - what player are you using to try and play the dvd videos ?
    Media player won't play them, and VLC will play them, but only if you open the software and force it to open the disc and it takes a long time to do this. There's no right hand click options for playing the disc like there's should be and no automatic popup 'Play with . . . ' dialogue which is what I rely on coming up for DVDs as that's how we tell the staff to play them. It just doesn't recognise it as a DVD movie in windows, just reads it as a normal data disc.

Mike.

Thank Post
    with no discs inserted into the laptop and the drive closed if you go to the properties of the drive I think you should have an option there to configure how you want it to react when a dvd movie or audio disc(s) are inserted into the drive and you should be able to get it to prompt the user to play with media player x, y or z or w/e so they can select vlc or power dvd or w/e - have you got a laptop of the same make / model with a different dvd drive ( whether dvd rom or dvd rw or w/e )

edited

If you dont have a dvd decoder installed ( these are normally installed when you install dvd software players such as win dvd / power dvd ) then normal windows media player can't playback dvd's where as vlc / windows media player classic etc already have one inbuilt ( although am not sure to the legality of using these across a school due to the use of libdvdcss or the likes )

http://www.videolan.org/developers/libdvdcss.html

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/howto-22.html

1. Select Start > Run
    2. Enter cmd in the Open box, and click OK
    3. Type dvdupgrd /detect and press Enter
    4. A Windows dialog box will open with identifying information about the installed software. If No decoders found is displayed, no decoder is installed
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 9th February 2010 at 06:41 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast