+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, DVD/RW drive being recognised as a CD-ROM in Technical; Originally Posted by mac_shinobi with no discs inserted into the laptop and the drive closed if you go to the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    with no discs inserted into the laptop and the drive closed if you go to the properties of the drive I think you should have an option there to configure how you want it to react when a dvd movie or audio disc(s) are inserted into the drive and you should be able to get it to prompt the user to play with media player x, y or z or w/e so they can select vlc or power dvd or w/e - have you got a laptop of the same make / model with a different dvd drive ( whether dvd rom or dvd rw or w/e )

edited

If you dont have a dvd decoder installed ( these are normally installed when you install dvd software players such as win dvd / power dvd ) then normal windows media player can't playback dvd's where as vlc / windows media player classic etc already have one inbuilt ( although am not sure to the legality of using these across a school due to the use of libdvdcss or the likes )

VideoLAN developers - libdvdcss

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

How to Check if DVD Decoder Software is Installed - HelpWithWindows.com
    All of the laptops have the right Codecs etc. on them, and the drive is already set to come up with a list on insertion of a DVD movie as some teachers prefer Media player, others like VLC so I like to give them the option - the problem is the laptop is not reading the disc as a movie, it's reading it as a data disc and lets you browse it's contents by double clicking it which movie discs normally won't. Our other staff laptops play DVDs fine with the same software installed, although each model was built from the ground up they all had the same treatment and I double checked every single build myself before we took the images so it's identical to our other builds which work fine.

I've not had anyone else report this particular problem yet, although there's only 10 of this particular model of laptop in use and a majority of them are with admin staff so there's every chance the same problem exists on them all, just no one else has tried playing a DVD movie yet!

I'm going to look into it further tomorrow, I just ran out of time today.

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 9th February 2010 at 07:49 PM.

2. Thanks to maniac from:

mac_shinobi (9th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,095 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    All of the laptops have the right Codecs etc. on them, and the drive is already set to come up with a list on insertion of a DVD movie as some teachers prefer Media player, others like VLC so I like to give them the option - the problem is the laptop is not reading the disc as a movie, it's reading it as a data disc and lets you browse it's contents by double clicking it which movie discs normally won't. Our other staff laptops play DVDs fine with the same software installed, although each model was built from the ground up they all had the same treatment and I double checked every single build myself before we took the images so it's identical to our other builds which work fine.

I've not had anyone else report this particular problem yet, although there's only 10 of this particular model of laptop in use and a majority of them are with admin staff so there's every chance the same problem exists on them all, just no one else has tried playing a DVD movie yet!

I'm going to look into it further tomorrow, I just ran out of time today.

Mike.
    would be good to know how you get on even if its a pm , cheers

Thank Post
    would be good to know how you get on even if its a pm , cheers
    I'll update this thread if/when I find out what the problem actually is.

Thank Post
    OK, this issue is much more widespread than I thought - it's affecting a lot of our staff laptops, but seemingly not all.

This occured on a Dell D530 earlier.

Call - Can't play DVD on Laptop.

Attend call, and find it's the same issue, so I spent about half an hour fiddling around and trying some of the suggestions, and it made no difference, but I did notice the following.

If the laptop is booted with the DVD in the drive, then it starts up fine, and recognises the DVD as normal, as per the screen dump below.

Then I ejected it, nothing wrong here recognises it as a DVD / CDRW drive which is correct for this laptop.

Put the disc back in and this happens

and take it out again and this happens

This squence of events happens in the same way on any machine that's suffering from it.

I've un-installed CDburnerXP which we had on all the laptops to see if it made any difference, and just in case also un-installed the Klite codec pack which we also had installed

No difference.

I'm running out of options - next I'm going to have to re-build my staff build from scratch to see if I can work out where it's gone wrong.

Anyone got any further suggestions?

Mike.

Thank Post
    OK, this issue is much more widespread than I thought - it's affecting a lot of our staff laptops, but seemingly not all.

This occured on a Dell D530 earlier.

Call - Can't play DVD on Laptop.

Attend call, and find it's the same issue, so I spent about half an hour fiddling around and trying some of the suggestions, and it made no difference, but I did notice the following.

If the laptop is booted with the DVD in the drive, then it starts up fine, and recognises the DVD as normal, as per the screen dump below.

Then I ejected it, nothing wrong here recognises it as a DVD / CDRW drive which is correct for this laptop.

Put the disc back in and this happens

and take it out again and this happens

This squence of events happens in the same way on any machine that's suffering from it.

I've un-installed CDburnerXP which we had on all the laptops to see if it made any difference, and just in case also un-installed the Klite codec pack which we also had installed

No difference.

I'm running out of options - next I'm going to have to re-build my staff build from scratch to see if I can work out where it's gone wrong.

Mike.
    I had this on a desktop some time ago and it turned out to be the wrong ide / chipset driver so not sure if you can use siw to find out what motherboard it has exactly and maybe try a different chipset driver - assuming you forced it to dma on the controllers etc.

On one of the laptops if you use a windows xp disc and install windows xp with drivers for motherboard / chipset etc does the dvd drive work ok now or is it still the same ?

7. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

maniac (10th February 2010)

Thank Post
    I had this on a desktop some time ago and it turned out to be the wrong ide / chipset driver so not sure if you can use siw to find out what motherboard it has exactly and maybe try a different chipset driver - assuming you forced it to dma on the controllers etc.

On one of the laptops if you use a windows xp disc and install windows xp with drivers for motherboard / chipset etc does the dvd drive work ok now or is it still the same ?
    It's definitely using the right chipset driver, I've already checked this. The laptop builds were all done independently of each other for each model, and this problem is affecting more than one different model - the first one I discovered was a much newer E5500 Dell laptop, the one pictured above is an 18month old Dell D530 both with exactly the same problem.

I'm going to build one from scratch during Halfterm and then do our build process one program at a time and see if I can work out at what point it goes wrong.

Cheers for your help

Mike.

Thank Post
    It's definitely using the right chipset driver, I've already checked this. The laptop builds were all done independently of each other for each model, and this problem is affecting more than one different model - the first one I discovered was a much newer E5500 Dell laptop, the one pictured above is an 18month old Dell D530 both with exactly the same problem.

I'm going to build one from scratch during Halfterm and then do our build process one program at a time and see if I can work out at what point it goes wrong.

Cheers for your help

Mike.
    just wondering what utils are loaded in the system tray and also do you have the intel matrix storage util / app installed ?

Thank Post
    just wondering what utils are loaded in the system tray and also do you have the intel matrix storage util / app installed ?
    I never install the actual programs, (like wireless management utilities etc) I only install the drivers and do away with the extra programs, therefore it probably won't have the storage management utility on it - do you think that will make a difference?

In the system tray you have the network icons, Fog service, Volume, Truecrypt, Lanschool Teachers console, Updates and eject hardware icon and Promethean whiteboard tray icon. All our laptops are identical in this.
    Last edited by maniac; 10th February 2010 at 07:30 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,839 Times in 2,096 Posts
    I had almost exactly the same issue last week while I was testing the VLC Media Player package I am currently working on. In my particular case it was because the registry value shown below was set incorrectly.

To play DVDs in Windows Media Player by default you should set the default value in the 'HKCR\DVD\Shell' key to...

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DVD\Shell]
    @="Play"
    If you would like VLC Media Player to be the default, you need to use this value instead...

Code:

@="PlayWithVLC"
    Obviously VLC needs to be installed first for the second example to work.

Failing that though, Microsoft's AutoPlay Repair Wizard might be worth a try. Run this, install your media player(s) of choice and then play a DVD.
    Last edited by Arthur; 11th February 2010 at 02:59 AM.

12. Thanks to Arthur from:

maniac (11th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I had almost exactly the same issue last week while I was testing the VLC Media Player package I am currently working on. In my particular case it was because the registry value shown below was set incorrectly.

To play DVDs in Windows Media Player by default you should set the default value in the 'HKCR\DVD\Shell' key to...

Code:

@="Play"
    If you would like VLC Media Player to be the default, you need to use this value instead...

Code:

@="PlayWithVLC"
    Obviously VLC needs to be installed first for the second example to work.

Failing that though, Microsoft's AutoPlay Repair Wizard might be worth a try. Run this, install your media player(s) of choice and then play a DVD.
    I will try this, but I think it's a much more deep problem than just autoplay being messed up, the laptop just doesn't recognise the disc properly in the first place so treats it as a data disc and brings up the contents of the disc in a folder, which is what autoplay is set to do for data discs.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Solved this in the end, purely by chance.

Basically I ran a restore on the security settings of the affected machine by using the command

Code:
    secedit /configure /cfg %windir%\repair\secsetup.inf /db secsetup.sdb /verbose
    Which put right whatever was wrong. I was origenally trying to solve another problem, but it's also solved this one as well - bonus!

Still have no idea what caused the problem in the first place, but at lease I can fix it now!

Mike.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12