+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, DVIi or DVId in Technical; Before I go and order 25 cables for out new dual displays I need to know what type to get ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

DVIi or DVId

Before I go and order 25 cables for out new dual displays I need to know what type to get - the manual for the displays is as good as toilet paper......
    I am thinking of DVI D to DVI D as I want to avoid using DVI to VGA converters.
    So in the end I will have two displays for each computer one using VGA and one using DVI - similar to what I have for myself but I can't remember for the love of god what DVI cable I am using....Or shall I play it safe and get DVI I to DVI I cables which I think support both ?

Jeeeeeez - what ever happened to standards eh ?

Thank Post
    Here's a quick image guide for this so you can confirm.

http://www.logicsupply.com/images/dv...ctor_types.gif

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends on the GPUs and moniters, ideally if you have moniters with DVI ports then you want to use DVI connections, in that case DVI-Digital. For the second moniter ideally your GPU will have a second DVI port avalible and so you would want a second DVI-D cable. The only reason to go with a DVI-I cable would be if you wanted to use a DVI to VGA adapter at the end of the cable.

This of course changes slightly if your GPUs have dual DVI, you would want a dual DVI to two DVI adapter then two DVI-D cables.

If your GPU has one DVI and one analogue port then you would want one DVI-D and one analogue (VGA) cable.

DVI-D only carries the Digital signal
    DVI-I carries both the digital signal and the downlevel analogue signal (as long ad the GPU outputs at DVI-I)
    VGA is just the analogue downlevel signal

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information