+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Sun 7110 disk and network load in Technical; 14801 Disk IOPS: Not bad I've only seen upto 146M on the NIC this month. This image is on Sky ...
    Thank Post
    14801 Disk IOPS: Not bad

I've only seen upto 146M on the NIC this month.

This image is on Sky Drive I can see it maybe it's filtered at your end.

http://tbgrfq.bay.livefilestore.com/...vohrM/7110.jpg
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 5th February 2010 at 10:22 AM.

2. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

Duke (5th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Yeah, it was getting filtered by our ISP. Just had a look and it seems healthy enough.

Does the 7110 have the SSD accelerators? If not then that's probably why my disk usage looks comparatively lower, the SSDs buffer everything and only hit the HDDs about once every 30 seconds.

I'm still waiting on the SAS trays. SSD + SAS should equal awesome Exchange and SQL performance.

Chris

Thank Post
    No i'm pretty sure the 7110 doesn't have SSD accelerators

Thank Post
    No SSD's for the 7110 unfortunately . Hoping that my budget plans for next year get accepted and we can start looking at a 7310/7410

Thank Post
    They do make a big difference. I've had companies in for server virtualisation planning and they've seen the Sun box and gone "ohh, not sure if your SATA disks will be up to the job...", then they've seen the IOPS you get with the SSDs and gone "oh, er, never mind!".

Good times, the S7000 is still the best product I've seen in a long time.

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    They do make a big difference. I've had companies in for server virtualisation planning and they've seen the Sun box and gone "ohh, not sure if your SATA disks will be up to the job...", then they've seen the IOPS you get with the SSDs and gone "oh, er, never mind!".

Good times, the S7000 is still the best product I've seen in a long time.

Chris

I couldn't agree more when the bottom of the range box (7110) gives that kind of performance and feature set you know you're onto a strong product line.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I couldn't agree more when the bottom of the range box (7110) gives that kind of performance and feature set you know you're onto a strong product line.
    Agreed, just starting to firm up my plans for my new network setup with all virtualised servers Going to have, in the end, 4 Sun Servers running Citrix (98% decided on that now) Xen Server as hosts with dual quad core CPUs and bags of ram each with the VMs stored on my 7110.

Loving the product range wouldn't swap it for anything

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Agreed, just starting to firm up my plans for my new network setup with all virtualised servers Going to have, in the end, 4 Sun Servers running Citrix (98% decided on that now) Xen Server as hosts with dual quad core CPUs and bags of ram each with the VMs stored on my 7110.

We currently have 8 VM's running on 2 x4150s (Xenserver 5.5) with the VHDs on the 7110, 2 x DC's, 3 x File Servers, Web/Print/WSUS server, Citrix Gateway, and a Citrix box our other 4 Citrix servers are currently on three other boxes 2 physical and 2 VMs on a standalone Xenserver. It all seems to run very well

When I get time I think i'll move from iSCSI to NFS that will probably be the summer now when we get a new core switch to layer 3 the whole network.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post

That's our exact setup here . It's a bit of a shame that Sun don't have better support for Citrix but ohh well .

I did find one interesting problem with XenServer NFS connecting through to our 7110. Without a DNS server setup on the storage network the 7110 seemed to hang and then not respond to the NFS connection query. Found the DNS solution on the OpenSolaris or Sun storage forums (can't remember which now!), so setup a Linux VM running Bind using the HD storage on one of our servers. Stuck in the DNS and reverse DNS info for the servers and 7110 and it worked first time

Thank Post
    I had been thinking that my IOPS were a bit high, but, seeing this they look right in line.

I've got my 7110 hosting 2 Xenserver hosts which run;
    AD
    Exchange 2k7
    Sharepoint
    Desktop Authority
    WSUS
    TS (minimal usage)
    Spiceworks
    Symantec AV
    Web server
    Fog
    OCS Inventory
    Blood Glucose monitoring

I'm also running my SQL backups to an iSCSI LUN. I was running my user and group file backups to it before the MS iSCSI Initiator on my file server decided to wet the bed and not work any longer.

I've got the 7110's 4 NICs split into to 3+1. 3 via LACP to my Procurve 2824 using LACP for SAN traffic and the other to my corp stack of procuves. I am planning on adding another 4 port NIC to up the bandwidth for both links. Add in another SAN switch with 3 LACP trunk to each swith and a pair to the corp net.

Here is my pretty graph;

Things are pretty quiet here in this shot. If I catch it running hotter I'll update the post.
    Last edited by SLMHC; 17th February 2010 at 09:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Looks pretty good to me considering what you've got running on it. That last server entry really threw me until I noticed where you work!

Thank Post
    Yup, I'm in health care.

Thank Post
    @ SLMHC: how is your Xenserver networking setup? I know that Xenserver doesn't support LACP but you can bond NICs.

If I run through how mine is setup maybe we can compare notes.

I have three cards on my 7110 in an LACP link that go into a HP2910al switch, until today I didn't have flow control turned on on the ports carrying iSCSI traffic but I've read recently that that's more important than jumbo frames. I'll see how that goes.

On the Xenservers I've got 2 NIC's bonded that can see the 7110 carrying iSCSI traffic and 2 NIC's that the general network sees to connect to my Windows VM's. I've not configured any special settings on the HP switch to accommodate these NIC bonds as I've read that it's not necessary (not quite sure).

All on my iSCSI traffic is on the same switch VLAN separated from all other traffic.

1. Do you just use single NIC's on your Xenservers or are you using NIC bonds as well?

2. Do you have flow control enabled on your HP switch ports that carry iSCSI traffic?

I picked up the flow control vs jumbo frames info here.

http://searchnetworkingchannel.techt...255870,00.html

Cheers.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 17th February 2010 at 05:06 PM.

Thank Post
    My hosts are running off an IBM Bladecentre H chassis using HS22 blades with the expansion NIC in them. On the Bladecentre I have 4 Nortel 6 port layer2/3 switches. I read that the Nortel switches can just be fully utilized to get the best throughput, so I have 2 switches each for my corp and SAN (12 port total to each).

Looks like I have no flow control setup on the 2824. I haven't read the article yet, but, are they saying that flow control will provide better performance than just using jumbo frames? Since XenServer doesn't support jumbo frames I hadn't turned them on in the 7110 or 2824.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12