+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Memory Stick Data recovery ? in Technical; Just had a teacher come to us last friday afternoon and wanted some data retrieved from her memory stick that ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts

Memory Stick Data recovery ?

Just had a teacher come to us last friday afternoon and wanted some data retrieved from her memory stick that was about to die at first it kept flashing in my computer and appearing and disappearing every second, had to reboot it to let windows install drivers.

It managed to copy most of it except one file from what I am aware but was just curious if anyone had any extra info regarding the best way of retrieving files / data from a memory stick that is failing or on the virge of failing ?

Thanks

Thank Post

Re: Memory Stick Data recovery ?

You will need some recovery software for that. There are some suggestions in a recent post here

Thank Post

Found testdisk on that url, looks good :

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Think I will have to download those and slap them on my shuffle

Thank Post

Just thought, you know with hard drives that are about to die , not sure if its true or not but ive heard you can put it into a sandwhich bag ( zip locked ) and put it into the freezer for some time and then use it again to get the data off of it.

Is that true and also would that work for a memory stick considering they use memory chips and its not magnetic etc.

just a thought

Thank Post

I look at them all caring like and say.... do you have a backup of this Flash Drive ?

If they say no.. I put the flash drive in and see if it works or not.. if not I say .. sorry you should have backed it up... its dead and chuck it in the bin....

and then get back to the other 50 billion more important jobs I have to do before lunch...

we only give staff 128 or 256mb data sticks to stop them putting too much on them and losing ALL thier work..

Or biggest issue now is staff dumping their full 512mb disks on the servers and not checking before they dump more 512mb sticks onto the server and duplicating the backups...

Thank Post

thats fair enough and a good point

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by gecko
    Just thought, you know with hard drives that are about to die , not sure if its true or not but ive heard you can put it into a sandwhich bag ( zip locked ) and put it into the freezer for some time and then use it again to get the data off of it.

Is that true and also would that work for a memory stick considering they use memory chips and its not magnetic etc.

just a thought
    what freezing/chilling does is to make the disks to contract and create a little more space for movement. it sometimes works, it sometimes doesn't

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Or biggest issue now is staff dumping their full 512mb disks on the servers and not checking before they dump more 512mb sticks onto the server and duplicating the backups...
    Quotas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

I have used the freezer method, and works well, and WDC don't even notice when I return it to them, they are funny when defrosting though, they start dripping water down them, and be careful you can get your hand stuck on them

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit
    I look at them all caring like and say.... do you have a backup of this Flash Drive ?

If they say no.. I put the flash drive in and see if it works or not.. if not I say .. sorry you should have backed it up... its dead and chuck it in the bin....

and then get back to the other 50 billion more important jobs I have to do before lunch...

we only give staff 128 or 256mb data sticks to stop them putting too much on them and losing ALL thier work..

My sentiments exactly. BTW- as Geoff said, quotas are good for making sure user areas are limited or that the administrator is warned about people misusing storage on servers. If you use Server 2003 R2, the new File Server Resource Manager snap-in tool has great reporting features that let you run a report on user areas and detail file sizes and total space used...I ran one last week and found a few surprises!

Paul :-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Grommit

A good feature of R2 is the storage reports. You can schedule them to run and email the user the report specificially pointing out the duplicate files. You can change the template of the message as well explain it better to them.

Edit sorry missed the post above me but I went into a bit more detail about automation and getting the users to tidy up after themselves :P

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko

just a thought
    what freezing/chilling does is to make the disks to contract and create a little more space for movement. it sometimes works, it sometimes doesn't
    Are there any other tricks or tips like that which would also help ?

Aside from obviously making back ups ( Golden rule # 1 obviously )

Thank Post

Errmmmm...yeah...make sure you have a ghost image of the HDD and just restore it to its former glory. That way you don't spend two hours on a job just looking for scripts and stuff trying to fix the issue and get on with some real work...hehehehe...

Thank Post

Of course for memory sticks you could use this:

http://www.brothersoft.com/utilities...ery_46681.html

But it does mean spending money. And I know you are loathe to do that. It *is* only around $40. Peanuts really. And no. The school won't buy it for you ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

And no. The school won't buy it for you
    Well in thats case it's not a solution then is it?

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast