+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Memory Stick Data recovery ? in Technical; Originally Posted by kingswood Errmmmm...yeah...make sure you have a ghost image of the HDD and just restore it to its ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts

Re: Memory Stick Data recovery ?

Quote Originally Posted by kingswood
    Errmmmm...yeah...make sure you have a ghost image of the HDD and just restore it to its former glory. That way you don't spend two hours on a job just looking for scripts and stuff trying to fix the issue and get on with some real work...hehehehe...
    We are going to get them to use ghost and make an image of there memory stick(s) ?

Thank Post

Why would that be?

It's a piece of shareware. We get around two requests for USB memory stick restores in any given year. We *cannot* spend 30 minutes recovering one special file that should have been backed up to a network drive, when we should be taking that time and using it more productively. Staff *know* that we can only restore files they have backed up to network drives. In the example Shane gave it was simply a case of rebooting the system after USB drivers were installed so that the stick could be mounted properly. It took five minutes. The member of staff in question *knew* policy and when asked said that she had backed up most of the files on the stick anyway. It was just that she needed the stick home with her...

Long story short: no. The school will not buy the utility. $40 shareware application from an American "supplier". Doesn't sound good for the auditors now, does it?

But *I* am going to buy it so that we have it for use. That's where you jumped the gun.

I'm not unreasonable- I just don't like people assuming too much. If it were left to Shane we would be buying tons of scripting utilities and little applications that can end up making spaghetti out of what should be a simple job (and Shane knows my sense of humour ;-)

Thanks ;-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by gecko
    Errmmmm...yeah...make sure you have a ghost image of the HDD and just restore it to its former glory. That way you don't spend two hours on a job just looking for scripts and stuff trying to fix the issue and get on with some real work...hehehehe...
    We are going to get them to use ghost and make an image of there memory stick(s) ?
    Prat.

Read the responses I gave. One after the other. Slowly.

Thank Post

I see grommit made a comment about quotas and users dumping there memory sticks onto the server and duplicating backups and I've read the rest of it and I am obviously missing something here as I still don't get how ghost comes into it but ok

I do however agree with you on backing up to the network and also I wasn't expecting the school to pay for it.

As for the question that I asked part of it was --> "curious if anyone had any extra info regarding the best way of retrieving files / data from a memory stick that is failing or on the virge of failing ?"

I was thinking more along the lines of someone maybe suggesting to use a linux live disc so that windows doesn't try and write to or from the usb memory stick or just some articles that briefly describe some good practises when doing data recovery and stuff like that.

I wasn't really interested in use x, y, z pieces of software, although that test disk piece of software that is open source looks interesting :

www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

LOL @ the scripting thing

"I'm not unreasonable- I just don't like people assuming too much. If it were left to Shane we would be buying tons of scripting utilities and little applications that can end up making spaghetti out of what should be a simple job (and Shane knows my sense of humour"

You being un reasonable never crossed my mind !

Thank Post

bad copy pro is a good program to recover data

Thank Post

I see grommit made a comment about quotas and users dumping there memory sticks onto the server and duplicating backups and I've read the rest of it and I am obviously missing something here as I still don't get how ghost comes into it but ok

I do however agree with you on backing up to the network and also I wasn't expecting the school to pay for it.

As for the question that I asked part of it was --> "curious if anyone had any extra info regarding the best way of retrieving files / data from a memory stick that is failing or on the virge of failing ?"

I was thinking more along the lines of someone maybe suggesting to use a linux live disc so that windows doesn't try and write to or from the usb memory stick or just some articles that briefly describe some good practises when doing data recovery and stuff like that.

I wasn't really interested in use x, y, z pieces of software, although that test disk piece of software that is open source looks interesting :

"I'm not unreasonable- I just don't like people assuming too much. If it were left to Shane we would be buying tons of scripting utilities and little applications that can end up making spaghetti out of what should be a simple job (and Shane knows my sense of humour"

YOU:

"Just thought, you know with hard drives that are about to die , not sure if its true or not but ive heard you can put it into a sandwhich bag ( zip locked ) and put it into the freezer for some time and then use it again to get the data off of it."

My response: just use ghost (in a light hearted way).

YOU:

"I see grommit made a comment about quotas and users dumping there memory sticks onto the server and duplicating backups and I've read the rest of it and I am obviously missing something here as I still don't get how ghost comes into it but ok"

You only see what you want to see. You thought someone had a strike against me and so wanted to join in. And now you patronise me with this tripe.

OK. You wanted software (though you say not specific "X, Y, Z" unless it is Linux which you hardly use anyway) that can recover USB drives (not a big deal on our network anyway). You have had some suggestions. Take them and actually do something with them without trying to score some kind of ego trip on a public forum for goodness sake.

Amd then do what you're supposed to be doing and learn to use Server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ouch ...

I really want to be a fly on the wall come Monday!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    Ouch ...

I really want to be a fly on the wall come Monday!

I'm charging enough so that I can cover the cost of that utility that Shane now says he doesn't want

I'll let you in free though ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

All sounds like good fun in your school hey Kingswood.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    All sounds like good fun in your school hey Kingswood.

Thank Post

YOU:

"Just thought, you know with hard drives that are about to die , not sure if its true or not but ive heard you can put it into a sandwhich bag ( zip locked ) and put it into the freezer for some time and then use it again to get the data off of it."

My response: just use ghost (in a light hearted way).

YOU:

"I see grommit made a comment about quotas and users dumping there memory sticks onto the server and duplicating backups and I've read the rest of it and I am obviously missing something here as I still don't get how ghost comes into it but ok"

You only see what you want to see. You thought someone had a strike against me and so wanted to join in. And now you patronise me with this tripe.

OK. You wanted software (though you say not specific "X, Y, Z" unless it is Linux which you hardly use anyway) that can recover USB drives (not a big deal on our network anyway). You have had some suggestions. Take them and actually do something with them without trying to score some kind of ego trip on a public forum for goodness sake.

Amd then do what you're supposed to be doing and learn to use Server.
    I wasn't trying to patronise you I Just honestly couldnt make the link between how data recovery and ghost linked ( Also in a light hearted way )

As for ego trip , I wasnt aiming for an ego trip I was just asking a question on here to see what responses I would get, not to try to start any ego trip or fight or anything.

As for the utility, I didnt ask anyone to buy any utility or even request for a utility for school , not to say that it wouldnt be useful as Im sure it would be but like you said earlier ( staff should save to the network drive / server ).

As for the server side of things - yes you're totally right!!! In a light hearted non patronising, non agressive non fighting way and being honest here and im not trying to be sarcastic or anything.

Thank Post

As for

"You only see what you want to see. You thought someone had a strike against me and so wanted to join in. And now you patronise me with this tripe."

The only thing that I saw as someone attacking you was when plexer ( Ben ) saying about your suggestion not being a solution.

I ignored that and that didnt phase me at all considering that your original suggestion was regarding the utility and the school not paying for it.

I don't recall agreeing with him or saying look the school should pay for it.

I just light heartdly said that I didnt expect the school to pay for it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts

I still fail to see why you think the auditors would not like the idea of the school buying such a utility if you had a need for it and the school was able to pay for it then that must be enough evidence to satisfy any auditor just because it happens to be a piece of shareware shouldn't make any difference.

Plus it wasn't an attack just my observations from your comments and I realised from the nicks and sigs you must be from the same school.

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax
    Just thought, you know with hard drives that are about to die , not sure if its true or not but ive heard you can put it into a sandwhich bag ( zip locked ) and put it into the freezer for some time and then use it again to get the data off of it.

Is that true and also would that work for a memory stick considering they use memory chips and its not magnetic etc.

just a thought
    what freezing/chilling does is to make the disks to contract and create a little more space for movement. it sometimes works, it sometimes doesn't
    Are there any other tricks or tips like that which would also help ?

Aside from obviously making back ups ( Golden rule # 1 obviously )
    if you've got a techrepublic account, try this link

Thank Post

@Beeswax: I've got a TechRepublic account so will get that later. Thanks for the link.

@Plexer: Having been with the auditors for some of the past week I can assure you that they *don't* like these kinds of transaction. I know it's not that logical, but auditors aren't vulcans they are more like Romulans!

We now have an application that could do the job thanks to a friend who emailed me USB applications (portable apps).

Paul

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast