+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, disposal of old it equipment in Technical; Blatent spam removed! - Ric_...

Thank Post

Re: disposal of old it equipment

Blatent spam removed! - Ric_

Thank Post

Re: disposal of old it equipment

Funny how the rules to save the planet work, once there was illegal dumping of rubble, then it was fridges, now its computers and monitors.

Junior schools are told they have to upgrade their computers, but who wants their old 266 and 15" monitors? We have tried parents, we have tried charities, we don't have a few pounds for people to take them away.

I'm told that some schools use black plastic bags in the centre of skips, but I certainly couldn't comment.

Thank Post
    Hi all,

Our comapny offers a completely Free service to eduction establishments. We are fully licenced, we also have ISO14001 Stage1 Pass. It's important the company you choose to dispose with are licenced to do so else you may be breaking the law.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DNA-IT-Recycling View Post
    Our comapny offers a completely Free service to eduction establishments.
    What area of the country do you cover? What happens to the old equipment that you collect - do you re-use as much of it as you can? How do you go about collecting equipment from a school, do you provide a skip or cage or does the school make a pile somewhere and you take it away in a van at some point?

We are fully licenced, we also have ISO14001 Stage1 Pass. It's important the company you choose to dispose with are licenced to do so else you may be breaking the law.
    What license(s), exactly, do we need to check for when arranging for someone to take away old IT/general electrical equipment? What is an ISO14001 Stage1 Pass?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    We cover all of England and South Wales. Our process focuses on refurbishment of equipment and the full recycling of the waste. This enables us to offer this free service as we maximize the value of output. We normally collect in large vans but this can change depending on load sizes. Allot of companies will state they are licensed because they may have a carriers license. However to process your equipment i.e. data wipe or refurbish they would also require a form of waste management license or an exemption. They should also leave you with a waste transfer note which acknowledges the transfer of ownership/responsibility to the company that collects your items.

6. 2 Thanks to DNA-IT-Recycling:

dalsoth (12th June 2009), dhicks (9th June 2009)

Thank Post
    If they have an xp licence and work I would like them for a primary school project I am working on if they are suitable. NO CHARGE can collect.

Thank Post
    We donate our old equipment to CARE (Collect And Recycle Ecologically) Computers For Developing Countries.

CARE uses your old PCs, laptops, monitors, peripherals, and networking equipment to help meet the urgent need for PCs in schools and colleges throughout Ghana. It is a non-profit organisation and only asks for a 10 donation for each PC you donate to help to cover its costs.

If you are based in the West Sussex area then I would highly recommend getting involved. Jib is a top guy and is very passionate about his cause so be warned, once he starts chatting you won't be able to get away!

Web: Care - Computers for Developing Countries - Home
    e-mail: jibhagan@carec4dc.com
    Tel: 07753 262489

ron

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by krisd32 View Post
    how has anybody dealt with this before?

the problem is we have 65 new machines coming in a month and i need a solution to dispose of the old equipment for as little ££££ as possible.

if any body knows of a company in lancs that is cheap etc.. could you please let me have the details!

thanks in advance
    Try these guys - LANCASHIRE COMPUTER WASTE SERVICES: 01254726303

LCWS - Where IT disposal and recycling do not cost the earth

They collect all my old IT stuff, they are FREE.

Thank Post
    Our LEA will take equipment off our hands, sometimes we have to wait for a space in their lockup. Other alternatives when desperate - local computer recycling place took crt monitors and provided us with a disposal certificate for a nominal cost, local lions organisation take computers and monitors for overseas schools, local company provide skip for mass disposal of equipment.

Bit cautious of taking stuff to tip as we have the schools name emblazoned over everything and wouldn't want to end up on BBC news as fly tippers/irresponsible/data protection issue. We work on the basis that if there is paperwork to prove you've disposed of equipment in properly - blame shouldn't end up at our feet!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12