+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Cheap but seems OK Colour Laser Offer £145 in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Cheap but seems OK Colour Laser Offer £145

A few months ago I needed to quickly replace an office HP2600 and Thomas Computer Supplies recommend a Brother HL4040.

I got it, installed easy and its been fault free.

So I bought another one last week as a curric shared printer off a W2k3 server and it installed easy and just seems to work (unlike HP Bus inkjets at the moment!).

Anyway, flyer came through from Thomas saying these on on offer for £145.50 and I thought other might be interested if needing such a device and short of dosh!

(You can buy it for £245 if you want a 3 year warranty - pays your money and takes your choice )

regards

Simon

2. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

Tcsltd (25th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Brother Colour printers £100 off!!

Here is the Link to our advert for it!!

Simon... if you have not applied for the 3 year warranty you can still get the £100 off if you want!! I will just issue a credit

Thank Post
    Sorry to slightly hijack this but what would you recommend as a low running cost single PC low volume laser at the moment? Looking at the 4040, I could go for them at that price but it seems a little bulky for a small office and at only 1500 pages/cart seems like it will churn through toner almost as fast as the inkjets I'm looking to replace...

5. Thanks to OutToLunch from:

Tcsltd (25th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Hijack away!! There are high capacity toners for the hl4040 at 4k page yield for the colours and 5k for the black!!

I will have a look at some other for you though

Thank Post
    low running cost single PC low volume laser
    I don't think such a beast exists - lalthough I'll have one when you find it

(Apart from B&W ones that is)

regards

Simon

PS BTW your right on the bulk - it takes up a fair bit of horiz space as the carts stack horiz not vertical like a HP2600 but I've been told that's a better way for them to work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    Sorry to slightly hijack this but what would you recommend as a low running cost single PC low volume laser at the moment? Looking at the 4040, I could go for them at that price but it seems a little bulky for a small office and at only 1500 pages/cart seems like it will churn through toner almost as fast as the inkjets I'm looking to replace...
    PM'd you

Thank Post
    We've got loads of brother 4040s which are all going in the bin. Great for the first 10000 prints, then they start to get really unreliable and expensive. A full set of replacements is somewhere in teh region of £700.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    We've got loads of brother 4040s which are all going in the bin. Great for the first 10000 prints, then they start to get really unreliable and expensive. A full set of replacements is somewhere in teh region of £700.
    For just the toners you are looking at about £300 ex vat for the high capacities then another £200 for the drum & belt, and they have a much longer life! There is always the 3 year on site warranty you can have instead of the £100 off

Thank Post
    Great for the first 10000 prints, then they start to get really unreliable and expensive.

What are you planning on replacing them with?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    We're almost entirely brother printers here because they're cheap and great workhorses! Plus the support is amazing. Give em a ring and the engineer will be out next working day no questions asked! Great company

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have a site that uses almost all brother gear and the drivers are terrible. Their latest monstrosity had to be rolled back as as soon as we updated to it the privilage seperation broke on network printers. It also started printing out portrait pages in landscape, you know rotated so you only get the first two thirds rotated and centered.

Don't even get me started about their epic stupidity when it comes to driver versioning, almost every driver that I have installed from them has had the same version number regardless of whether it has been updated or not so you install the new ones and the version stays the same. The features change slightly so they are different but you have to look for clues rather than a set figure. This is on a 32bit 2003 server too, I would hate to think how much trouble they would cause on a x64 server. The drivers also have some memory leak issues HL2040n and the more you have the worse it gets.

All printers are evil but brother has their corprate hq in one of the inner circles of hell or should do, the managment there would be sure to give them tax credits for their services.

Thank Post
    I must say we have little grief from our brother printers. Over 80% of our monochrome printers are brother (although we have no colour brother printers) and only ever needed to call Brother out once a few years ago when some of the students tried to "fix" a paper jam and caused a right mess. The chap fixed it no quibbles under the warranty the next day and been fine since!

I appreciate though I can't comment on any of their colour laser printers, though if their mono ones are anything to go by, I don't see there being any detrimental issues arrising.

Can't say I agree with SYNACK above - maybe you have been very unlucky or we have just been very lucky?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I have a site that uses almost all brother gear and the drivers are terrible. Their latest monstrosity had to be rolled back as as soon as we updated to it the privilage seperation broke on network printers. It also started printing out portrait pages in landscape, you know rotated so you only get the first two thirds rotated and centered.

Don't even get me started about their epic stupidity when it comes to driver versioning, almost every driver that I have installed from them has had the same version number regardless of whether it has been updated or not so you install the new ones and the version stays the same. The features change slightly so they are different but you have to look for clues rather than a set figure. This is on a 32bit 2003 server too, I would hate to think how much trouble they would cause on a x64 server. The drivers also have some memory leak issues HL2040n and the more you have the worse it gets.

All printers are evil but brother has their corprate hq in one of the inner circles of hell or should do, the managment there would be sure to give them tax credits for their services.
    Synack

would you mind me forwarding your comments to my Brother rep to see if we get any feedback??

Regards

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tcsltd View Post
    Synack

would you mind me forwarding your comments to my Brother rep to see if we get any feedback??

Regards
    Not a problem, if it helps get a better driver model in place I am all for it. The hardware itself is very robust and reasonable on consumables but the drivers, in my case at least have been a huge nightmare hence the above comments and the reason we are stuck with 32bit clients at that site for the time being.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread