+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Recommend me a digital camera (200 budget) in Technical; We've got some Canon PowerShot A470 cameras (the Tesco voucher one), which we really like for general use, but they're ...
    Thank Post

Recommend me a digital camera (200 budget)

We've got some Canon PowerShot A470 cameras (the Tesco voucher one), which we really like for general use, but they're no good taking photos of assemblies and other such in the school hall as the light quality is all wrong so I'm looking for something a bit bigger. We need something with a nice simple "point-and-shoot" mode, and if possible something which Primary kids can use; I don't mean it has to be a green and orange My First Camera, just nothing overly complex or with fiddly buttons.

Maximum spend is 200, so I can't afford an SLR - what can people recommend for that price?

Thank Post
    Poor performance under marginal light levels is the price you pay for most modestly priced cameras I am afraid. Even if you crank up the sensitivity (ISO) you will introduce 'noise' and the smaller/cheaper the sensor the worse it will get. Lower light levels means slower shutter speeds, when coupled with long focal lengths means camera shake & movement blurring too.....

Also, lower price cameras (even DSLRs with 'kit' lenses) will have relatively slow lenses meaning their sensors receive a lot less light in the first place.

Built-in flash at anything beyond a few metres on most cameras will not help much either.

I think you may be disappointed whatever you were to buy at your budget level if low light performance is key....

Thank Post
    We're not talking low light levels as in photographing in the dark, just your average school sports hall. Photos on our SLR (Canon EOS 450) are more than acceptable.

Thank Post
    The image sensor is much bigger on an EOS 450 than almost any modestly priced compact, with vastly superior optics.....

Fuji are making interesting claims about their EXR technology in their latest FX70EXR & FX200EXR products, I have recently bought an FX72EXR (Jessops 'exclusive' version of the FX70EXR) but have not tried the EXR capabilities..... this was intended as a shirt-pocket camera while out & about when I didn't want to take my Nikon DSLR.....

Unfortunately I would not regard the Fuji as particularly easy to use, it would have to be set up beforehand for a student to use if you needed anything other than point & shoot
    Last edited by broc; 22nd January 2010 at 03:42 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread