+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, HP Officejet Pro 8000 printing half pages in Technical; Doesn't work for me Downloaded driver for K550 and ran it on server (w2k3) to extract the files. Went into ...

Thank Post
    Doesn't work for me

Downloaded driver for K550 and ran it on server (w2k3) to extract the files.

Went into add printers - created a standard tcp/ip port - browsed to find drivers - all seemed to install OK.

But shows offline in printer status

Tried test print - nothing came out

(Printer still working direct from a workstation)

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Just a point that may or may not help...

Before I went with the K550 I used the Kyocera Driver Deleter to wipe all traces of the old HP K5400 drives (including the OEM inf), rebooted the server and then installed the K550 driver only version.

It's a guess but you may find that picking K550 or not the later driver versions may still influence things and cause problems... There's also the possibility that the old driver on workstations is still an issue too...

Just a thought.

Thank Post
    Ok we need another printer and I don't want to buy another of these, can anyone recommend a similar featured printer that's not HP? (I'm looking for tried and tested )

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Ok we need another printer and I don't want to buy another of these, can anyone recommend a similar featured printer that's not HP? (I'm looking for tried and tested )

Thanks.
    One of my retail customers is after a few hundred of these, I hadn't really heard any bad reports on this till now. Getting slightly concerned at the moment I've spent the last half hour or so going through Canon, Brother and Epson. I'll be honest im really struggling to find an alternate as well!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby77 View Post
    One of my retail customers is after a few hundred of these, I hadn't really heard any bad reports on this till now. Getting slightly concerned at the moment I've spent the last half hour or so going through Canon, Brother and Epson. I'll be honest im really struggling to find an alternate as well!!

We have three and they've been a nightmare so far, the other users in this thread seem to have more than I do and they have similar problems so it’s not specific to my servers/network. The HP’s are working as stand alone printers at the moment as they just refuse to work properly when shared from a 2008 server. I'm going to try sharing one from an XP box tomorrow.

If I was you I’d seriously consider getting your client to try a couple before buying a large amount.

Thank Post
    Well after two hours on the phone to HP they seem convinced that there's a problem, they had us try several different drivers.

They're now going to send out another unit with newer firmware, I’ll keep you posted.

7. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

SimpleSi (12th February 2010)

Thank Post
    Have you tried turning off bidirectional support on the port tab? I had the half page/partially printed bottom rows issue with network connected K5400s until doing that.

Thank Post
    The bidirectional support tab was greyed out even as an admin.

Thank Post
    Hey folks...

It's a bit off topic but can I just ask... If I was to get one of these units in and then troubleshoot the cr*p out of it, would you be interested in helping meet some of the cost towards the actual unit itself? Or better yet, does someone have a unit they can courier over rather than hit with a hammer? (much as the latter might be more satisfying )

I'd be happy to give this a serious testing and see if there are some solutions that others haven't had a chance to figure out, but I'm not overly keen on the idea of purchasing a unit to work on if it's a loss leader from the get go...

Thoughts welcome...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby77 View Post
    I've spent the last half hour or so going through Canon, Brother and Epson. I'll be honest im really struggling to find an alternate as well!!
    In fairness, the market is going to hell in a handbasket...

Epson printer build quality was already going downhill about 18 - 24 months ago but Canon and HP have followed suit with Canon licensing many of their designs to HP to be built into different cases. Build quality on Canon printers has dropped considerably which is a crying shame because they had the best printers, despite the issues presented when it came to CIS units.

The bottom line is that the Inkjet printer market is being treated like a proper throwaway item way beyond what it was before.

If I was going to suggest any printers now most would be units that have been refurbished rather than brand new. Unfortunately with the advent of Windows 7 the manufacturers are not producing suitable native drivers so many need to be installed and run in WinXP Compatible mode (yes, it is possible).

If that wasn't bad enough, you have companies like Lexmark adding RFID chips to their cartridges so they can't be bypassed (well.. yet!), Epson locking down utilities to stop waste ink counters being reset and Canon continuing their chip encryption program...

So, frankly there's EVERY reason to buy older, tried and tested units over the newer disposable items...

Yep, something of a rant but when I think of all that unnecessary landfill, it's common sense but in reverse...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Hey folks...

It's a bit off topic but can I just ask... If I was to get one of these units in and then troubleshoot the cr*p out of it, would you be interested in helping meet some of the cost towards the actual unit itself? Or better yet, does someone have a unit they can courier over rather than hit with a hammer? (much as the latter might be more satisfying )

I'd be happy to give this a serious testing and see if there are some solutions that others haven't had a chance to figure out, but I'm not overly keen on the idea of purchasing a unit to work on if it's a loss leader from the get go...

Thoughts welcome...

I'll wait to see what HP support come up with and what the new unit is like. It sounds like there's a genuine issue as they're sending out a 'new' build.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    I'll wait to see what HP support come up with and what the new unit is like. It sounds like there's a genuine issue as they're sending out a 'new' build.
    Ok... will be interesting to see if there is any difference at all to be honest...

Thank Post
    Make sure you change the printer setting in printing defaults - again we have about 20 of these all of which work fine (after we changed it to A4 from Legal in defaults on the server).

Thank Post
    again we have about 20 of these all of which work fine
    Can you remember how you set them up?

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Make sure you change the printer setting in printing defaults - again we have about 20 of these all of which work fine (after we changed it to A4 from Legal in defaults on the server).

I've repeatedly changed it from legal to A4 on the server then at random times they start acting up again and I notice that it's set back to legal on the server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast