+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Recommendations for virtualisation server in Technical; ...

Thank Post
    I'm just going to endorse what others have said here but with my own 2p thrown in,

It sounds like you (SIDEWINDER), are looking at Virtualisation more as a consolidation solution rather than a fully redundant clustering/failover solution.
    I also like to use VM's for application isolation, we often brden physical servers with applications that are really like Oil and Water a VM can keep these troublesome mixes apart.

In which case you need raw horsepower to host the Guest OS's, so RAM and CPU's are key.
    We use Dual Quad 3Ghz HP's but anything that supports hardware virtualisation will do! I've had 15 guests running on one of these without it breaking into a sweat.

As posted by others the iSCSI entry level option would be a better place to store/boot your VM's from but if you do choose to store/run them locally make sure your raid card is reasonably high spec to keep the read/write queues down.
    This shouldnt be an issue with all of the Dell Raid options.

Also, make sure you have loads of NIC ports, the more the merrier.
    Dual Quad Ports is what we use, you can't beat having a dedicated NIC for each VM if you can.
    We use the onboard for Host Management and iSCSI connections and map a VM to each NIC port.
    The Multiport NICs also make things like Virtual Switches easier to setup and apply.

If you are not yet considering clustering and failover don't put all your golden eggs in one basket!
    Stick to virtualising the member servers that will not bring your site to it's knees everytime you want to tweak a setting and bring the Host down!
    If you must virtualise a DC without redundancy, keep it as simple as possible so that you can V2P it easily if need be or seize roles from physical servers in an emergency.

Most of us can live without the AV server or the WSUS or WDS even a printserver or two can go AWOL for a while without anyone loosing any sleep but start putting DC's and Fileservers on there without proper redundancy youre heading for a whole world of hurt!

Once you start to look towards Virtualising DC's and other mission critical servers you will quickly realise that £20k for your first virtual server farm and SAN is more of a requirement than a request.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m25man View Post
    It sounds like you (SIDEWINDER), are looking at Virtualisation more as a consolidation solution rather than a fully redundant clustering/failover solution.
    I also like to use VM's for application isolation, we often brden physical servers with applications that are really like Oil and Water a VM can keep these troublesome mixes apart.
    Definitely, yes. Baby steps at the minute. Ideally would eventually like everything virtualised with redundancy, but our usual seemingly unlimited budget is unsurprisingly starting to be reined in, so anything major will have to be planned for a year or so in advance, if we could afford it at all.
    What I'm looking at here is consolidation of some member servers, and capacity for future non critical servers.

As posted by others the iSCSI entry level option would be a better place to store/boot your VM's from but if you do choose to store/run them locally make sure your raid card is reasonably high spec to keep the read/write queues down.
    This shouldnt be an issue with all of the Dell Raid options.
    What does worry me slightly with the entry level SAN solutions is potential lack of bandwidth...for example the ReadyNas only has 2x1Gb ports which seems slightly limiting to me, but then again I've not had any experiance with iSCSI so perhaps that is more than enough.
    Either way, for the reasons above, fibre channel or 10Gb is almost certainly out of our price range for the time being

Also, make sure you have loads of NIC ports, the more the merrier.
    Dual Quad Ports is what we use, you can't beat having a dedicated NIC for each VM if you can.
    We use the onboard for Host Management and iSCSI connections and map a VM to each NIC port.
    The Multiport NICs also make things like Virtual Switches easier to setup and apply.
    Noted, will make sure there is an extra quad port NIC or 2

If you are not yet considering clustering and failover don't put all your golden eggs in one basket!
    Stick to virtualising the member servers that will not bring your site to it's knees everytime you want to tweak a setting and bring the Host down!
    If you must virtualise a DC without redundancy, keep it as simple as possible so that you can V2P it easily if need be or seize roles from physical servers in an emergency.

Most of us can live without the AV server or the WSUS or WDS even a printserver or two can go AWOL for a while without anyone loosing any sleep but start putting DC's and Fileservers on there without proper redundancy youre heading for a whole world of hurt!

Once you start to look towards Virtualising DC's and other mission critical servers you will quickly realise that £20k for your first virtual server farm and SAN is more of a requirement than a request.
    Definitely. From what you and others are saying, I think its probably worth keeping my DC's & fileservers physical for now, which isnt too much of a problem considering the file servers were only replaced last year anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    only has 2x1Gb ports which seems slightly limiting to me
    Its not as simple as "how much does it add up to?". The way any tcp traffic works when bonding interfaces is only 1 link can be used per host. ie if you only have 1 SAN and 1 VMserver it doesnt matter if they have 8 1gb nics, they will still only communicate at 1gb. So if you are only planning on having 2 VMservers then 2 x 1gb on your SAN is enough.
    With that in mind the VMservers talk to many hosts (and indeed have many hosts on them) so 2 x 1gb or more is a must.

All that said, the more the better if you've got the money, as its always handy to have spare capacity for backups etc, but if you are tight on cash you can go without and upgrade next year.

The main thing which is likely to cause an IO bottleneck is if you skimp on HDs. The faster the better and the more the better too. Personal opinion (after using a SAN with 6 sata HDs) is 6 SAS or more is a minimum.

Thank Post
    Anyone got any experiance of Broadberry SAN's?
    They've got very good reviews in PC Pro, and the 316S is their recommended SAN,
    But just wondered if anyone had used them before I contact them

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12