+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Non-Widescreen TFT Monitors in Technical; Why are all TFT monitors widescreen? I want to get rid of the last of our CRTs, but would like ...
    Thank Post

Non-Widescreen TFT Monitors

Why are all TFT monitors widescreen? I want to get rid of the last of our CRTs, but would like to stick with 4:3 where possible, especially on those PCs which are driving projectors. Also, I conscious of the aesthetic effect in the IT Suites if some of the monitors are 19" WS and the older ones are 17" regular.

I can buy a 19" WS for £90, but would need to spend £107 if I want it 4:3 (which seems odd to spend 20% more on something which is smaller).

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The cost difference it due to the size of the LCD sheets that they manufacture, gien the dimentions they can get more widescreen pannels out of a single sheet than they can 4:3 ones hence the price difference. There is also a greater demand for widescreen now due to the increase in widescreen media consumption on computers which also helps drive the cost down.

What you ccould do is get 19" widescreens with better stands and have them rotated 90 degrees. This saves you width in a suite and gives you a really good docuent editing space. Almost all drivers can easily rotate the output 90 degrees too.

Thank Post
    Also there are only a few manufacurers in the world that make the actual panels - if they decide that everyone wants widescreens then that's what they'll make the most of, therefore making them cheaper than standard 4:3s.

I've ran into this problem while purchasing and have had to bite the bullet and purchase widescreens rather than pay the extra cost for standard format as I couldn't really justify it as best value.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by korifugi View Post
    I've ran into this problem while purchasing and have had to bite the bullet and purchase widescreens rather than pay the extra cost for standard format as I couldn't really justify it as best value.
    That's what I'm likely to do. As it happens, I'm looking at buying almost exactly the same number of monitors as there are PCs in one IT Suite, so I'll take that room up to 19" WS, and move the 17" 4:3 to the classrooms where I'm trying to rid the CRTs.

I just can't justify an extra few hundred quid for the 4:3 monitors, especially when I know that each time it will be harder to get 4:3 so at some point the school is going WS - might as well start now!

Thank Post
    HI,
    We have problem getting 4:3 displays . Pm me and I will give you our suppliers details

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    I want to get rid of the last of our CRTs, but would like to stick with 4:3 where possible, especially on those PCs which are driving projectors.
    You can always buy second hand - with everyone upgrading to widescreen, there's a lot of second hand LCDs around, you can buy in bulk from several suppliers.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    You can always buy second hand - with everyone upgrading to widescreen, there's a lot of second hand LCDs around, you can buy in bulk from several suppliers.
    Hadn't thought of that - is there really that much of a market in second-hand monitors?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread