+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, HD Monitor in Technical; I have decided that I am going to treat myself this year and replace my 19" Widescreen TFT Monitor with ...
    richard_s

HD Monitor

I have decided that I am going to treat myself this year and replace my 19" Widescreen TFT Monitor with a 22" or 23" model.

I have been looking around have seen a few that I like including a couple of HD models and given that my GTX 260 card has a HDMI output I am wondering if going for one these would make more sense than buying a standard monitor or not?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    If you have HDMI you might as well use it, tends to give better contrast and wider colour (that is the correct spelling, damned American dictionary!) space. I have a Hanns-G 22" (not sure what model, it's at home) and that's been fantastic, it was really cheap as well.

richard_s
    I am looking to turn my spare room into an office so I might get 2 of them if I have the space

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    DVI/HDMI use exactly the same encoding mechanisms - so any monitor which accepts DVI will work with a HDMI -> DVI cable. The only extra thing HDMI adds is the capability to carry audio, but is unlikely to be applicable here due to it being the output from a GFX card.

So, any DVI monitor will do you...

5. Thanks to localzuk from:

richard_s
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    DVI/HDMI use exactly the same encoding mechanisms - so any monitor which accepts DVI will work with a HDMI -> DVI cable. The only extra thing HDMI adds is the capability to carry audio, but is unlikely to be applicable here due to it being the output from a GFX card.

I didn't know that ......

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    HDMI is backward compatible with DVI, there is not really much difference between dual DVI-D and HDMI apart from the sound passthrough. I'd suggest getting whichever moniter looks the best (picture quality) at the best price. If you need the extra resolution or want to watch unscaled 1080 HD then go for the upspeced moniters.

Thank Post

The new modern graphics cards carry audio out now LocalZ.

My HD4890 has built-in 5.1 output, plugged into the television, all sound is carried via the card, through HDMI into the TV. Worth checking of the Nvidia card has builtin audio out.

10. Thanks to ahuxham from:

localzuk (18th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    The new modern graphics cards carry audio out now LocalZ.

My HD4890 has built-in 5.1 output, plugged into the television, all sound is carried via the card, through HDMI into the TV. Worth checking of the Nvidia card has builtin audio out.
    Interesting. I didn't know that, as I've not bought a decent graphics card for quite some time. Very useful!

Thank Post
    Interesting. I didn't know that, as I've not bought a decent graphics card for quite some time. Very useful!
    Not really, you have to switch between the two depending on what you're doing. I have an Asus Xonar DX and 5.1 speaker set, that I use, but the card switches to its own processor whenever its plugged into the TV and ignores my card and speakers. Bit of a PITA though, but the sound isn't that bad at all. I've now plugged the 5.1 speakers into the TV so alls good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ahuxham View Post
    My Nvidia ION all in one board does the same thing, it's really good for its purpose as a media centre box. As far as I know all of the newer GPUs with HDMI support it and there was even a line that passed audio over a custom DVI->HDMI cable without needing to involve the onboard sound ATI I think those ones were.

richard_s
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    HDMI is backward compatible with DVI, there is not really much difference between dual DVI-D and HDMI apart from the sound passthrough. I'd suggest getting whichever moniter looks the best (picture quality) at the best price. If you need the extra resolution or want to watch unscaled 1080 HD then go for the upspeced moniters.
    Its not really for playing films on as I just want a big screen which is nice and clear.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread