+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Quiet Fan- any ideas? in Technical; Hi, I recently bought and installed this bundle into a mini tower case. Novatech : MBB-542G Novatech Motherboard Bundle - ...
    Thank Post

Quiet Fan- any ideas?

Hi, I recently bought and installed this bundle into a mini tower case.
    Novatech : MBB-542G Novatech Motherboard Bundle - Intel Pentium Dual Core E5400 - 2Gb DDR2 800Mhz - Intel G31 Motherboard : novatech.co.uk

All works fine. However, I do notice it's quite noisy. Can anyone recommend a solution? Is there a quieter fan or something I can buy? Which one?

It's all screwed in tightly!

Many thanks

Thank Post
    If i remember correctly, Yate Loon fans are really good and Panaflo arent bad either... Im a silent freak

best bet is too look here

silentpcreview.com | Index

3. Thanks to owen1978 from:

rocknrollstar (15th January 2010)

Thank Post
    If you're planning on replacing the fan anyway, could do worse than try a drop of sewing machine oil on the bearings to make sure it's properly lubricated.

I routinely do this and clean older fans that are starting to make noise and haven't had a single failure as yet- with spectacular results when it comes to silencing.

5. Thanks to pwds from:

richard_s
    I would also check that its not the PSU fan that is causing the noise as most generic PSU fans tend to be quite noisy.

7. Thanks to richard_s from:

Thank Post
    Also - If that's the bundle that's making it noisey - is it the case fan - if so what size is it? Or is it the PSU fan - if so - buy a quieter psu, or is it the HSF one - if so check it's proeprly seated, if the cpu is heating up too much it'll increase the fan speed, if it's still loud, check out something along the lines of a Zalaman offering, and put a huge (if space allows) heatsink on it, with a fan that hardly needs to spin.

If it's a case fan Yate-Loons are good as owen1987 mentioned, or Nexus, though if you find a guide on how to 7volt a Yate-Loon fan (you just need to swap some of the cables over) then you basically have yourself a Nexus...

quietpc are pretty decent for silent things, including a silent Zalman psu which I thought was amazing when I had one.

RwD

9. Thanks to RinSewand from:

Thank Post
    Thanks everyone. The CPU was installed by the company, as well as the CPU fan. There is a case fan on the front, although it's not plugged in as there wasn't a power spot on the M/B to use. Not that I could see anyway.

The M/B is tight on the case, and there is a sort of plastic round tube which is connected to the case that sits over the cpu fan, presumably for quick air access.

Perhaps a new fan then!

Thank Post
    Check your bios to see if you have fan control options in the bios, is it an asus board? Check under power > hardware monitor and set CPu Q-fan control to enabled.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by owen1978 View Post
    If i remember correctly, Yate Loon fans are really good and Panaflo aren't bad either...
    Even better still are Noctua and Scythe fans. In particular the NF-P12 and S-Flex series fans.

Thank Post
    Quiet PC-Quiet PC Hardware-Quiet PC Components-Quiet PC Zalman Products

and look at the zalman flower.

or have a semi passive option with a 500 rpm 120 mm fan which there is one that only makes about 6 db noise out there - of which i have 3 installed in different machines

Thank Post
    Check your PSU, if thats the noisy bit then have a look at some of these - [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/OCZ-500W-StealthXStream-Power-Supply/dp/B001564SRE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1263899099&sr =8-3]OCZ 500W StealthXStream Power Supply: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame] or [ame=http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/psus-300-500/x-red-psus]Xilence Power Quiet PSUs[/ame]

Check your CPU fan - its thats the noisy bit then have a look at - [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%BChler-CPU-Zalman-CNPS-9700/dp/B000LV63HW/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1263899226&sr=1-1-fkmr2]Kühler CPU Zalman CNPS 9700 NT 754/775/939/940/AM2: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo[/ame] - this cooler keeps my AMD Phenom 2.2ghz so cool that I had to turn off the low fan speed warning! (and its compatible with Intel).

If its your case fan - http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/r/enermax-everest - comes in 80mm, 92mm, and 120mm versions.

You can check which fans are making the most noise using a pen/non conductive stick into the fan to stop it.
    Last edited by jamesfed; 19th January 2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Stupid Amazon prices

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread