+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, NetTop in Technical; Has anyone looked at these as replacement for desktop PC's? Products...
    TheLibrarian

NetTop

Has anyone looked at these as replacement for desktop PC's?

Products

Thank Post
    We have desktops with both the Atom N270 and N280 inside. There's not much difference, and they handle the usual domain gubbins without any trouble. Flash applications are fine, and the usual applications pose no issues. I can't see the dual-core system providing any noticeable performance boosts, but it's not going to hurt either.

A major advantage is that you can't hear them! After the initial fan whirr at startup, they're nearly silent. It's hugely noticeable when you go from a room of standard desktops to these.

All in all, they're very nice machines and we'll be getting more when we need to expand.

3. Thanks to fafster from:

Thank Post
    I've been thinking of getting one of these with the Atom 330 to connect up to the TV in my room so I can wirelessly browse the internet and use Facebook etc, all from the comfort of my bed and in HD. I'd contemplate using them in school too seeing as no matter what computer you put in everyone will complain about them being slow sooner or later. Add to that the fact that some kids pretty much just play games on the web during lessons it seems pointless to give them powerful kit.

Thank Post
    Hi, I've got a room full of these - acer 3601 - with 4gb ram. They are quick, quiet and neat. I'm really pleased with them. They are fine running all of the applications that we have in school. I've got them fixed to our monitors using the vesa mountings. I would certainly recommend them.

6. Thanks to mwnci from:

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by mwnci View Post
    Hi, I've got a room full of these - acer 3601 - with 4gb ram. They are quick, quiet and neat. I'm really pleased with them. They are fine running all of the applications that we have in school. I've got them fixed to our monitors using the vesa mountings. I would certainly recommend them.
    What are the main applications they run?

We're wondering about Photoshop and the rest of the Adobe Web Premium CS4 suite.

Thank Post
    What was the rought cost per machine in comparison to a 'regular' machine?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    What are the main applications they run?

We're wondering about Photoshop and the rest of the Adobe Web Premium CS4 suite.

My NC10 Windows 7 netbook runs well but it finds iPlayer hard work and any heavy apps like Photoshop will really need more power that this processor can provide. It's ideal for Office and Internet. We're also using some as wireless netbooks and they work well, they use the same chipset as the net tops.

10. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

Thank Post
    I'm running office 2007, GIMP, Google Earth, Movie Maker Live, and a load of multimedia applicaitons. Not CS3, although I think it would probably cope ok. The model that we have which has a 500gb hdd and 4gb ram, together with the 330 atom processor came out at about 250 excluding.

I have got a room with 41 machines in, and the level of noise and heat is remarkable, in that it is pretty much non existent. We are using them with Benq LED monitors and saving the school a ton in bills.

12. Thanks to mwnci from:

Thank Post
    I'm running office 2007, GIMP, Google Earth, Movie Maker Live, and a load of multimedia applicaitons. Not CS3, although I think it would probably cope ok. The model that we have which has a 500gb hdd and 4gb ram, together with the 330 atom processor came out at about 250 excluding.

I have got a room with 41 machines in, and the level of noise and heat is remarkable, in that it is pretty much non existent. We are using them with Benq LED monitors and saving the school a ton in bills.

My main concern is how long will they last untill they start to slow down? You can get core2 boxes for only 100 more and you might get 4-5 years out of them how will the Atom processors be performing then?

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    My NC10 Windows 7 netbook runs well but it finds iPlayer hard work and any heavy apps like Photoshop will really need more power that this processor can provide. It's ideal for Office and Internet. We're also using some as wireless netbooks and they work well, they use the same chipset as the net tops.
    The NetTop's have a much better graphics capability than the NetBooks (if the reviews are to be believed), and I really do wonder if more of the stuff is graphics hungry rather than processor hungry.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    The NetTop's have a much better graphics capability than the NetBooks (if the reviews are to be believed), and I really do wonder if more of the stuff is graphics hungry rather than processor hungry.

That is true but that doesn't affect everything some processes still offload to the CPU rather than the graphics card this depencs on the software.

Gaming and video-transcoding – both of which rely on the Ion GPU – run well, but more mainstream tasks such as Flash video struggle. HQ YouTube videos even have the audacity to stutter, which is ridiculous when you consider that Ion-boosted PowerDVD can play 1080p QuickTime footage with aplomb on the very same machine.

Engadget’s concern is that many will go for the AspireRevo for its low sticker price, and then end up confused by its various shortcomings; meanwhile, high-end users would be better served by spending a little more on a SFF computer with a desktop processor.

Acer AspireRevo gets reviewed: Ion good, Atom bad - SlashGear

It's just worth keeping in mind.

16. Thanks to cookie_monster from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread