+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Digital camera recommendations in Technical; I need to buy x5 digital cameras but must admit I don't really know anything about cameras. They are for ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,777 Times in 1,199 Posts
    Blog Entries

Smile Digital camera recommendations

I need to buy x5 digital cameras but must admit I don't really know anything about cameras.

They are for a Primary School and don't need to be super whizzy or anything. 5MP should be enough.

The main thing I want is that it is easy just to plug in and get the pictures off, we have some Kodaks that are a real PITA to use and not straight forward for primary age kids.

Thanks

Thank Post
    We supplied the teachers with Sony Cybershot's (S600 or something similar). They just plug un to any USB using a cable and no drivers required, from then on they are just like using a memory stick. You'll still get the same problem of teachers etc not clearing old photos after they have use them though! The new ones have an inbuilt battery so no need for separate batteries etc (good point), kids manage with them OK, its the adults we have problems dropping them with! Just get an extra memory card. Jessops did us a good educational deal as we were after nine at once with camera, extra card, case etc.

3. Thanks to TechSupp from:

sparkeh (6th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp View Post
    The new ones have an inbuilt battery so no need for separate batteries etc (good point)
    Depends on exact usage, I suppose, but I've found that to be a bad point - teachers forget to plug camera in to charge, cameras end up in bottom of drawer not used. I now always go for cameras that take standard AA batteries and have a full set constantly on charge, ready to be swapped around as needed.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Wouldn't the battery degrade like in laptops, with internal battries (not really an issue for home use, but for a enviroment where the constantly being dis/recharged)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of a battery pack but like David have found them to cause issues, having ready charged AA batteries seems to work better.

I am looking at Sony DSC-S930, seems to be good for the money (best price £72 so far).

7. Thanks to sparkeh from:

CPLTD (8th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    I like the idea of a battery pack but like David have found them to cause issues, having ready charged AA batteries seems to work better.

I am looking at Sony DSC-S930, seems to be good for the money (best price £72 so far).
    I'm sure we can do better on that fella with a free 2GB SD card to boot lol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    I'm sure we can do better on that fella with a free 2GB SD card to boot lol
    Talk to me!
    talk to me.jpeg

Lol talk to you later bud

10. Thanks to sparkeh from:

CPLTD (6th January 2010)

Thank Post
    I prefer cameras with a battery pack.
    I find that the users take more care with them and dont let them out of sight. I think they last longer too.
    Whereas the rechargeable AA's and chargers are constantly going missing and being used for other devices. Also silly things like non rechargeables trying to be charged.

12. Thanks to yugo from:

CPLTD (8th January 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by yugo View Post
    Whereas the rechargeable AA's and chargers are constantly going missing and being used for other devices. Also silly things like non rechargeables trying to be charged.
    I stay in charge of the batteries and chargers, and we've bought enough rechargeables to fill the cameras three times over - one set in the cameras, one charging, one set for when the others get lost / worn out. It's also worth spending money to get proper, "smart" chargers as the batteries will have longer lifetimes. Does take a little bit of initial investement (puts the cost of a £70-£80 camera up to around £100 each by the time you've added 3 sets of batteries, charger and extra memory card) but worth it.

We use a set of cameras as a central bookable resource, mind - single cameras in charge of individual teachers might well be different. I'd also add that a 4GB (or 8GB) memory card is worth paying a bit extra for as it lets you fit a lesson's worth of video on - most "stills" cameras actually make excellent in-classroom video (and audio!) devices (and even produce footage that can be edited easily, which "proper" camcorders don't seem to these days). 2GB isn't quite enough.

--
    David Hicks

14. 2 Thanks to dhicks:

CPLTD (8th January 2010), speckytecky (6th January 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread