+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Freezing Computers in Technical; We had certain computers that were freezing, we replaced these in the end. These computer were not old at all. ...
    Thank Post

Freezing Computers

We had certain computers that were freezing, we replaced these in the end. These computer were not old at all.

There are 32 (An ICT Suite worth)

Don't know what ones were freezing, think it kept happening on random computers (Not sure at all, cant remember has this must be about over a year ago I think)

Think I found one the other day that was freezing, was trying to test Koha Library Software On Linux to replace the crappy Alice Software we have, but it kept freezing.

After we replaced the computer, me and my supervisor thought we had found the problem, there was a very old switch we installed ago at the end of the room to supply about 3 or 4 extra Ethernet ports to the room for the computers and wire router, we changed this to hub just in case.

Has this was not the problem what could be?

We also changed the Hard drives in everyone, when we were trying to fix the computer before we brought new ones. We thought it may be that because the hard drive were from the old ICT Suite computers. Was not my idea to use the old ones, was my supervisors, I wouldn't have done that. So has you can tell we made these computers

Think the specs were, 512MB Ram Pentium D and a foxconn Mobo with a 945G Chipset

Could this be the problem?

The motherboard had an 8pin connection connection power socket, which is used for extra power to the the processor right? How power supplys only has a 4pin connection, so only 4 pins were only connected into this socket. Could that have been the problem?

If not work else could it be?

Would like to use these computers to replace older computers in the library

Library computers are not Areo compatible and are only P4 CPUS, will be upgrading to Windows 7 Janurary around the school, putting these computer into the library means we dont have to payout for another room of compters, only ram upgrades

Already need to replace three rooms of computer to be able to upgrade to windows 7 which means 96 Computer, so dont really want to add another 20 more onto that

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    The motherboard had an 8pin connection connection power socket, which is used for extra power to the the processor right? How power supplys only has a 4pin connection, so only 4 pins were only connected into this socket. Could that have been the problem?
    Yes this could well be the problem. There are 8 pins there for a reason! If your PSUs only have a 4pin, you can get 4 to 8 pin adapters, similar to Molex to SATA power adapters.

I've seen some systems run OK with a 20pin ATX connector, even though the motherboard has a 24pin ATX connector. It is always recommended to use the right type of power supply.

Thank Post
    I read something ages ago that you only need the 8 pin if your using a more power hungry processor.... But like I said I still think that is the problem

Guess my supervisor didn't look at the power supply connections that came with the case and the motherboard power connections, when he ordered the hardware

Suppose I could order some converters (3 or 4) see if that work, if that works, order the amount I need to do it one all the computers

What One you recommend?

2 Molex To One 8 Pin

Or One 4 pin To One 8 Pin
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 30th December 2009 at 09:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I didn't know the 8pin to 2 x Molex existed, but I've used the 4pin to 8pin without any problems. It should properly deliver power to where it's needed.

I'd recommend you buy a few for the affected machines, run some tests, then buy some more if it solves the problem.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread