+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Problem with RM Interactive Whiteboards in Technical; We have several RM branded Interactive whiteboards throughout the school - these are basically GTO-Calcomp devices rebranded. These boards are ...
    ttw

Thank Post

Question Problem with RM Interactive Whiteboards

We have several RM branded Interactive whiteboards throughout the school - these are basically GTO-Calcomp devices rebranded. These boards are driven by Interwrite software, and we are using version 6.02.003. Most of the devices with shich we are having a problem are mains electricity powered, although one has had the control board replaced and is now USB powered.

The issue we are having is that, if the PC is connected to the School LAN, it is impossible to draw a complete line more than a few centimetres without breaks appearing in it. Hence, it is not possible to write on the board; teachers and pupils cannot drag and drop items, because the pen stops working momentarily, and stops dragging the item; in general, they are pretty useless except as a means of projecting a video. This happens whether or not the cabling is connected to a switch at the remote end; the mere connection of a patch cable to the wall port is sufficient to disrupt the board.

Once the PC is disconnected from the LAN cabling, the boards are fine.

So far, we have tested the mains supply for interference; we have replaced the board, the control board on one device, the patch cable, the USB cable to the board, the LAN switch, and all the PC's. We have run a new cable from the PC to the switch, and run a shielded cable from the PC to the switch. The fault is only present in one part of the school (which seems to me to rule out any effect from the server), and is particularly noticeable on three devices - all of which are powered from the same electricity distribution board, which they share with the school CCTV system.

The CCTV system also started displaying a fault at the same time, in that there is some form of interference on the display, which our service provider is unable to explain.

The LAN cabling through the roof void is clipped to the roof trusses so that it runs adjacent to the CCTV cabling. There is one board in this section of the school that does not have this problem; it was cabled at a later date, and the cable follows a different route back to the switch.

I have now exhausted all my ideas, and those fo a few other people (like the RM support function!). Has anybody encountered this problem elsewhere?

TT-W

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ttw View Post
    The CCTV system also started displaying a fault at the same time, in that there is some form of interference on the display, which our service provider is unable to explain.

The LAN cabling through the roof void is clipped to the roof trusses so that it runs adjacent to the CCTV cabling. There is one board in this section of the school that does not have this problem; it was cabled at a later date, and the cable follows a different route back to the switch.
    I think you're very close to the root of the problem right here.

Try disconnecting your CCTV system from the mains temporarily and see if the problem remains. My guess would be that you have a problem with the mains power feed powering the CCTV system, or the CCTV control box itself. This is causing interference that is being passed through the CCTV control box into the cabling, and the adjacent LAN cable run is picking it up and passing that interference on to the computers.

My basis for this is that I have seen something like what you're describing before, in my last school. We started having ethernet connectivity problems in one building, and when we started diagnosing it, we found something very odd. Using a Fluke Intellitone probe in analogue mode, we heard extremely odd interference along all of the infrastructure cabling. IIRC it sounded like a scratchy-screeching sound on the tone probe. We were still trying to work out what was causing it when less than a week later, the underground mains feed into the school shorted due to damaged insulation. Southern Electric had to come and dig up the car park and work through the night to repair.

Thank Post
    hi there i used to work for rm as an av installer, are the boards that u are using the soft faced ones? similar to smartboards?
    if so we concluded that this spiking issue was due to earthing problems, are you using a laptop with a figure of8 power lead or a pc with a 3prong kettle lead, also the power supply to the projector is this a figure of 8 lead?

we cured this by running an earth cable from the projector bracket to an earth on the building structure, this was occuring when the laptop leads differed from the projector lead , ie where there was no earth, also if your using a laptop try keeping the power pack connected and switched on as the board is in use, let me know if this helps out

pete

Thank Post

Isis VerTable

I was looking at the Isis VerTable by RM. Has anyone used one in the classroom?

Thank Post
    Just set one up yesterday, no instructions, couldn't really get the projector to fill the table properly (short throw, no optical adjustment for size, only digital), finally worked out how the ebeam connected (plastic attachment with no magnets/suction cups, small metal plate between that and the ebeam), seemed to need recalibrating when going from horizontal to vertical.

Table is "widescreen", projector isn't.

Not sure why the table costs £1.4k, it's got no electronics in. Apart from the price and the lack of adjustments for the projector position, seemed good.

No allen keys supplied to attach the ebeam, needs 2 different sizes.

Software was pretty good though, although not an MSI iirc.

Not been tested with actual children, going into a primary classroom in september

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread