+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, New Laptop Advice in Technical; I'm looking for a new laptop for myself and need some advice in picking one. Although I say it's for ...
    Thank Post

New Laptop Advice

I'm looking for a new laptop for myself and need some advice in picking one.

Although I say it's for me I suspect it will be mainly used for work related stuff i.e running VMs, programming, web and graphic design ...

Don't think I am too bothered about the brand of the laptop, ideally the screen needs to be around the 13" mark although at a push it could stretch to a 15" screen. DDR3 RAM is a must, was hoping to go for a laptop with a mobile i7 processor.

With a little help from Google I can only find laptops with screen sizes between 15" and 18" anyone know of a 13" or thereabouts laptop with a mobile i7 processor?

Thank Post
    i7's are to power hungry at 45W as opposed to p series processors at 25W to use in a 13" form factor. You should be looking at 15"/16" models such as Dell Studio 15, Dell XPS Studio 16 or HP Envy 15

3. Thanks to RingOfFlame from:

AngryITGuy (11th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    call me biased or w/e and just so im ready for the after math am gonna hide behind a sofa lol

but hows about a mac book pro

Apple (United Kingdom) - MacBook Pro - Meet the new MacBook Pro family.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookpro/specs.html

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryITGuy View Post
    I'm looking for a new laptop for myself and need some advice in picking one.

Although I say it's for me I suspect it will be mainly used for work related stuff i.e running VMs, programming, web and graphic design ...

Don't think I am too bothered about the brand of the laptop, ideally the screen needs to be around the 13" mark although at a push it could stretch to a 15" screen. DDR3 RAM is a must, was hoping to go for a laptop with a mobile i7 processor.

With a little help from Google I can only find laptops with screen sizes between 15" and 18" anyone know of a 13" or thereabouts laptop with a mobile i7 processor?
    Have a word with CPLTD
    He maybe able to help you with a laptop.

Cheers,
    Steve

6. Thanks to Devontechie from:

CPLTD (12th December 2009)

Thank Post
    Hummm let us read the first post again together mac_shinobi

was hoping to go for a laptop with a mobile i7 processor
    Please feel free to supply a link to the i7 Macbook Pro in the apple store.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    call me biased or w/e and just so im ready for the after math am gonna hide behind a sofa lol

but hows about a mac book pro

Apple (United Kingdom) - MacBook Pro - Meet the new MacBook Pro family.

Apple (United Kingdom) - MacBook Pro - Technical specifications of the 15-inch.
    No need to hide behind a sofa!

I already have one of the current Mac Book Pros mines the MB986*/A with a 2.8GHz processor, 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD drive.

This one has to be Windows based, as much as I love my Macs i hate to admit the fact that you can't do everything on a Mac.
    Last edited by AngryITGuy; 11th December 2009 at 09:36 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    i7's are to power hungry at 45W as opposed to p series processors at 25W to use in a 13" form factor. You should be looking at 15"/16" models such as Dell Studio 15, Dell XPS Studio 16 or HP Envy 15
    I did notice that they were a little power hungry, didn't think that would have been much of an issue for modern day laptop batteries. Giving it some more thought now I'm starting to think that in a smaller form factor the laptop could get quite hot too!

Suppose it was wishful thinking looking for a power house laptop in a small form factor.
    Last edited by AngryITGuy; 11th December 2009 at 09:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,638 Times in 1,463 Posts
    @rof the op was hoping for an i7 didn't say they wouldn't consider something else. So your dig at mac_shinobi was unwarranted.

11. 2 Thanks to plexer:

mac_shinobi (12th December 2009), TheRedGuy (16th December 2009)

Thank Post
    What about alienware? Dont they have powerhouses for laptops? Or has that changed since dell took them over?

http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home...=dhs&cs=ukdhs1 - i know it's a 15" but it's close to the asking spec.
    Last edited by mjs_mjs; 12th December 2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added a link.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had an alienware (pre dell days) and i had a horrible experience. In fact its now a 1500UKP brick. Support was crap, which might have changed with dell, but the battery lasted about 1 hour due to all the high spec components.

Thank Post
    I used to have a samsung laptop and it was pretty rock solid - not sure what they are like now ?

Windows laptop based I would get the what laptop magazine - they review every laptop available as far as I am aware and that would show you reviews and comparisons pound for pound and performance wise etc etc and will give you a much better idea then us lot posting suggestions - end of day its your cash to spend and your personal pref that will decide

Thank Post
    I used to have a samsung laptop and it was pretty rock solid - not sure what they are like now ?
    I'm sitting on an NC10, briliant for my use and i do run vm's and compile code on here. Cos it's a 6 cell version the batery life is awsome. Compared to otheres i have used Samsung and Tosh are my personal choice when it comes to laptops.

Thank Post
    Hummm let us read the first post again together mac_shinobi

Please feel free to supply a link to the i7 Macbook Pro in the apple store.
    @ rof

If you read my post ref the mac book pro I did state I was hiding behind the sofa because I know he requested i7 so no lets not re read the first post and maybe take into consideration why I in fact stated the comment about hiding behind the sofa

Not having a go back but just clarifying

@ AngryITGuy

I bet that mac book pro with the 256gb ssd and 8 gigs of ram is gorgeous at least imo lol

@ mjs_mjs

Ive seen a few people with toshibas and have been put off by them - Dell, Samsung or possibly HP if I had to choose a laptop now that was not mac.

Just personal pref but as stated above if i had to go windows then I would get the aformentioned what laptop mag and read up on it.
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 12th December 2009 at 05:47 PM.

Thank Post
    @ rof

If you read my post ref the mac book pro I did state I was hiding behind the sofa because I know he requested i7 so no lets not re read the first post and maybe take into consideration why I in fact stated the comment about hiding behind the sofa
    So therefore your post was just another meaningless "just get a mac" style answer. So @plexer my reply was not unwarranted as you wish to think.

18. Thanks to RingOfFlame from:

torledo (24th January 2010)

Thank Post
    So therefore your post was just another meaningless "just get a mac" style answer. So @plexer my reply was not unwarranted as you wish to think.
    It's called being facetious - you ever heard of that word ?

Also I have posted a reasonable post up above instead of trying to be argumentative

I take it boot camp was not a good solution due to it not being that brilliant with windows 7 - yet ?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3920

Also the asker already has a really well speced out mac book pro so obviously does not want to go down that route as mentioned above - am just asking about the boot camp option out of curiosity. Is that ok ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 13th December 2009 at 08:33 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast