+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, ESXi and HDDs in Technical; A friend of mine is looking to go down the route of better implementing ESXi onto his network (he's on ...

Thank Post

ESXi and HDDs

A friend of mine is looking to go down the route of better implementing ESXi onto his network (he's on version 3 at the moment). I've suggested that if all he's doing is running a max of 4 VMs, he's probably better off just whacking in some HDDs as RAID 5. However, he has other ideas and was wondering what your thoughts on the following is.

He has 4 VMs doing different things: WSUS+WDS, AV, Print Server and SIMS.

He believes giving each VM their own individual HDD is better than having a group of them in a RAID 5 setup. So he was thinking of setting it up like this:

SIMS: 2 x 146GB HD RAID 1+0
    AV: 2 x 72GB HD RAID 1+0
    Print: 2 x 72GB HD RAID 1+0
    WSUS+WDS: 2 x 146GB HD RAID 1+0

All in a single server - HP ML350 G5/HP ML370 G5.

What do you guys think?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he can fit all 8 drives in the case and on the controller and can afford to purchase all 8 drives then he's probably right. Not much future expandability. But certainly would be both faster and offer better protection than RAID-5. And he'll be using RAID1 on each set not RAID-10 (he'd need 16 drives total for RAID-10).

For a more practical set up, better price, perhaps slightly better future proofing - you're right RAID-5 is better. I'd go 5 larger drives with a larger total capacity in RAID-5 over 8 drives in RAID-1. But thats just me

Thank Post
    SIMS: 2 x 146GB HD RAID 1+0
    AV: 2 x 72GB HD RAID 1+0
    Print: 2 x 72GB HD RAID 1+0
    WSUS+WDS: 2 x 146GB HD RAID 1+0
    I'm not keen on this method, although the suggested configuration has advantages for I/O isolation. But the utilisation of the storage would be poor in my estimation.

Imagine why people use ESXi in the first place, better utlisation the CPU/Memory so why not disks?
    Using all the disks will improve IOPS but there will be I/O contention, just like for CPU/memory.

I don't know much about SIMS but the other applications would all work fine on an internal RAID5 controller(256Mb) with SAS disks.

My suggested configuration would be a single VMFS volume based on RAID 5 with 7 SAS disks including 1 hot spare.

This is my opinion and not the definitive answer, it all depends on applications I/O requirements.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    If he can fit all 8 drives in the case and on the controller and can afford to purchase all 8 drives then he's probably right. Not much future expandability. But certainly would be both faster and offer better protection than RAID-5. And he'll be using RAID1 on each set not RAID-10 (he'd need 16 drives total for RAID-10).

For a more practical set up, better price, perhaps slightly better future proofing - you're right RAID-5 is better. I'd go 5 larger drives with a larger total capacity in RAID-5 over 8 drives in RAID-1. But thats just me

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I figured if he got himself 15k RPM HDs he'll be laughing, cos there shouldn't be any noticeable reduction in performance. Then again, I suppose that's what he's after - better protection and it being a whole lot faster.

Mind you, once he's virtualised SIMS, he's going to use the SIMS server as another one of his ESXi host. So I guess in that sense he does have some room of expandability.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apaton View Post
    I'm not keen on this method, although the suggested configuration has advantages for I/O isolation. But the utilisation of the storage would be poor in my estimation.

Imagine why people use ESXi in the first place, better utlisation the CPU/Memory so why not disks?
    Using all the disks will improve IOPS but there will be I/O contention, just like for CPU/memory.

I don't know much about SIMS but the other applications would all work fine on an internal RAID5 controller(256Mb) with SAS disks.

My suggested configuration would be a single VMFS volume based on RAID 5 with 7 SAS disks including 1 hot spare.

This is my opinion and not the definitive answer, it all depends on applications I/O requirements.
    That's what his primary target is: isolating the I/O without risking any perfomances on the other VMs. I admit it is poor utilisation of storage, and this is where I was hoping to make him see sense in. My recommendation was to put in 5 x 146GB as RAID 5. If the server was capable of using a HD as a hot spare, then whack in 6 in total. But he doesn't see it like that. I believe one of the servers can only handle 8 HDDs, therefore he won't be able to increase storage in future.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Try this argument on him -

Always design servers for possible future needs, not to purely satisify current requirements.

Give him two "what if's" as examples -

What if SIMS needed an extra 20Gb space? Since he's got a fixed 146Gb drive he can't just increase the size of the .vmdk file to suite.

What if the Science department insist on running the dreadful AQA exams again? Do you a) buy another new PC to run the server?, b) run the AQA service on an existing server, say your print server, and risk bring down the print server when AQA goes belly up (as it will), c) run AQA in it's own isolated VM - oh you can't because the ESXi server was designed to run four specific VM's and that's it!

OK, long winded but illustrates the point. Your right, he's wrong, a single larger RAID-5 array hosting the VMDK for all the existing VM's allowing you to expand their size if ever needed and allowing to run additional VM's on the server in the future if ever needed.

Thank Post
    He wants performance, but creating small mirrors would cripple performance on an application by application basis.

Mirrored 2 x 146Gb 10Krpm will give us a maximum of 280 READ IOPS, 140 Write IOPS
    RAID-5 6 x 146Gb 10Krpm will give us a maximum of 840 READ IOPS, 700 Write IOPS

RAID-5 in this configuration would be
    3.5 x faster for reads
    5 x faster for writes
    Now these are theoretical numbers due the RAID Controller and cache but I'm sure they look better than sticking with just mirrored pairs.

All VM's will be using the RAID5, but I'm sure performance is enough to cope. If not tell me why not!

Hope this helps!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apaton View Post
    Mirrored 2 x 146Gb 10Krpm will give us a maximum of 280 READ IOPS, 140 Write IOPS
    RAID-5 6 x 146Gb 10Krpm will give us a maximum of 840 READ IOPS, 700 Write IOPS
    Just to play devils advocate (as I agree RAID-5 is the way to go), as you say...

210 READ IOPS and 175 WRITE IOPS per VM doesn't sound as good and adding a 5th VM will obviously reduce those figures. (assuming each VM requires equal disk access time).

EDIT: actually wont the WRITE IOPS be a lot lower? Each time you write data to a RAID-5 array it is stripped across all the disks. So thats 6 WRITE IOPS to 1 WRITE ratio.

Theres only one thing for it - more spindles rotating faster! I propose RAID-5 7 x 146Gb 15k rpm. (I like spending other peoples money )
    Last edited by tmcd35; 9th December 2009 at 06:38 AM.

Thank Post
    tmcd35,

I like playing devils advocate, you can't and should not accept everything someone says. You need to generate your own opinion.

210 READ IOPS and 175 WRITE IOPS per VM doesn't sound as good and adding a 5th VM will obviously reduce those figures. (assuming each VM requires equal disk access time).
    I must assume that each VM doesn't require equal access. Because that real life.

EDIT: actually wont the WRITE IOPS be a lot lower? Each time you write data to a RAID-5 array it is stripped across all the disks.
    A 10K SAS drive is capable of 140 IOPS, the challenge now lies with the SAS RAID Controller with CACHE to utilise all disks.

So thats 6 WRITE IOPS to 1 WRITE ratio.
    That's worst case scenario, A random write which is less that the RAID5 stripe, performance will be poor. This is well known and understood.

Again this where the RAID Controller makes its money, by bunching up write I/O so when they go to disk we have optimal writes.
    Last edited by apaton; 9th December 2009 at 11:31 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

AIT
    Thank Post
    Besides the argument about hdd configuration.. Personally I would go with his original suggestion even though it doesn’t give you future expandability.
    You are suggesting the G5 series of server... i would seriously look at the new g6 generation.

Vast improved chipset and can deliver far far greater performance. Have recently purchased 3 of the new G6 and i would say they are worth the extra money. I was extremely impressed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread