+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Selling Old All-inOnes to Staff - Price ideas? in Technical; Hi All, Due to a recent upgrade I have found myself with some RM all in ones to sell to ...
    Thank Post

Selling Old All-inOnes to Staff - Price ideas?

Hi All,
    Due to a recent upgrade I have found myself with some RM all in ones to sell to staff. One thing I'm not sure about is how to price them!

They are RM all in ones with a P4 2.6 with 512 Ram and a 40 or 60 GB HD.

Can anyone suggest what we should charge?

I was thinking 50 with no support?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bear in mind that just because you say no support doesn't mean teachers will leave you alone

50 is probably the upper end, could say that and be open to haggling (though obviously without announcing that!). You will have to think about monitors as well because people buying systems around that spec probably don't have a monitor already.

Thank Post
    Are these the All-in-ones without monitors then

Thank Post
    You must be mad, since when has no support been an option with teaching staff. plus under the wee directive the school is still liable for the disposal of them when their scrap, and the regs are getting tighter every year.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerblue View Post
    You must be mad, since when has no support been an option with teaching staff. plus under the wee directive the school is still liable for the disposal of them when their scrap, and the regs are getting tighter every year.
    Not sure about mad? We could get them scrapped for free by a local company BUT it does seem a waste to do so when they are quite usable for standalone purposes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Think you might still have to get the data wiped to satisfy the requirements, and don't forget to consider your Windows licenses if that's an issue... taking a site licensed PC off-site makes it an unlicensed PC at worst, and best its tying up one of your licenses that you could be using for newer computers and is denying you what is yours.

It's generally a PITA and yeah, it's a shame, but the hassle is enormous. Usually the companies taking these things away for free are selling them cheap to underprivileged kids or countries anyway, rather than scrapping them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reggiep View Post
    Due to a recent upgrade I have found myself with some RM all in ones to sell to staff.
    How many do you have? They make lovely, if slightly noisy, thin clients, you just need to stick a boot disk in the floppy drive to get them to boot straight from PXE. If they're anything like ours then they probably come with Windows XP license stickers on the cases, so a wipe-and-reinstall of Windows should do nicely if you do want to use them for staff home machines. 50 each sounds about right to me, although it is going to be a bit tedious reinstalling Windows on each individual machine. Check the USB slots on the sides, they sometimes donn't seem to want to read memory sticks. Obviously you'll need to get accross to staff that Windows doesn't include Microsoft Office, they'll have to buy that themselves if they want it (unless you have an MS Office license that includes home-use rights for staff, of course).

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Are they P4 HTs?

If they are then they'll go like a rocket if you stick 2Gb ram in them. 50 is a bargain!

btw, zero fill is quite satisfactory for data wiping. Anything more than that is just paranoia!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread