+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Hardware Thread, Solid State Drives on servers - advisable? in Technical; Seeing as how solid state drives are getting really affordable, is anyone putting them in servers? I'm looking to buy ...
  1. #1
    OverWorked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    N. Yorks
    Posts
    1,010
    Thank Post
    196
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    30

    Solid State Drives on servers - advisable?

    Seeing as how solid state drives are getting really affordable, is anyone putting them in servers?

    I'm looking to buy SATA drives for a server to use as a Server 2008 DC.

    Are solid state drives reliable and fast enough? Would I still need RAID? (not needing RAID would make it worthwhile as they're twice the price). I'd have two DCs so would still have redundancy there.

    Is anyone actually doing this?

    Thanks.

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Personally id say you'll be alright. Money no object you'd have to go for the intel x25-E. If money is tight the x25-m g2 might be worth a go but do look into the problems intel have had with TRIM and a recent firmware they released. It bricked many drives running Win7 (the only desktop MS OS which impliments TRIM)

  3. Thanks to j17sparky from:

    OverWorked (4th December 2009)

  4. #3
    gshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    2,648
    Thank Post
    164
    Thanked 217 Times in 200 Posts
    Rep Power
    66
    I heard that VMWare are using them in some top-end builds for primary storage due to the access speeds but money wise it's still pricey so unless you're feeling flush might have to wait a while longer for it to go mainstream... the future looks good though

  5. #4
    OverWorked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    N. Yorks
    Posts
    1,010
    Thank Post
    196
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    I was thinking more of the low-end, like the Kingston V-Series, but looking at the quoted read/write speeds they don't look too great compared with SATA-II HDDs. I may stick with disks for now. On the other hand, a DC with plenty of RAM shouldn't be accessing the disk much anyway, so the drive performance won't make much difference.

    I've just got two servers without drives from from ICT-Direct, and was looking at drives for them when I noticed the low cost of some SSDs.

  6. #5


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post
    I was thinking more of the low-end, like the Kingston V-Series, but looking at the quoted read/write speeds they don't look too great compared with SATA-II HDDs. I may stick with disks for now. On the other hand, a DC with plenty of RAM shouldn't be accessing the disk much anyway, so the drive performance won't make much difference.

    I've just got two servers without drives from from ICT-Direct, and was looking at drives for them when I noticed the low cost of some SSDs.
    Whatever you do DONT go for the el cheapo (or in some cases not so cheap) ones. The only ones to go for are the Intels and the ones with the chip with a name beginning with V which i cant for remember atm! lol
    The intel x25-m G2s are actually quite cheap really anyway, but finding them is like rockin horse...
    Theres a link on this forum to a very useful and fairly indepth guide to why not all SSDs are built equal.

  7. Thanks to j17sparky from:

    OverWorked (4th December 2009)

  8. #6
    Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,017
    Thank Post
    300
    Thanked 174 Times in 160 Posts
    Rep Power
    57
    We're running SSDs as Flash Accelerators in our Sun S7410 storage box and they're brilliant. As far as I can see you would still need RAID for redundancy, although the optimal RAID type and configuration may differ between hard disks and SSDs.

    Do you really need this kind of disk bandwidth on a DC though? I wouldn't have thought there would have been much disk bottleneck on a DC just using 15K SAS drives in RAID 10, which is presumably still cheaper than SSDs?

    I'd save the SSDs for your Exchange and SQL boxes.

    Chris

  9. Thanks to Duke from:

    OverWorked (4th December 2009)

  10. #7
    OverWorked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    N. Yorks
    Posts
    1,010
    Thank Post
    196
    Thanked 42 Times in 34 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Whatever you do DONT go for the el cheapo (or in some cases not so cheap) ones. The only ones to go for are the Intels and the ones with the chip with a name beginning with V which i cant for remember atm! lol
    The intel x25-m G2s are actually quite cheap really anyway, but finding them is like rockin horse...
    Theres a link on this forum to a very useful and fairly indepth guide to why not all SSDs are built equal.
    The Kingston M-Series are Intel x25-m, but you're right, I can't find any with my usual suppliers.

    Leave it. I'll stick with disks. Thanks eveyone.

  11. #8


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by OverWorked View Post
    The Kingston M-Series are Intel x25-m, but you're right, I can't find any with my usual suppliers.

    Leave it. I'll stick with disks. Thanks eveyone.
    They have to be the g2 version. The first version suffers from the slow down problem.

  12. #9

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,152
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 767 Times in 578 Posts
    Rep Power
    334
    SATA drives are fine for DC's, spend the extra money on more RAM and an extended runtime UPS

  13. Thanks to teejay from:

    OverWorked (4th December 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. SSD drives in servers
    By zag in forum Hardware
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 13th October 2009, 08:50 AM
  2. [For Sale] 3 RM Servers and 2 Sony AIT-3 External Tapes Drives
    By robknowles in forum Classified Adverts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd July 2009, 09:41 AM
  3. Solid State Drives
    By nutso in forum Hardware
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 29th April 2009, 11:23 AM
  4. Solid State hard drive - IDE?!!
    By contink in forum Hardware
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 15th November 2007, 03:30 PM
  5. Solid State Hard Drives
    By Busybub in forum Hardware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 4th April 2007, 01:12 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •